So many Poecilotherias - what to chose?

boina

Lady of the mites
So I've finally decided I can't live without at least one Pokie. But there are so many!!! I can't decide what I want and having never kept one I don't know that much about temperament.

So, which one is calmer and less skittish than the rest? Which one is more visible? Which one would you chose? And I know I'm weird, but I don't really like blue spiders all that much, so no P. metallica for me. I like green better. Any green(ish) Pokie?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm actually looking to get my first pokie too! I'm going with a P. regalis since they seem to be one of the bolder/more visible of the Poecilotherias. I also think they're the prettiest, personally.

As for green Pokies, P. rufilata get decently green, and Jamie's Tarantulas currently is selling a 1" sling if you're in the states.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
As far as visibility, it just depends on the individual. I've had regalis, ornata, and miranda all stay pretty out in the open, and my miranda is really mild mannered.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The only somewhat 'green' Theraphosidae I can think are 0.1 P.cambridgei (but mind, purists of the 'Holy Grail' Green T's would dislike this).

I don't particularly like 'Pokies' because I consider those (aside for single specimen temperament that always vary) 'run & hide' T's, less a challenge on that sense than certain genus Psalmopoeus.

I completely agree with you about P.metallica, IMO overrated as hell.

My advice is go for a 0.1 P.ornata at least they have a bit of attitude :)

boina

Lady of the mites
As for green Pokies, P. rufilata get decently green, and Jamie's Tarantulas currently is selling a 1" sling if you're in the states.
No, I'm in Europe, but I will rather be looking for a juvi female anyway - and a rufilata is definitely a Pokie I will consider -VERY nice.

boina

Lady of the mites
The only somewhat 'green' Theraphosidae I can think are 0.1 P.cambridgei (but mind, purists of the 'Holy Grail' Green T's would dislike this).

I don't particularly like 'Pokies' because I consider those (aside for single specimen temperament that always vary) 'run & hide' T's, less a challenge on that sense than certain genus Psalmopoeus.

My advice is go for a 0.1 P.ornata at least they have a bit of attitude :)
I already have a P. cam, of course :) and it better be a 0.1 - the seller said so, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet (still a juvi).

And while I love the looks of the ornata, I'm not so sure if *attitude* is really what I want to go for ;)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
No, I'm in Europe, but I will rather be looking for a juvi female anyway - and a rufilata is definitely a Pokie I will consider -VERY nice.
Ah, well good luck finding one over there! Glad to direct you towards a potential pokie. IIRC rufis are also among the biggest of the Pokies.

My advice is go for a 0.1 P.ornata at least they have a bit of attitude
I'm shocked you didn't make mention of "you should get a P. muticus instead!" :rofl: I actually am debating on buying a 1.1 pair along with my P. regalis...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And while I love the looks of the ornata, I'm not so sure if *attitude* is really what I want to go for ;)
Well, but one moment the other 'Pokies' + or - are always fast as light, potent venom OW's as you know, so "you" can end with a defensive P.metallica as well, or a P.regalis more defensive than a P.ornata.

I can tell you that there's P.irminia definitely "worst" (read better, ah ah) than, venom potency aside, P.ornata.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm shocked you didn't make mention of "you should get a P. muticus instead!" :rofl: I actually am debating on buying a 1.1 pair along with my P. regalis...
I'm baffled by the fact that a lot of good people doesn't fall in love with a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) eyes.

Eyes. Really one day she will kill me, because my heart would fail for too much joy if I continue to spot those lovely, "big" eyes when she's near the burrow entrance :kiss:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm baffled by the fact that a lot of good people doesn't fall in love with a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) eyes.

Eyes. Really one day she will kill me, because my heart would fail for too much joy if I continue to spot those lovely, "big" eyes when she's near the burrow entrance :kiss:
A possessor of fateful beauty, truly a Goddess worthy of worship... If only everyone could open their eyes and see the truth!

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, but one moment the other 'Pokies' + or - are always fast as light, potent venom OW's as you know, so "you" can end with a defensive P.metallica as well, or a P.regalis more defensive than a P.ornata.

