So I Just Bought Another Tarantula...

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
And guys you've got tot help me with this, it's going to be my last one for a long time. The only other T I really want is the 'whistling spider' from Australia that you don't see for sale all that much anymore. (And yes, I am aware that one prominent online breeder website has those for sale right now). But see I can show restraint! :D That's the point, right? So if you could only buy one more tarantula, what would it be and why?
I got a Ceratogyrus meridionalis because I love the brown colour and the beige highlights on the abdomen look amazing and baboons are probably my favourite 'type' of tarantula. Their behaviour is so interesting!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Wait, what? So if I read this right sounds like you’re getting one more and then pausing? You really want a particular species, it’s rarely in the market, but you’re showing restraint. Not computing...why not get it then?

Edit: Never mind, I see you’re starting statement was the title. I’m adding you to the list of people that I have at work that use the subject line to start their emails...it’s the list of people that go to the end of the line. 😇

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
@Craig73, so are you the little devil on my shoulder telling me to get that one last species? I've been buying a lot of tarantulas this year, I think I've bought twelve in the last six months. I know I might kick myself for not getting the Aussie one later, but I'm happy with my purchases thus far. (lol, this is where you insert pictures of whistling spiders to entice me into going to that other site) No one can have every spider. Unless I cave and buy it next month. I just feel like everyone has a 'White Whale' tarantula, one that entices them but they are never able to attain. And if I had the whistling spider I'd then say I wanted a green form of C. lividus. LOL. I can't win, man. I can't win.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@Craig73, so are you the little devil on my shoulder telling me to get that one last species? I've been buying a lot of tarantulas this year, I think I've bought twelve in the last six months. I know I might kick myself for not getting the Aussie one later, but I'm happy with my purchases thus far. (lol, this is where you insert pictures of whistling spiders to entice me into going to that other site) No one can have every spider. Unless I cave and buy it next month. I just feel like everyone has a 'White Whale' tarantula, one that entices them but they are never able to attain. And if I had the whistling spider I'd then say I wanted a green form of C. lividus. LOL. I can't win, man. I can't win.
Yep, I’m advocating you pull the trigger. I bought 14 since April and cutoff so I have to live vicariously through others at the moment unless I go back to my smuggling ways.
My top of the list is probably an Aphonopelma of some sort. I’ve primarily been arboreal and would like to branch out.

Georges Simp Pierre

Arachnopeon
Well as long as you are not approaching financial ruin I don't see the issue? However I have realised that if I keep looking for the next big thing I don't appreciate the ones I already have as much. As for whistling spiders a number of tarantulas we have in australia are capable of hissing if you annoy them, such as my stirlingi it's definitely not one specific species.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wow, I remember when I wanted another of something. But now I'm fine with what I own that I don't get the "I WANT one" anymore. I've learn that if you want a species badly, just buy a ton of them or breed a ton of them and you're lifetime is satisfied with that species.

I just recommend people enjoy the low numbers to the fullest. Or you'll be like me with over (X)amount+ specimens of the same species of T. :troll: There are days I wish I didn't have to do maintenance or feedings because it's literal hours to do so.

If there is one tarantula I can actually get it would be a Chilobrachys sp. electric blue but I'm not addicted to wanting one. The only reason why I want one is to breed it and keep a lifetime supply of them.

mellow

Arachnobaron
If I could only get one more tarantula I would get a GBB, because I have never had one before, and also because I hear that they are one of the best tarantulas if not the best tarantula to keep. 😃

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
for those of you who have acquired a large number of slings in a short amount of time, start space planning your existent space for all the adult size enclosures you will have at some point to house them. Do so before adding more slings. It's easy to set up a dozen sling enclosures on a single shelf. A dozen large habitats takes up considerably more room. It's the equivalent of the eyes being bigger than the stomach

Craig73

Arachnoangel
for those of you who have acquired a large number of slings in a short amount of time, start space planning your existent space for all the adult size enclosures you will have at some point to house them. Do so before adding more slings. It's easy to set up a dozen sling enclosures on a single shelf. A dozen large habitats takes up considerably more room. It's the equivalent of the eyes being bigger than the stomach
Great reminder and a must to prepare for the graduation from sling to adult. I ended up buying most everything up front to get me from sling to adult. I’m sure I’ll need a couple more enclosures for anything above 6”, but I can get as we approach that phase a year down the road. IMO there should be no excuse someone cannot forecast and plan ahead, but sure it happens more often than it should.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
I am considering harpactira pulchripes eversince knowing I can fit extra T on my shelf

Lazaru

Arachnopeon
I've bought 11 T's in the last couple of months but I am really at capacity for adult T's once the ones i have have grown out

I really want an adult female H.mac but the availability is low at the moment in Europe and I would have to sell one of my T's to make room

I can look though right

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my acquisition rate @ this point is 1-4 a year, it has to be a bucket list T @ this point
I have 21 Ts in various life stages, no tiny slings at all. I have been keeping them since 2008

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I only have 28 and i think like eleven are slings. Now with this shipment i'll have 31 with 15 slings. It's nice right now because i can house the slings on top of the adults. I have two Ikea shelves I'm not really using that will house the adult enclosures. When I fill those shelves that'll be it I think. No more room in the tarantula inn!

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
The great thing about pacing yourself is that you wind up with what you really want to keep in the long run. Those particular species that keep whispering in your ear month, after month.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
You all know what I did? I just got myself the Aussie T I've wanted for the better part of a decade!!! Woo hoo! Thank you Arachnoboards!