So it's out..

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, so I just tried to give Peso his first live feed...and now I have a small cricket in my room somewhere. If a cricket escapes, where will it run to?
Paul

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sometimes you will find them scurrying around or you will hear them chirp and that will give away its position. Chances are you are screwed though. DOnt bother looking too hard.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Backup?

Okay,
I stuck a backup in the freezer for no more than five minutes...but he's pretty still now. Dead?

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello and I have crickets that manage to escape all the time. But we are lucky and will see them walking through the house so we just catch them and they get to go and meet one of my 60 at that given moment!!!!!!!! I even have my 4 year old daughter, Hope, trained to catch them and bring it to me!!!!!

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They normally walk around the edge of the floor next to the baseboards. Their wall huggers.

Ernie

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have MANY crickets out and about, plus flightless fruit flies, etc.
I usually find at least one in the bathtub in the morning for some reason!
Sometimes the house spiders get them as well.
As you can tell, I'm not too worried about it :)

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What T?

Hey petitegreen, that's a beautiful T you posted in the thread. What is it? I know what you're all saying: "Rookie, Rookie, Rookie, you're on this board often enough, you should know." I'm still learning.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha!

Haha!
You're not gonna believe this. I just replied to myself, and I re-read MrTs post, so I decided to check around the baseboard in my dorm room to find this little pinhead (a little bigger than a pinhead). He's been under my desk since yesterday. Too bad Peso ate last night.
Paul

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
In my house we have a sort of "wild kingdom" thing going on with all the escapees - crickets, mealworm beetles, lobster roaches. My cats hunt them, the wild house spiders and house centipedes hunt them. My husband won't hunt them but he will rat them out to one of the cats if he sees one :)
I actually had a very enterprising house spider, one of those tiny fat bummed cobweb weaving ones, sneak into my sling drawer and build a web in a corner just above the water. He's in heaven - heat, humidity, and any pinheads that scale the vials and escape are his. Keeping my eye on him though - he can't get into the vials but the minute I think he's trying he gets the boot.

Gail

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I average about 6 lost crix per night. This is a grrrreat time to have a cat!

He hunts them down and yowls at me until I come and get them. If I take more than a minute the crickets become a nutritious snack for him (I think when he yowls he is telling me get here quick or I am gunna eat this!)

The punishment for escape is DEATH BY VENOM INJECTION mmmwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!! (gotta love those T. blondi that never refuse a snack eh?)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah... welcome to every invert/herp owners life....
My apartment is covered in 100s of crickets at any one time... i just don't care.....

Sometimes i let my bearded dragon out around the apartment for a hunt.. sometimes its the sugargliders.....

Sometimes the ferrets play with them....
Sometimes a house spider actually gets a good meal....

In the end i just don't care one bit....

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rookie!

:D Tanji says thank you very much for the compliment! She is an Acanthoscurria Juruenicola (orange banded birdeater) I have had her since she was a 1/4" sling and just look at her now. Quite an aggressive eater and getting ready to shed again.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow. How old is Tanji in terms of months and years? Your T has grown up quite a bit.
The Rookie

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sometimes they try to crawl up your wall, given that the wall is non-smooth enough. I have seen them do that many times.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i won't use pesticides around my house, so i have a few different layers of animals prowling and protecting. the tiny little ant-eating spiders not only keep out the six-legged marauders, they protect my slings too. ants will chow down your slings (and adults...) if they can find them. the larger house spiders, black widows, etc patrol for crix and roaches, anything else yummy. outside i've got a ton of crab spiders and argiopes, though i still have to flood an ant nest once in a while it's much nicer to have cobwebs than chemical residue....

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I once dropped a container of 30+ crickets in my upstairs tarantula room, i captured all but a few but the next day my brother who lives in our basement says crickts fell and hit him on the head when he was walking under the heat register =) i often lose a cricket or 2 and every time they have made it to my basement for my brother to find =)

Mark

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
as long as its not a gravid female escaping, then everything should be fine.
hee hee

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rookie

I have had Tanji now for two years. I got her from Spiderpatch in California. I also have a Hondurian curly hair almost as big as Tanji. They are both pigs when it comes to eating. So I believe in letting them eat til their hearts content!:D I have quite a few really big ones like a Goliath that is 9", a Salmon pink, a Pampas Tawny red, a Cameroon red, an Asian chevron, Columbian giant redleg, and a Malaysian giant tan, and a Thai zebra, and an Indian ornamental that are really good sized. And I am proud of each and every one of them.:D (even when they get a little nasty with me!)

Attachments

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just incase anyone was wondering that picture was of my Goliath, Nakitta.:D Boy can she hiss, I love it!!!!

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chris......my big female cat (i say big but not really too big she is only about 13 pounds and big boned) does that too...if she gets a cricket it is usually just an instant meal for her.....but if she gets the occasional palmetto bug that gets in the house...she will hold it in her mouth and "yowl" and sometimes she comes walking through the house with them in her mouth "yowling" and she brings them to me......i usually just let her torture them to death and then clean up the bug parts the next morning......i dont take her "kill" away for the spider.....she catches them fair-and-square........the yowling is quite amusing sometimes.....i love the way cats will communicate with you in so many different ways.......their language is so complex compared to other domestic animals...