So is keeping a black widow easier than keeping, say, a venomous snake?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i got a black widow female....great pet....not as potent as everone thinks...only make you sick for a few days, cause they inject little venom...but hey i also got deathstalker scorps, and really want a box jellyfish that can kill 60 adult humans in less than 4 minutes, but thats me....:D

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
I would have thought keeping Chironex sp. or indeed any other jellyfish would be quite difficult, given the potential space one would need, at least for something the size of a large box jellyfish.

It may be possible to keep irukanji (Malo sp. Carukia sp.) in captivity, those guys are tiny, so tiny in fact that bumping into the side of a container is enough to kill them outright, so transporting a wild-caught irukanji jellyfish to a captive tank would be bloody tricky, but AFAIK they have been kept in captivity, and recently, actually bred from.

Far more potent venom, weight for weight, than a box jellyfish, far nastier venom too mind you, at least with a box jellyfish, if you haven't died within one hour minutes, you almost certainly won't, irukanji sting on the other hand will have you screaming for days. Quite shocking how effective that toxin must be as a catecholamine releaser given the miniscule quantity that can be ejected from a single nematocyst, and how few tentacles of such a small size are capable of causing irukanji type envenomations. I would love to know the EC:50 figures and binding affinity of irukanji venom for sodium channels.

Spider/snake wise, spider of course, even the bad tempered, highly toxic species like Phoneutria, you have to get close enough, they cannot launch themselves through the air at you, one must give them the physical proximity to strike, they cannot produce it for themselves, a snake or centipede on the other hand, has lightening fast reactions and can easily decide that today is just not their day, and go take some annoyance out on the hand that feeds it from quite some distance away.

Spider on a bad day: Grrr, I am hungry, pissed off and frustrated...ooohh lookie here, my keeper, come on, just come on, bring those fingers closer so I can chew them off..just do it...look at me, such a good lil' girl, butter wouldn't melt in my chelicera, just bring those fingers close, I won't hurt....

Snake/centipede? hey look, there is that dickhead that keeps feeding me the same old dead rats, day after day, Oi you over there!*CHOMP*, Ahh, much better, YES! got the little B*****d.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i was reading about a box jelly off the coast of australia that was as potent as i was talking about...completely daydreaming, but thought it would be awesome to have one....and yeah actually finding someone in australia, then getting it shipped, and it still living...doubt thatll happen....

I would have thought keeping Chironex sp. or indeed any other jellyfish would be quite difficult, given the potential space one would need, at least for something the size of a large box jellyfish.

It may be possible to keep irukanji (Malo sp. Carukia sp.) in captivity, those guys are tiny, so tiny in fact that bumping into the side of a container is enough to kill them outright, so transporting a wild-caught irukanji jellyfish to a captive tank would be bloody tricky, but AFAIK they have been kept in captivity, and recently, actually bred from.

Far more potent venom, weight for weight, than a box jellyfish, far nastier venom too mind you, at least with a box jellyfish, if you haven't died within one hour minutes, you almost certainly won't, irukanji sting on the other hand will have you screaming for days. Quite shocking how effective that toxin must be as a catecholamine releaser given the miniscule quantity that can be ejected from a single nematocyst, and how few tentacles of such a small size are capable of causing irukanji type envenomations. I would love to know the EC:50 figures and binding affinity of irukanji venom for sodium channels.

Spider/snake wise, spider of course, even the bad tempered, highly toxic species like Phoneutria, you have to get close enough, they cannot launch themselves through the air at you, one must give them the physical proximity to strike, they cannot produce it for themselves, a snake or centipede on the other hand, has lightening fast reactions and can easily decide that today is just not their day, and go take some annoyance out on the hand that feeds it from quite some distance away.

Spider on a bad day: Grrr, I am hungry, pissed off and frustrated...ooohh lookie here, my keeper, come on, just come on, bring those fingers closer so I can chew them off..just do it...look at me, such a good lil' girl, butter wouldn't melt in my chelicera, just bring those fingers close, I won't hurt....

