So many Poecilotherias - what to chose?

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only have 1 1/2 pokies (one is a new sling). But, I've had my P. regalis for, I think, about a year and a half. She's been great. She hid a lot when she was smaller, but now she hangs out on the side of her enclosure all the time. She's only recently made a bit of webbing that she hides behind once in a while. But, I do have her enclosure in a dark corner where she probably feels very safe. She usually doesn't even hide when I open the cage - just hunkers down where she is and tries to be invisible. All in all, she might be my favorite T I've ever had (I've only had about 10, so not a huge sample size, but still).

cold blood

Staff member
I do think its just individual temperaments. The only one I have that's even in the least bit skittish is my AF striata, but even she is visible almost half the time.

Regalis is the classic and the one I would suggest (although that's up to you to decide).

But striata looks remarkably similar.

vitatta is an under-rated pokie, and IMO looks better than regalis just due to the yellow tinting...but their under arms are a creamy white, and not bright yellow like other species.
My favorite looker though is ornata...just something about the mustard yellows, purples and at the right angles their legs appear almost green and gold....which I like. When people see my pokies in person, ornata always gets the longest looks and most oohs and ahhs. I've never had any more difficulty from her than a regalis or any other species I have kept....although they get huge...very leggy.

boina

Lady of the mites
Sooooo...

I've sent off an email to a breeder asking for a juvi P. subfusca lowland... but I know that breeder is slow to respond to emails, so I might just have to call him tomorrow - I've got his number :p.
And since I couldn't decide I've made another enquiry with another breeder about a P. ornata. Let's see if he's still got one :D.

I also liked the P. rufilata, but in the end I liked the stronger contrasts and patterns of the other two better.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sooooo...

I've sent off an email to a breeder asking for a juvi P. subfusca lowland... but I know that breeder is slow to respond to emails, so I might just have to call him tomorrow - I've got his number :p.
And since I couldn't decide I've made another enquiry with another breeder about a P. ornata. Let's see if he's still got one :D.

I also liked the P. rufilata, but in the end I liked the stronger contrasts and patterns of the other two better.
Sounds like someone is getting all three. :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
all Poecilotheria are amazing, you wont be disappointed with whatever you decide on. :) one of the best genera out there, i always thought they were over hyped to the point where they were almost boring, but after getting into them a few years back i can see where all the praise comes from.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Lies. My P.met is not overrated. You guys just don't understand. :p Chris don't make me flood you with pro P.met pamphlets touting their virtues till you see the light.

I've only had one (the other is still a tiny sling) but he was pretty mild mannered. He just matured and was sent off to meet some ladies. :) He was one of 3 pokies I got when I started keeping OW Ts. I got a second tiny sling as a freebie not long ago so we'll see how this one turns out.

Mine is a looker and so far it's been pretty easy to work with.

My pokies have all been no harder to keep than my baboons or most of my other Ts. As long as you prepare when you work with them and do what you should they are not hard to keep IMO.
Yes...well...that is the same advice they give you to fly a rocket to the moon....:D

@boina
Two? :eek:
You said you'd only get one!
:D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes...well...that is the same advice they give you to fly a rocket to the moon....:D
We did make it back from the moon. ;) Unless that was all faked. :shifty:

I'm not saying they are like a box of kittens but I've not found them any harder to keep than most of my non potato Ts. They are pretty Ts if you're ready for them.

cold blood

Staff member

@boina
Two? :eek:
You said you'd only get one!
:D
You realize we haven't been back to the moon in 40 years...sounds incredible...why don't we go back?

I often wonder if the public realizes that virtually every man who has walked on the moon has made the exact same claim....and that is, that its already inhabited....almost every single astronaut. Buzz claimed that they were being observed from a crater rim.

Last edited:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Poecilotheria are the reason I finally decided to get into Ts. After seeing them I jumped right into reading about them, their temperament, needs, etc. I got a P. fasciata some time later and I adore the little one, even if it mangles exuvia so I can't confirm sex. :banghead:
He/she is very timid and "well behaved" so far. Really just stays in the self made cave with dirt curtains and the cork flat I gave it. FANTASTIC eater too.
I honestly think all of them are beautiful, though my personal favorites looks wise are formosa and vittata. One day I hope to have both species...Maybe others too

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I already have a P. cam, of course :) and it better be a 0.1 - the seller said so, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet (still a juvi).

And while I love the looks of the ornata, I'm not so sure if *attitude* is really what I want to go for ;)
I've had a docile Ornata. I've also had a docile ruffilata, however tarantula temperament differes from specimen to specimen. I love all ponies however and am trying to get as many as possible

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
+1 for P. subfusca lowland.

I believe P. regalis deserves an honorable mention due to its availability and being notably common as a first poec in my experience.

Another +1 for temperament depending on the individual for whichever species you decide on getting.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I only have a P vitatta. I like him and think he's great looking. A little skittish, but overall a great spider.