So I heard rat tastes good....any advise?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me and a few buddies got to talking about eating rat. I actually remember how it started, we were talking about The Tick and his "dog" Speak who as it turns out is a capybara. I was saying that they eat those and one was expressing disgust and noted its a rodent and I said that rats are supposed to be very tasty. I have always wanted to try rack-o-ratribs. We were wondering about how to skin and cook them. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas? If there is someone who knows, goodness knows this is the place :}

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Preparing them cant be any different from any other small fur animal, cut the skin and peel it off from tail to head
Or maybe burn the hairs off in a open fire and peel it off later on
I dont have any recipes but bbq sauce cant go wrong :)

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Preparing them cant be any different from any other small fur animal, cut the skin and peel it off from tail to head
Or maybe burn the hairs off in a open fire and peel it off later on
I dont have any recipes but bbq sauce cant go wrong :)
BBQ rat isn't really that great, if you are going to eat rat, fried is best.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I grew up eating squirrells and yeah frying is the best. Skin 'em, roll 'em in flour and put 'em in a skillet with hot grease!! YUMMMMM YUUUUUUUM!!

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about skewered? Thats what I was thinking. Too bad I'm not coming to Arachnocon, i bet that would be very productive.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
squirrel makes some of the best dumplings I've ever had, rat can't taste much different.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you suppose rats at the local Petco would be fine to eat? Cancer prone and all :rolleyes: ....:p

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you suppose rats at the local Petco would be fine to eat? Cancer prone and all :rolleyes: ....:p
:p if you really insist on eating rats, I really suggest that you clear all the organs inside, such as the bladder, intestines, and all that other stuff. and when your done doing all that, if the rat isn't a full adult male, there will be very little meat left on him. And cutting an adult rat down in his prime isn't always nicest thing to do, but if you want to eat a meal, after the organs are cleared you're going to have to have a pretty big rat...

Also make sure you remove hands, feet, and head and tail, or you may loose your apatite when you finish.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They've got these rats in the pet shops down here called NY rats. They're huge, the size of a small cat. Try one of those.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if you ever ate a tamale from a road side vendor , you may have eaten a rat

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I took a foods of ethnobotany course (ethnobotany is the use of plants by native cultures, in this case the Kumyaay Indians of Southern California and Baja) in which this was one of the topics. It turns out that wood rats were one of their primary sources of protein which of course we had to try. We killed them with rabbit sticks (kind of like a boomarang), skinned them, gutted them and quartered them. Then we made a stew out of them using nopal and some other native plants. It was a little different, but not bad. Wood rats, squirrels, rabbits, hares, etc. were the primary meats eaten as most of the tribal units were more like extended families than what we usually think of as tribes.

Hope this helps.

---Jen

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We were wondering about how to skin and cook them.
We always just made a slit through the skin around the girth of the squirrel and pulled off the upper and lower parts like you would a shirt and pants. When you get down to the feet and head you just cut them off. Should work for a rat as well.

I don't have any recipes but whatever you decide to do, definitely gut the thing before cooking it. I'd go with the spit over an open fire way myself.

Maybe I'll get a couple from the local PetCo and post pics here (and at PetCo {D ) this weekend. Maybe a guinnee pig though. Seems easier and more nutritious.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Guinea pig is a famous dish in Ecuador...so you should be able to find recipes.

I'm hoping soon that we turn to alternative food sources...particularly insects. We can't raise cattle forever!

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol..no thanks..i dont eat flea ridden snake food.

i will stick to my T-bones{D , thanks.

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine ate guinea pig on a recent trip to Peru. He said it was pretty tasty. I'm not sure if I could stomach it personally but different strokes I suppose.

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like squirrel stew with the skins on:drool:

wow I would not mind trying guinea pigs at all, heard they're breeding them for larger size to be consumed in S/C America.