So I have noticed tonight that some of my T's like to jump off from high places

JayEx3

Arachnopeon
I decided to check on my T's 3 in the morning and saw that my Bumba Cabocla and OBT likes to climb to the top of the enclosure and just fall or jump off. My OBT is a bit less than an inch and B.Cabocla is almost one third of the size of my OBT. Is this normal? Should I be worried? image.jpeg image.jpeg

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Uh, yeah. You have them housed almost like an arboreal. That Amac box is good for an Avic sling (turned upside down), but not a terrestrial. Get a 16 oz deli cup and rehouse them. They are still subject to injury even at that size. BTW, they are falling, not jumping.
Same thing goes with the B vagans

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I agree with @Walker253 , these enclosures are for arboreals, while your spiders are terrestrials. You should put them into a cup with less heights. Provide them enough substrate to burrow, with a smaller hide. Give anchor points for the P. murinus, they are heavy webbers. In the mentioned 16 oz cup you can easily place a water dish for them.

JayEx3

Arachnopeon
I agree with @Walker253 , these enclosures are for arboreals, while your spiders are terrestrials. You should put them into a cup with less heights. Provide them enough substrate to burrow, with a smaller hide. Give anchor points for the P. murinus, they are heavy webbers. In the mentioned 16 oz cup you can easily place a water dish for them.
do you think substrate for millipedes is fine for the T's? that's the only substrate I have on hand. If i remember correctly, millipede substrate consists of decaying plant matter and fungi

MGery92

Arachnosquire
do you think substrate for millipedes is fine for the T's? that's the only substrate I have on hand. If i remember correctly, millipede substrate consists of decaying plant matter and fungi
I don't have any experience with this kind of substrate, but if it is free of any pesticides, I assume it is not dangerous for T's. We should wait for the more experienced people to chime in.

If I were you, I would buy coco fiber, plantation soil or peat moss as soon as possible.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@JayEx3 , I've raised dozens of terrestrial slings in those Amac boxes, so I don't think you need to rehouse. That said, you need to put some more substrate in to reduce the threat from a fall. One of the issues with them is that coco fiber tends to settle a great deal as it dries, so it can make it difficult to judge how much to pack in. I would raise the level by another inch or so and you should be fine. You don't want your slings climbing, falling from high places, and hurting themselves. If you can't find coco fiber, some top soil will work (although you will likely have to pick out some sticks and rocks as you pack it into your enclosures. If you moisten the lower levels coco fiber a bit for the vagans and cabocla before adding the extra dirt, it will allow for them to burrow to their desired moisture level the need.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No, sounds useless if not plain bad.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I decided to check on my T's 3 in the morning and saw that my Bumba Cabocla and OBT likes to climb to the top of the enclosure and just fall or jump off. My OBT is a bit less than an inch and B.Cabocla is almost one third of the size of my OBT. Is this normal? Should I be worried? View attachment 243182 View attachment 243183
They are not jumping. They are falling. They should be rehouseed into much lower height Enclosures as others have said. This will save your current Spiders from fall injuries as well as free up those Enclosures for Arboreal species.

It's a win - win.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I have just got it less than a week ago and it hasn't ate since then
Have you tried feeding it? Mine ate on day two of being in its home. Also, I doubt the OBT is falling...but they're not nromally kept as arboreals. The rest may be falling.