So I've gone a little roach crazy

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always liked exotic roaches, but I've been out of the hobby for a while because I was in college and working full-time and such. Post-graduation I swore I'd get back to it and I have. Since June I've brought home 9 roach species: dubia, lateralis, lobster, hisser, Halloween hisser, headlamp, ivory head, yellow porcelain, and ghost/chrome porcelain. My lateralis, dubia, and lobster colonies are pretty well established already (surprise, surprise, right? I swear those things will breed no matter what). The other colonies are really young. Loving having them again, though. The ivory heads (Eublaberus sp. "Ivory Head") and the headlamp (Eublaberus sp. "Pantanal") are turning into fast favorites. Both species hide under the substrate until you put fresh food in, then they either poke their heads up and eat or drag the food under the substrate. If you like Dune, these species are pretty entertaining.

I also have multiples of three mantis species (Chinese, Violin, and Asian Giant), five Ts, and a scorpion. Definitely back in the hobby. Building a special shelf in my room this week for my enclosures.

Debra

Arachnopeon
My lateralis, dubia, and lobster colonies are pretty well established already (surprise, surprise, right? I swear those things will breed no matter what).

When you say that, how do you mean? We have had to restock Dubia Roaches for feeders while waiting months for our colony to establish which we are still waiting to happen. It’s really frustrating. I mean I’m having a strangely good time keeping them but I mean I have to be doing something wrong.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my dubias in a large, opaque tub with deep, coarse coir substrate and dense egg crate on one side. I have a seedling heat mat taped to the egg crate side for supplemental heating. I give water crystals but also mist a bit on the cool side of the cage to give them a range of conditions. I feed a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, cricket chow, and unmedicated chicken feed. I've not had any issues with this set-up. How are yours set up?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing, in my experience, was that my dubia roaches fed better and seemed less stressed after being moved into the opaque container. Doubled their feeding response within a few days. If yours are in a transparent container, you may want to try that.

Debra

Arachnopeon
Well, due to space constraints they are in a smaller bin than when we started. It’s clear but they are in a dark space under the viv. This is the only way we have found to get humidity in there. Misting was causing problems. I can see a couple of females with egg sacks and we have a good ratio of male to female though it’s difficult to get an exact count now. This bin is longer than the last bin we tried so I can fit more fruit and veggies which was a problem before. The other was simply taller and they all hung out in the middle crates anyway.
I’m only worried about it not thriving because I read in here somewhere that they are very space conscious. The only thing I can think to help with that is to have a separate bin for when they get pregnant and then move them back when they have laid the egg sack. I’m really interested in experimenting with this actually but we really need a sustainable food supply for our growing girl.

Debra

Arachnopeon
One thing, in my experience, was that my dubia roaches fed better and seemed less stressed after being moved into the opaque container. Doubled their feeding response within a few days. If yours are in a transparent container, you may want to try that.[/QUOTE]

So with space being an issue, part of the problem is that while I’m ok with touching and holding them now, I don’t like the element of surprise when one peeks up and says hello.
My son is three and the office is the playroom. I’m totally cool with this because it’s a safe place for him to just enjoy the chaos he creates and I’ve had fewer near death experiences. Once he’s old enough, we get that room back and I can have room for the larger opaque containers. I could paint their current one but would that hurt them?
We had the large opaque tub in the hall closet and there’s no outlet and it’s probably just the coldest place in the house so they weren’t doing anything. Now I at least see an egg sack here and there. They are in the dark save for any light that shines through from the viv.

Debra

Arachnopeon
It may be worth noting that the feeders are in the same type of container, out in the open and they eat like they are never going to eat again. Which, you know, for about twenty of them a day is the case.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could even just tape some construction paper around the enclosure to give them more protection from the light. They seem to be very photophobic in my experience.

Debra

Arachnopeon
You could even just tape some construction paper around the enclosure to give them more protection from the light. They seem to be very photophobic in my experience.

I was thinking of making them curtains. I know. It’s silly. If they didn’t need ventilation it would be done by now. We have construction paper that my son give zero cares about so I will do that until I figure out the elastic curtain thing. I could always superglue fabric or paper to the top and leave the existing air holes.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Eublaberus roaches have been very satisfying for that "sand worm" fix if you're a fan. They're nice for handling, too, usually very docile and big enough to show to people if you're trying to introduce them to roaches.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Rough and rude rules of thumb with roaches. American and European roaches are photophobic. Several Asian species are attracted to light. All roaches are nocturnal - it's genetic: birds are their #1 natural enemy and are mostly day feeders. Want a thriving roach colony? Leave them fed and undisturbed in the dark. Provide a dim light source to aid Asian species to breed.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My room doesn't have any overhead light, so it's kind of dim in there even if I have my reading light on. The roaches seem to like it.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Just got my first pet roaches, six simandoa conserfariam. Having fun and (hopefully) helping conserve a species, can't beat that.