So im guessin this is a sac

razor244

Arachnopeon
hey everyone. i picked up my G.rosea 15 sept 2010. she never refused food once until recently . Thought she was going to molt but from my limited knowledge it looks like she is getting ready to drop a sac unless im mistaken. what are you guys thinking based on the pics

razor244

Arachnopeon
well thats unexpected but good news. i definatly want the eggsac experience for when i try some breeding projects down the road. if it all goes well ill have to find something to do with all those babies =P.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Make sure you leave mom alone; and if I were you, I'd leave the sac with her for a good 30 days at least.
Congratulations!

It is rather odd that there are two threads on this lol. Makes me want to go to the pet store and check out the selection of rosea.

razor244

Arachnopeon
when she started last night i thought it was a molt mat. by morning i was pretty sure she was getting ready do drop a sac. I figured id ask since the only experience i have with any egg sac is watching robc on youtube =P

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats with all the gravid G.rosea`s for sale :)
All the fresh imports from Chile that were bred by males are now dropping eggsacs. Remember, their year is 180 degrees out of phase with Northern Hemisphere species.

For instance, N. American Aphonopelma just finished mating (our autumn) and the females won't be producing eggsacs until April or May (our spring). Chilean roses (Grammostola rosea), in their native habitat, mate in April and May (their autumn) and produce eggsacs in November and December (their spring). And, the ones that were just imported within the last few months haven't made the "Hemisphere Shift" yet. See http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html for more information.

For those of you who are lucky enough to get a gravid female that produces an eggsac, dampen the substrate a little and close off all ventilation to raise the humidity. Keep the cage at a temperature of about 75 to 80 F (24 - 27 C). If all goes well the babies will emerge from the eggsac about 60 to 70 days after the eggsac was first made. Normal production is 150 to 300 babies depending on the size and health of the mother.

Baby roses require exactly the same care as any other baby tarantula. Nothing special or exotic.

The biggest problem is, "What the h**l are you going to do with all those little babies? My suggestion is, after you actually get the babies, to contact those dealers advertising in http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=24.

Enjoy your jillions of little 8-legged Darlings! {D

razor244

Arachnopeon
update

so my girl just dropped her sac i managed to get a few photos of it while she webbing over the eggs

0siris

Arachnosquire
that's amazing, look at how small her belly got!

Awesome picture man, you don't see that very often

razor244

Arachnopeon
yea hrr butt deflated after she dropped those eggs... its sucha cool thing to watch. she is still laying silk over the eggs

razor244

Arachnopeon
update

here is a picture of momma . looks like shes doing a good job as of now.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whats with all the gravid G.rosea`s for sale :)
thousands of wild caught G. rosea get exported (such a shame really that populations get wiped out this way... (hence I always suggest not to buy adult tarantulas like this species...) As Stan said, they are mated in the wild and end up laying in captivity. Usually, the mating season here begins in November...all the way through summer (you can spot the males wandering until late March). Mated females usually lay their sac in the following November/December. Although sometimes mated females can lay sacs in the same season.

Cheers,
Pato