So let's discuss the sealing themselves in thing

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
So I know it's normal t behavior for one to seal itself up in its burrow for a while. My question is what is the average time frame? How often does the average species do this? Not talking about premolt holing up just random. I know this probably changes between species and individuals. But common go out on a limb here and generalize, it'll be ok. Are there any genus that are less prone to this behavior? Im saving money to get a third, but both my sling and subadult have both sealed themselves up for several weeks now. Kind of making me rethink that third purchase.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never had any of mine seal themselves in their burrows randomly. They've only ever done that when they're premolt - and only a couple of them sealed themselves in even then. I have a wild-caught Aphonopelma (So Cal native species) that sealed her(?)self up in her hide by piling dirt/sand in the doorway. She stayed inside for about four months before emerging freshly molted. My T. stirmi webbed herself into her burrow when she was premolt and stayed there for about three months before kicking out the molt and emerging with a fresh fuzzy butt. My A. versicolor stayed in his web hammock when he was premolt - but didn't bother sealing it up, so I'm not sure how much was him hiding away and how much was him just being a spider.

cold blood

Staff member
There is no averages, each time is unique, even with the same spider.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Why do you think we all have so many Ts? It's so we have 3 to look at while the other 120 are in pre-molt hiding..

Your shooting yourself in the foot by not buying a 3rd T ;)

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Why do you think we all have so many Ts? It's so we have 3 to look at while the other 120 are in pre-molt hiding..

Your shooting yourself in the foot by not buying a 3rd T ;)
Haha ya know I thought about that. Convincing my family to give me Christmas money for another lifeless tank though...

Ok so the sealing your self in is more than likely a premolt thing. I can handle that. My A. seemani is a nice shade of tan now. I can see her a little bit through the glass side. She was eating pretty heavy for the first few weeks. About 1 inch long dubia every 2-3 days.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My KBT seems to seal itself in permanently (there is no visible entrance), I have to leave food items on the surface and they disappear during the night :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have never experienced it unless they are going to moult and about 50% my juveniles and adults do it.
You can't guess how long that will be or if they will do it every time. It's impossible. Both my Grammostola pulchripes, one male and one female, were holed up for more than two months, with the bulk of that time being prior to moulting and about three weeks of it being post moult.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
My only T that does this is my OBT, which is my only OW. I can see her through the back of her enclosure, but she always closes her burrow back up after catching feeders. I can never be sure with her, so I just throw in crix and take them out the next day if they aren't eaten. Never really make it a huge stresser.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Most of my T's seal themselves in when they molt. I've got a MF P. Striata who has been sealed in for several weeks right now.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
got a C. marshalli that sealed the entrance to her burrow acoule weeks ago. Im thinking premolt but with an obligate burrower Im not sure lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
got a C. marshalli that sealed the entrance to her burrow acoule weeks ago. Im thinking premolt but with an obligate burrower Im not sure lol
Up until recently, my C. darlingi was behind a dirt curtain for about six months. I missed her, but she came out bigger and hungry. They know when it's time.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
It's hard when they dig in and close up. I've got that cute little G. pulcher. from cold blood a couple of weeks ago. She scarfed down a med. meal worm, then buried herself in her container. She dumped her water dish three times, used it as a lid. She must have gotten tired of me peeking at her because she filled in her hide completely!
Hey they do this for a T reason. Ya just gotta accept it and move on!;)
As my Tai Chi master once told me: "You're learning patience now."

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
My G. pulchripes has done this when she molts in the fall. She's done it anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
My two l.parahybana slings dug borrows and spend all their time in them. They maybe coming out at night am obviously not awake or home to see. Sometimes their food is moved or whatever but I haven't seen them out in a long time.
One of them stuffed his food into the bottom of its burrow, can't get it out so now is building another.