I can tell you that there's P.irminia definitely "worst" (read better, ah ah) than, venom potency aside, P.ornata.
You are certainly right here... and I have a P. irminia, but when she deigns to come out of her dirt curtain web she's an absolute sweetheart - it seems I have the exception here, so she definitely didn't prepare me for fast and furious. Still, the ornata does look good... :penguin:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
When I got my first pokie, I was trying to decide too. Eventually, I decided to buy a juvie P. rufilata, and I'd recommend them as a decent start in pokies. They seem to appreciate lower temps (68-72 F) and are pretty hardy. I don't worry too much about humidity with mine, just give the sub a nice watering every other week or so (My enclosure has a screen top, so it dries out quickly :)). They also get huge! 9-10" is a good-sized adult female. Mine is about 3-4" and does well with just a slanted piece of bark and a fake plant. As for temperment, I hear they mellow out when big, but I'm not sure. My P. rufilata is not very skittish and likes to sit in its burrow or behind the bark. They are gorgeous too! They have an overall green color as others have said, with red setae all over. Love all the pokies' look, but the green really stands out to me. As long as you don't mind the size factor, they are really great. Relatively cheap too, slings don't go for too much :D

Edit, in the US I bought my 3" juvie P. rufilata at roughly $60 at my local expo. Figured that may help :D

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So, which one is calmer and less skittish than the rest? Which one is more visible?
These questions are almost impossible to answer, as each individual will have its own personality. During the day they are almost always hiding, they are very light sensitive spiders. However, as night approaches they all come out looking for food. They are pretty skittish, and usually if they sense your in the room will bolt to their hides.

If you really want a green T, P.rufilata is a good choice, although they are more red and yellow then green. Another very stunning looking T is P. subfusca lowland, one of my personal favorites. If you want size get P.regalis,P.ornata or P.rufilata. All Poeciletheria grow fast and are great eaters, the most defensive in the genus has been P.ornata IME.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The P.sp lowland is literally the only Pokie i'd consider...
But I will never get pokies.
Right? Maybe?
Darn it. :shy:

boina

Lady of the mites
These questions are almost impossible to answer, as each individual will have its own personality. During the day they are almost always hiding, they are very light sensitive spiders. However, as night approaches they all come out looking for food. They are pretty skittish, and usually if they sense your in the room will bolt to their hides.

If you really want a green T, P.rufilata is a good choice, although they are more red and yellow then green. Another very stunning looking T is P. subfusca lowland, one of my personal favorites. If you want size get P.regalis,P.ornata or P.rufilata. All Poeciletheria grow fast and are great eaters, the most defensive in the genus has been P.ornata IME.
I know that individuals may vary, so I was just asking which one is statistically more likely to be calm and visible ;). If it turns out different, so be it.

P. sp. lowland is another one I'll definitely consider - so pretty :)

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
But I will never get pokies.
Right? Maybe?
Darn it. :shy:
As my fiancée would say with respect to my new hobby, "You keep using the word 'never' but I'm not sure you know what that means."

September 2016: "I like the look of that MF P. miranda, but I'm never going to get a pokie. Just too fast for me."
March 2017: I buy that same MF P. miranda, my second pokie after a P. smithi sling I got in January.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As my fiancée would say with respect to my new hobby, "You keep using the word 'never' but I'm not sure you know what that means."

September 2016: "I like the look of that MF P. miranda, but I'm never going to get a pokie. Just too fast for me."
March 2017: I buy that same MF P. miranda, my second pokie after a P. smithi sling I got in January.
I know the feeling.
Last year around this time, 'i will never have baboon spiders, too fast and furious for me.'
Now I own three...and a fourth is coming in in two weeks...

basin79

ArachnoGod
My favourite pokie is the Subfusca Lowland looks wise. I have one and my lass is out every night but is really, really skittish.

I also have a Tigrinawesseli girl. I've almost forgotten how bonny she is as she's been hidden away for around 2 months now.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Lies. My P.met is not overrated. You guys just don't understand. :p Chris don't make me flood you with pro P.met pamphlets touting their virtues till you see the light.

I've only had one (the other is still a tiny sling) but he was pretty mild mannered. He just matured and was sent off to meet some ladies. :) He was one of 3 pokies I got when I started keeping OW Ts. I got a second tiny sling as a freebie not long ago so we'll see how this one turns out.

Mine is a looker and so far it's been pretty easy to work with.

My pokies have all been no harder to keep than my baboons or most of my other Ts. As long as you prepare when you work with them and do what you should they are not hard to keep IMO.