So many Poecilotherias - what to chose?

boina

Lady of the mites
P. ornata is ordered and confirmed... the breeder also offered me an E. olivacea, a freshly molted and sexed female juvi from his own breeding project for a very good price and guess what I said... :embarrassed::bag:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P. metallica- the smallest of the Poki, and the most gorgeous IMO. or P. rufilata- the largest of the Poki's. I've only owned the latter.

The nice thing about Poki's is they are sexually dimorphic. If you want a female, don't bother buying a bunch of slings, spend your money on one that is about 2". You can sex them ventrally via the dot method. Below is a pic of my rufi with a DLS of about 1.5"

On my rufi the dot was a raised portion of the exoskeleton, looked like a prominent pimple.

I was at a show person selling a bunch of Poki's unsexed. I could look at them all and ID most of the genders, and get a unsexed female at a bargain price. That's what I would do!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I completely agree with you about P.metallica, IMO overrated as hell.

Right, because seeing an animal with the rarest color in nature is just so common :rolleyes:

I'm baffled by the fact that a lot of good people doesn't fall in love with a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus
I'm baffled by the fact that you think that :p I'll take any colorful T over a brown one.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
No, heresy! :pompous:

Praise the Goddess!
Hmmmm!!!
Papa Ciccio is your friend, but you worship an arachnid? Where lies your religious convictions? :troll:

I do agree, P. metallica is not only overrated, but over-priced as well. 24/7/365 can be bought online, breeders (U.S.) w/h visions of $$$ dancing in their heads. I bought five (5) P. tigrinawesseli 1"+ slings for less than one (1) P. metallica 1" sling. More is better, color for me is secondary. Next pokie for me is P. miranda, not "blue" nor rare, but are sporadically available. Metallica ranks last on my pokie list, I can't justify the price.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Why hasn't anyone mentioned P smithi?

I don't own any yet, but I've been looking at pokies a lot lately and it seems there is no love for the P smithi.

Congrats on the order! Pictures are a must once they are in!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hmmmm!!!
Papa Ciccio is your friend, but you worship an arachnid? Where lies your religious convictions? :troll:

I do agree, P. metallica is not only overrated, but over-priced as well. 24/7/365 can be bought online, breeders (U.S.) w/h visions of $$$ dancing in their heads. I bought five (5) P. tigrinawesseli 1"+ slings for less than one (1) P. metallica 1" sling. More is better, color for me is secondary. Next pokie for me is P. miranda, not "blue" nor rare, but are sporadically available. Metallica ranks last on my pokie list, I can't justify the price.
lol, only because you said 'Ciccio' (basically in Italy everyone's called Francesco nickname) instead of "Francesco/Francis" you deserve a 'follow' :)

Actually, while I am a Christian Traditionalist (still not brainwashed) I hate this F-Word 'pope' and I view him as a globalist/freemasonry/materialist douche.

I would place tanks in front of the Vatican if I would the Supreme Commander of Italia, ain't joking, eh.

P.metallica (0.1) here are cheap... still IMO overrated "swag" as hell.

boina

Lady of the mites
Aaand my order for a P. subfusca lowland has finally been confirmed, too (and a C. versicolor added...). That breeder really doesn't read his emails OR text messages until days later. The order will still take a while, because although he's had a sac and plenty of subfuscas he has to sex them and find a female first.

Anyway, the P. ornata is scheduled to arrive on Thursday and it's supposed to be 4 cm body length. I'd estimate that means about 5" or so DLS. I want to put it in it's designated adult enclosure (30x30x50 cm or 12x12x20"). You think that will work or is that too big and I should find some intermediate enclosure?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I got my first, a P regalis adult female and proclaimed I wanted every one the day I got her. She then hid in her cork tube for six months never venturing out (I used to check almost nightly with a red light). Then she started finally venturing out. She's one of my favorites.
I decided I want a green one (rufilata), a blue one (metallica), and a grey one (the rest are grey). I got the rufilata yesterday, she's so pretty. I got my first pokie threat pose too! Loved it. I also picked up a female tigrinawesseli in a trade. Another grey one, I know. It just tells me more grey ones in my future.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
P. metallica- the smallest of the Poki, and the most gorgeous IMO. or P. rufilata- the largest of the Poki's. I've only owned the latter.

The nice thing about Poki's is they are sexually dimorphic. If you want a female, don't bother buying a bunch of slings, spend your money on one that is about 2". You can sex them ventrally via the dot method. Below is a pic of my rufi with a DLS of about 1.5"

On my rufi the dot was a raised portion of the exoskeleton, looked like a prominent pimple.

I was at a show person selling a bunch of Poki's unsexed. I could look at them all and ID most of the genders, and get a unsexed female at a bargain price. That's what I would do!

I've owned both. But P.Metallica has a special place in my heart. I can't resist blue tarantulas.

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
As my fiancée would say with respect to my new hobby, "You keep using the word 'never' but I'm not sure you know what that means."

September 2016: "I like the look of that MF P. miranda, but I'm never going to get a pokie. Just too fast for me."
March 2017: I buy that same MF P. miranda, my second pokie after a P. smithi sling I got in January.
Not that I have a pokie (yet), but I do seem to have some kind of setting in my brain that makes "never" rather mean "sooner or later", since all things that I've emphasized I'd NEVER do I've ended up doing... :angelic: I guess I've learned the hard way that I should be careful around being too determined on the "never"-part, lest I do want to end up doing whatever it may be. :rofl:

I don't remember saying I'll never get a pokie, but I've thought it several times and what have I been doing lately? Eyeing P. rufilata (mostly) and P. metallica with a very strong urge to get one. I'm guessing it's a matter of time before I find myself with pokies in my collection. :rolleyes: Still hesitating, but on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is I'll never get one even though they're pretty and 10 being I went out and got my first one) I'd say I'm currently on 7 or 8... :wideyed:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
P. Subfusca (highland or lowland) are a stunning pokie, they're aggressive eaters, and are well suited to displaying themselves. I love my P.Met though, throws threat postures occasionally, but would rather hide when disturbed, although the last time I fed it (unsexed) it was trying to escape, getting bolder with age me thinks. Pokies whichever you choose are stunning!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Not that I have a pokie (yet), but I do seem to have some kind of setting in my brain that makes "never" rather mean "sooner or later", since all things that I've emphasized I'd NEVER do I've ended up doing... :angelic: I guess I've learned the hard way that I should be careful around being too determined on the "never"-part, lest I do want to end up doing whatever it may be. :rofl:

I don't remember saying I'll never get a pokie, but I've thought it several times and what have I been doing lately? Eyeing P. rufilata (mostly) and P. metallica with a very strong urge to get one. I'm guessing it's a matter of time before I find myself with pokies in my collection. :rolleyes: Still hesitating, but on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is I'll never get one even though they're pretty and 10 being I went out and got my first one) I'd say I'm currently on 7 or 8... :wideyed:
Get one you know it makes sense LOL.

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
So I've finally decided I can't live without at least one Pokie. But there are so many!!! I can't decide what I want and having never kept one I don't know that much about temperament.

So, which one is calmer and less skittish than the rest? Which one is more visible? Which one would you chose? And I know I'm weird, but I don't really like blue spiders all that much, so no P. metallica for me. I like green better. Any green(ish) Pokie?
P. regalia was always my favorite, even above the P. metallica.