Snake/centipede? hey look, there is that dickhead that keeps feeding me the same old dead rats, day after day, Oi you over there!*CHOMP*, Ahh, much better, YES! got the little B*****d.

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
Keeping Chironex/Chiropsalmus jellyfish, if you could actually score some without shipping via mail could be done, if you had the space for a large saltwater aquarium, I believe, with the emphasis on the LARGE.

Their venom is potent, a mixture of myotoxic, all around cytotoxic and cardiotoxic components, the cardiotoxic fraction in particular has great rapidity of action, hence people dying of cardiac arrest (as opposed to just drowning in pain) before they even get to the boat or to shore.

Takes contact with some considerable length of tentacle though, a few feet usually to cause a fatality, although not nearly so much is needed to completely ruin your day, the box jellyfish can be large, and have many long tentacles, Chironex fleckeri can be the size of a football, and pack a vicious looking cluster of tentacles from the corners of the bell.

Those jellyfish of the varieties that have been conclusively found to produce an irukanji syndrome type envenomation on the other hand seem to be tiny, 1 CM or less, and do not have anything NEAR the size, or number of tentacles, and thus nematocysts that a large Chironex could bring to bear, and with them fishing for active prey, and how physically vulnerable the irukanji jellyfish are to fatal injury, that venom has to be so damned potent that it would kill a fish, or prawn instantly.

Irukanji couldn't be shipped, a drifting impact against a stationary tank will kill Carukia barnesi, although they have been raised and bred in captivity.

Compare:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/959097_f248.jpg

http://www.reef.crc.org.au/images/aboutreef/irukandji2.jpg

Carukia barnesi, the prototypical irukanji, in a vial, size of your little finger nail, four shortish tentacles set at cardinal points around the bell (interestingly enough Carukia barnesi doesn't just have tentacles, but its bell also packs a load of nematocysts, so all parts of this species can sting, I think it may be related to how easy to kill it is, and if attacked, the fact that it would need to be capable of killing its assailant on the very moment of contact if it is to survive)

Now look at the tentacles on Chironex, you can just imagine how many orders of magnitude a big football-sized sea wasp is capable of delivering from a major envenomation, with those big, thick clusters of tentacles.

http://www.natureswindow.dk/RMI_2007/rmi20071011_079.jpg

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
An actual box jellyfish, as in Chirodropid cubomedusae? or the tiny irukanjis, such as Malo, or Carukia?

Chironex you might be able to get away with, MIGHT, if it could be sent in an enclosure, and shipped with special warnings to the company in advance, using overnight shipping.

Not sure how they react to stress though, hell, I don't even know if something who's central nervous system amounts to a muscular ring around what is at one and the same moment, both its mouth and its anus CAN experience stress.

Sending a bucketfull of sea wasps wrapped in xmas paper on the other hand, or doing it on the cheap, isn't going to end up well for the poor things.

As for irukanji jellyfish, shipping isn't going to work unless you have your own boat, or one for hire to take care of it yourself, no way in hell could they ever be shipped anywhere, just clipping the side of an aquarium can kill these guys.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i just have a dvd on jellyfish, and i cant remember what kind, but it said the box jellyfish....and it said they were so poisonous because they were slow movers, and the prey had to be stopped dead in its tracks....

An actual box jellyfish, as in Chirodropid cubomedusae? or the tiny irukanjis, such as Malo, or Carukia?

Chironex you might be able to get away with, MIGHT, if it could be sent in an enclosure, and shipped with special warnings to the company in advance, using overnight shipping.

Not sure how they react to stress though, hell, I don't even know if something who's central nervous system amounts to a muscular ring around what is at one and the same moment, both its mouth and its anus CAN experience stress.

Sending a bucketfull of sea wasps wrapped in xmas paper on the other hand, or doing it on the cheap, isn't going to end up well for the poor things.

As for irukanji jellyfish, shipping isn't going to work unless you have your own boat, or one for hire to take care of it yourself, no way in hell could they ever be shipped anywhere, just clipping the side of an aquarium can kill these guys.

