So many babies :)

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
Up until now, I have never really had more than a couple of Ts in my possession. I figured that I would invest my time and efforts in the care of a select few really special Ts. The I went to Carlsbad, and that idea just flew out the window. I was ready and willing to enhance my collection of 4 to no more than 6, thinking that I wouldn't be able to handle too many more. Dear lord. 18! I come home with 18 more! Needless to say, family, loved ones, and total strangers are asking me, "Why would you want 22 Tarantulas???" And before I went home with them, I didn't really know either. I love Ts, I have since I was little, but never thought that I would get OBCESSED, as it has been said. But now, when I go home, and spend a good hour or two feeding them, changing cages, and returning to a newly moulted baby, I can't believe that I have gone so long with so few. And now I am thinking, why not make it an even 25? Or a good round number?
I had such a great time with everyone at Carlsbad, it was fun to finally let my energy for my girls out in all its glory, and not worry about a curious look from others. :)

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
100 is a good round number:D

Actually, I know what you mean. I only wanted to get one. I now have five just a few months after getting my first. Now I'm looking to get more and am reading my "Tarantula Keeper's Guide" and thinking about breeding them.

Is crack this addictive?;) =D

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Damn 18 new T's at once just sounds so wild :) I wish I could get that many but my wife won't let me :( :D

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started out with one and didn't tell my family. A year later I have 26 sittin in my room. I just went out and got them and didn't say anything cuz I knew my mother would try to talk me out of getting the cute little critters. She is ok as long as they all stay in my room. Its a great way to keep the rents and siblings from snooping around my room. Only problem was when I went to college they all had to stay home. I was worried at first but I ended coming home every weekend to feed, and got my little bro to keep there water dishes filled during the week. Needless to say my roommate was not very happy with a molt sitting on my desk let alone my baby Psalmopoeus irminia.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i've only had ten since i started in may. :)

i'm getting more brave and more secure in holding them too, i was a former arachnophobe.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L. mactans,

Now you know why I have so many. I was afraid I was going to kill mine by taking care of them, so I got more. Now I spend a lot of time in the spider room because I want to and I need to. I'm finding more and more that breeding is where it's at for me. Unfortunately, I know it's also very frustrating... just see Phillip's thread in regards to the T. blondi breeding.

On a side note, loved spending time with you in Carlsbad and we're looking forward to seeing you there next year.

Botar

PS - How did that picture from Golden Coral turn out?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Its funny how many tarantulas we all end up with. I started out with 1, just like most of us. Mine was a Rose. She was the only tarantula for over 6 months.
After that they starting showing up at about 2 per month. Then of course there were the spiderlings from my Usambara and a clutch of Brazilian Reds I happened on, so on and so forth. I think at last count I have 132. The most at any one time I've had is 160.
What an addicting hobby, but in the same breath, what a rewarding hobby!
Welcome and enjoy!
Ralph

wooz

Arachnopeon
I have just One Rosea. But i want more :) and i want to get " the tarantula keeper's guide" but, there, in lithuania, i can' find :(

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
You should be able to purchase the T keepers guide on the net.
I picked my copy up at amazon.com
If there are any shows in your area, maybe you can get one there. It is around $14 USD in paperback:)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought 25 was a nice stop point......
The figured, eh, why not 50.....

I have finaly come to the conclusion I am not stoping as long as I Can buy more T's.....
So do what the rest of us to!
Say screw it to the numbers and grin alot!

Congrates on your new 18.

Don't forget pictures!

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by L_mactans
...but never thought that I would get OBCESSED, as it has been said. ...
I know the feeling... I have been in this for less than a month... and spend a lot of time of my day searching for T information, watching, taking pictures, measuring the spiders, and reading and posting information in arachnopets.com. I have to find a psychologist that explain me the addiction of T fans :confused:

wooz

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
Amazon has international listings, this one is for the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...45321/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_3_6/026-7950933-3980463

There are others if you can't use that one.
Contact them for more info:)
I hope you can get it, it is a really great book.
yes i believe that it's great book, but it's very expencive for me, cuz i live in lithuania. so maybe i found people whom read this book, and can give me. but i don't believe, that i find. :)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We have 4 Ts now and is thinking about getting 2 more in July then the NC Show is in Aug and the SC show is in Sept. so we may get 4 there since we can cut out shipping that way. And either next month or at the shows I will get my A.Versicolor! :p

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
I have the copy of TKG, for about 3.5 years now. All beaten & dog eared and ragged, but still a great read nonetheless. I already have at least 3 more that I have in mind to get, have to make that 25. =D

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: Re: So many babies :)

Originally posted by ines68
I know the feeling... I have been in this for less than a month... and spend a lot of time of my day searching for T information, watching, taking pictures, measuring the spiders, and reading and posting information in arachnopets.com. I have to find a psychologist that explain me the addiction of T fans :confused:
If you are like me, my T's are my therapy. I love to spend time with my T's and it is a good stress reliever for me. I also spend alot of time between feeding and caring for them and posting on this site, but it is fun.

Speaking of babies, wait until you have an eggsack hatch, that is an adventure.

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: So many babies :)

Originally posted by SpiderTwin

Speaking of babies, wait until you have an eggsack hatch, that is an adventure.
I need a eggsack hatch!!!! I agree they are the best therapy :)

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cannot live without my T's. All of my babies are staying at my fiance's place a 100 miles away from where I am stuck at, and it is torture. When they are at home with me they live on my night stand. They are the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see before I fall asleep. The T's keep me company and relax me better than my dog ever could. I can watch my G. rosie play bulldozer and move her earthworks around each night. I can watch my Avic.'s build their tube webs. And, I can look at my P. irminia's substrate covered nest and hope she comes out to eat soon...