So I paired my H. maculata

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Now would be the best time to hunt for a couple more males. 4th time's the charm right? ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
And after one male died and she ate a second she decided to molt...
That's why it's best to wait for her to molt so she is fresh and more receptive. If they both are not ready things can go bad.

Sorry to hear the breeding attempt ended bad for you. Good luck if you try again. Now would be a good time since she just molted. Feed her good and find a new male to try.

cold blood

Staff member
Actually this is why its good to have a good grasp on the female's molting schedule. This makes knowing when its a good time to pair and when its a good time to hold off. Early pairings, shortly after molt, can see a hungry female thinking more about herself than having young all too often.

I've had great luck pairing females at the back end of their molt cycle, when I knew they were close to refusing food, but still months away from the next expected molt (and gotten quick sacs 3 times). I've also not paired several times simply because I knew there wasn't enough time.

Its as easy as keeping records on the female. One can still be surprised by an early molt, but one can really minimize it with a good grasp of the females expected schedule.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Actually this is why its good to have a good grasp on the female's molting schedule. This makes knowing when its a good time to pair and when its a good time to hold off. Early pairings, shortly after molt, can see a hungry female thinking more about herself than having young all too often.

I've had great luck pairing females at the back end of their molt cycle, when I knew they were close to refusing food, but still months away from the next expected molt (and gotten quick sacs 3 times). I've also not paired several times simply because I knew there wasn't enough time.

Its as easy as keeping records on the female. One can still be surprised by an early molt, but one can really minimize it with a good grasp of the females expected schedule.
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that. This may be part of the reason I'm waiting on sacs - all three of my girls molted just a month or two before pairing.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire

She molts every 8-9 months and her last was in October so I figured I had plenty of time...evidently not though now that she is freshly molted I'm going to look for a male.