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
Thats it exactly.

The smaller the animal, the physically weaker, generally follows it is the deadlier.

A gaboon viper, for instance, is a big, bad downright mean snake, and whilst its venom is potent, and delivered in a massive, deeply injected quantity, weight for weight, is a relatively slower acting toxin, where prey items are concerned, cytotoxins usually are, compare a large target given a defensive or aggressive bite, rather than a feeding strike to a rodent, for instance, which would die within seconds or minutes most likely.

Gaboon viper, whomping great dose of venom, likely enough to kill its target twenty times over, but may take minutes, maybe 15-20 minutes, or even more, to damage a human, or heavily built simian threat to the point where the target is rendered either dead or incapacitated, that is a lot of time for an enraged victim to try and tear the snake a new rectum before death occurs, representing a huge risk, even to a powerful snake.

According to wikipedia, a gaboon viper is capable of delivering a maximum of almost 2.5g of venom (dry weight) in a strike, weight for weight, the venom doesn't compare with that of say, a mamba, or a taipan, but estimates based on monkeys of similar weight, project a figure, again according to wikipedia, of between 14 and 90-100mg of venom to kill a 70kg human, so even in a truly massive overdose that would still take multiple minutes, to multiple tens of minutes to cripple or kill.

I.E enough at the MINIMUM potency figured, that snake would be capable of dumping enough venom into the target to kill a man 25 times over, or if that lowest estimate is closer to true on average, then almost 180 times enough to kill a man...damn! that is one snake not to be crossed:eek:

Then look at a sea snake, with tiny fangs, and a much less physically powerful body, said snake, has neither the 4 foot lunge, the two and a half inch wicked pair of daggers for fangs, or the capability to deliver a massive quantity of venom, so it has to be able to kill its target very quickly, with a minimum of struggle, such a snake could doubtfully afford to employ a haemolytic cytotoxin, which takes minutes to act, and deliver multiple orders of magnitude less venom, so it must act orders of magnitude faster and be similarly more lethal weight for weight by a long shot.

Granted a sea snake isn't likely to go biting any chimps, but aquatic predators, that sea snake doesn't have the advantage of being a 5 foot monster the thickness of a mans leg with fangs the size of your little finger that can be driven instantly, deep down into highly vascularised tissue for rapid absorption, but tiny fangs that are hard to bite with, a body that could be snapped in half by a powerfully built marine predator if it had time to act before the venom paralysed the target, so that neurotoxin has to act FAST and be very potent.

Likewise look at scorpions, you have a big beast like P.imperator, the tank of the scorp world, with a sting not much worse than a wasp, or a chilean red knee tarantula, but with heavily muscled claws that have no problem at all smashing prey to meatpaste.

Then look at say, Leiurus, or even Centruroides, small delicate claws, that could be broken by a bite from a mammalian predator, a rats jaws could take those claws clean off, whereas the emp would likely smash the rats head to meatpaste, a sting from the emp is just going to irritate the rat, but a whack from the deathstalker, with its potent venom, that rat is screwed big time.

Yet again, look at Dendrobatid frogs, vulnerable, squishy little tiny frogs, but packing such a potent toxin, that merely touching a tissue that one such frog had walked on, has been known to kill a dog in less than half a minute, and a blowgun dart tainted with batrachotoxin would paralyse a human almost instantaneously, and if it came from Phyllobates terribilis and was dosed with a lot of toxin, might even result in death before, or moments after the target hits the ground.

And cone snails, there is another good example, they are slow moving, and have no other way to defend themselves whatsoever, as many species hunt fast moving fish that could easily take a pound of flesh out of the cone snail. I have seen video clips of such a snail hunting, and a cone shell took down a fish at least 4 times its size, with a single tiny harpoon, the fish was dead before it had time to twitch.

It seems that the less physically imposing the species, and the less weight of venom they can deliver, the deadlier the venom has to be, and the faster acting.

Dinoponera/Paraponera/Megaponera 'bullet ant' can deliver 1ug, maybe 2ug, 2.5ug absolute top range, and enough stings to count on the fingers of a single hand, could, if unlucky, kill, that is a miniscule quantity of venom, packed by a 1-2 inch ant, and not all that venom will be poneratoxin itself, but a load of other crap like histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin, maybe, just going from actives in other hymenopteran venom minor constituents, along with the liquid vehicle itself.

Stands to reason, seeing how the size/physical strength to venom LD:50 ratio appears inversely proportional, that a tiny wee jellyfish like Carukia barnesi is going to have to pack an absolute brute of a toxic payload in those microscopic nematocysts, spread on 4 tentacles that could be between 2 inches long, and a meter or so, along with the bell, just think how bloody potent that venom must be, if something the size of a nematocyst, distributed over 4 2 inch tentacles is sufficient to protect the jellyfish, which will die from the trauma of drifting into the side of an aquarium, that venom must, in the case of fish, or similar predators, be able to kill or at the very minimum completely incapacitate more or less straight away, anything less than instantly means a dead jellyfish.

I find it quite interesting, that unlike almost all jellyfish, Carukia barnesi bears nematocysts upon the bell also, as well as the tentacles, most jellyfish, Chironex included, do not, Chironex fleckiri is much more resistant to being battered about than an irukanji, the venom weight for weight must be less lethal, as it takes contact with between several feet to over a meter of tentacle length, irukanji venom weight for weight makes box jellyfish venom look like frickin' tabasco sauce. But the sea wasp doesn't bear nematocysts on the bell, like an irukanji do, I bet it has something to do with the fragility of Carukia and Malo sp meaning that it has to be able to bring a rapidly lethal dose of venom to bear on a target that isn't in contact with the tentacles, but is nosing about with a view to having jellyfish and icecream for desert.

Whereas the box jelly can afford just to float along until trouble comes, knowing full well that it packs a great cluster of long, thick tentacles packed to bursting with such a vicious cardiotoxin that it is capable of killing a healthy adult within minutes if they are unlucky enough to take a full on envenomation, and if not, there are some nasty myotoxins and haemolytic nastiness thrown in for good measure.

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
With treatment most Bites from widows are not fatal. As said in other posts, most deaths come from young children or the elderly. As far as what I'd rather get tagged but, Widow hands down! Widow bites usually don't necrotise like snake bites do. Someone said before in this thred they'd rather be bitten by a viper. I guess they've never seen when the hematoxic venom causes the victims limb to swell to large that large cuts need to be made in the flesh, I'll post the link to a series of rattle snake bites, I msut warn you do not link to them if you are faint of heart, they are graphic but meant only to educate people. http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes it is crazy how there are these tiny insects and invertibrates that have such a punch that they can kill a full grown healthy human in minutes....reason #1 i will never handle my deathstalkers....and if i were to get stung by them for some fluke reason, i would shoot myself before the venom took me...i have read about the poison dart frogs, how animals die after walking on plants that the frogs have previously walked on....thats crazy too...

Thats it exactly.

The smaller the animal, the physically weaker, generally follows it is the deadlier.

A gaboon viper, for instance, is a big, bad downright mean snake, and whilst its venom is potent, and delivered in a massive, deeply injected quantity, weight for weight, is a relatively slower acting toxin, where prey items are concerned, cytotoxins usually are, compare a large target given a defensive or aggressive bite, rather than a feeding strike to a rodent, for instance, which would die within seconds or minutes most likely.

Gaboon viper, whomping great dose of venom, likely enough to kill its target twenty times over, but may take minutes, maybe 15-20 minutes, or even more, to damage a human, or heavily built simian threat to the point where the target is rendered either dead or incapacitated, that is a lot of time for an enraged victim to try and tear the snake a new rectum before death occurs, representing a huge risk, even to a powerful snake.

According to wikipedia, a gaboon viper is capable of delivering a maximum of almost 2.5g of venom (dry weight) in a strike, weight for weight, the venom doesn't compare with that of say, a mamba, or a taipan, but estimates based on monkeys of similar weight, project a figure, again according to wikipedia, of between 14 and 90-100mg of venom to kill a 70kg human, so even in a truly massive overdose that would still take multiple minutes, to multiple tens of minutes to cripple or kill.

I.E enough at the MINIMUM potency figured, that snake would be capable of dumping enough venom into the target to kill a man 25 times over, or if that lowest estimate is closer to true on average, then almost 180 times enough to kill a man...damn! that is one snake not to be crossed:eek:

Then look at a sea snake, with tiny fangs, and a much less physically powerful body, said snake, has neither the 4 foot lunge, the two and a half inch wicked pair of daggers for fangs, or the capability to deliver a massive quantity of venom, so it has to be able to kill its target very quickly, with a minimum of struggle, such a snake could doubtfully afford to employ a haemolytic cytotoxin, which takes minutes to act, and deliver multiple orders of magnitude less venom, so it must act orders of magnitude faster and be similarly more lethal weight for weight by a long shot.

Granted a sea snake isn't likely to go biting any chimps, but aquatic predators, that sea snake doesn't have the advantage of being a 5 foot monster the thickness of a mans leg with fangs the size of your little finger that can be driven instantly, deep down into highly vascularised tissue for rapid absorption, but tiny fangs that are hard to bite with, a body that could be snapped in half by a powerfully built marine predator if it had time to act before the venom paralysed the target, so that neurotoxin has to act FAST and be very potent.

Likewise look at scorpions, you have a big beast like P.imperator, the tank of the scorp world, with a sting not much worse than a wasp, or a chilean red knee tarantula, but with heavily muscled claws that have no problem at all smashing prey to meatpaste.

Then look at say, Leiurus, or even Centruroides, small delicate claws, that could be broken by a bite from a mammalian predator, a rats jaws could take those claws clean off, whereas the emp would likely smash the rats head to meatpaste, a sting from the emp is just going to irritate the rat, but a whack from the deathstalker, with its potent venom, that rat is screwed big time.

Yet again, look at Dendrobatid frogs, vulnerable, squishy little tiny frogs, but packing such a potent toxin, that merely touching a tissue that one such frog had walked on, has been known to kill a dog in less than half a minute, and a blowgun dart tainted with batrachotoxin would paralyse a human almost instantaneously, and if it came from Phyllobates terribilis and was dosed with a lot of toxin, might even result in death before, or moments after the target hits the ground.

And cone snails, there is another good example, they are slow moving, and have no other way to defend themselves whatsoever, as many species hunt fast moving fish that could easily take a pound of flesh out of the cone snail. I have seen video clips of such a snail hunting, and a cone shell took down a fish at least 4 times its size, with a single tiny harpoon, the fish was dead before it had time to twitch.

It seems that the less physically imposing the species, and the less weight of venom they can deliver, the deadlier the venom has to be, and the faster acting.

Dinoponera/Paraponera/Megaponera 'bullet ant' can deliver 1ug, maybe 2ug, 2.5ug absolute top range, and enough stings to count on the fingers of a single hand, could, if unlucky, kill, that is a miniscule quantity of venom, packed by a 1-2 inch ant, and not all that venom will be poneratoxin itself, but a load of other crap like histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin, maybe, just going from actives in other hymenopteran venom minor constituents, along with the liquid vehicle itself.

Stands to reason, seeing how the size/physical strength to venom LD:50 ratio appears inversely proportional, that a tiny wee jellyfish like Carukia barnesi is going to have to pack an absolute brute of a toxic payload in those microscopic nematocysts, spread on 4 tentacles that could be between 2 inches long, and a meter or so, along with the bell, just think how bloody potent that venom must be, if something the size of a nematocyst, distributed over 4 2 inch tentacles is sufficient to protect the jellyfish, which will die from the trauma of drifting into the side of an aquarium, that venom must, in the case of fish, or similar predators, be able to kill or at the very minimum completely incapacitate more or less straight away, anything less than instantly means a dead jellyfish.

I find it quite interesting, that unlike almost all jellyfish, Carukia barnesi bears nematocysts upon the bell also, as well as the tentacles, most jellyfish, Chironex included, do not, Chironex fleckiri is much more resistant to being battered about than an irukanji, the venom weight for weight must be less lethal, as it takes contact with between several feet to over a meter of tentacle length, irukanji venom weight for weight makes box jellyfish venom look like frickin' tabasco sauce. But the sea wasp doesn't bear nematocysts on the bell, like an irukanji do, I bet it has something to do with the fragility of Carukia and Malo sp meaning that it has to be able to bring a rapidly lethal dose of venom to bear on a target that isn't in contact with the tentacles, but is nosing about with a view to having jellyfish and icecream for desert.

Whereas the box jelly can afford just to float along until trouble comes, knowing full well that it packs a great cluster of long, thick tentacles packed to bursting with such a vicious cardiotoxin that it is capable of killing a healthy adult within minutes if they are unlucky enough to take a full on envenomation, and if not, there are some nasty myotoxins and haemolytic nastiness thrown in for good measure.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that bite woulda been the end of the line for me...imagine what he went through....sucks...i read and seen photos of a rattlesnake in either mexico or new mexico that has both toxins, and a worker got bit on the tip of his finger, and all sorts of body parts rotted off....like 1 leg, 1 arm, half the bitten finger....was crazy

With treatment most Bites from widows are not fatal. As said in other posts, most deaths come from young children or the elderly. As far as what I'd rather get tagged but, Widow hands down! Widow bites usually don't necrotise like snake bites do. Someone said before in this thred they'd rather be bitten by a viper. I guess they've never seen when the hematoxic venom causes the victims limb to swell to large that large cuts need to be made in the flesh, I'll post the link to a series of rattle snake bites, I msut warn you do not link to them if you are faint of heart, they are graphic but meant only to educate people. http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
Capping yourself in the face after a Leiurus sting would be a bit dumb, hello, darwin awards, I'd like to nominate.....{D

Look on the sting reports here, there are a few people who have been got by them, remember, very low LD:50 does not equal definately fatal, for LQ does not deliver a vast quantity of venom per sting, nowhere near as much as say, Androctonus, or hell, it wouldn't surprise me if that huge great monster telson on the business end of P.imperator puts out a vast amount more venom than LQ ever could.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea but if it does prove fatal i would rather end it fast then laying there on the floor convulsing, and staring at my gun as my heart fails....would kinda suck i reckin

Capping yourself in the face after a Leiurus sting would be a bit dumb, hello, darwin awards, I'd like to nominate.....{D

Look on the sting reports here, there are a few people who have been got by them, remember, very low LD:50 does not equal definately fatal, for LQ does not deliver a vast quantity of venom per sting, nowhere near as much as say, Androctonus, or hell, it wouldn't surprise me if that huge great monster telson on the business end of P.imperator puts out a vast amount more venom than LQ ever could.

Longimanus

Arachnopeon
Hoping not to stray too much off topic, but keeping black widows specifically if you live in a country where they don't originate from would be at least in my opinion, most inadvisable. I'm not going to compare it to say someone opting to import a black mamba from Africa, but if an imported black widow should produce an egg sac on a different continent, the offspring would be certainly a containment nightmare... not knocking on anyone who keeps them out of the U.S.. but these are just my thoughts on that.

Cheers and best regards

spiderman5471

Arachnopeon
yes, it is perfectly ok. no real precautionary measures, just don't be stupid, be responsible. no specifics supplies, just some little grabbers if you want. no legal issues. they are very fun pets. i sometimes hand feed mine. great fun :D
i caught a brown widow 3 days ago are they more toxic then mactans and hesperus
hey widowman please teach me how to take care of a brown widow i feed her yeah but i need facts like whats a proper cage size and what does she like in her cage rocks plant branches what idk and need your help widowman10 please teach me proper widow etiquette thx spiderman5471 aka kasey b

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I have to weigh in on this thread. I'm at 59 kilos. No doubt this information is about as useful as the comparing of watermelons to penguins, or latros to snakes.