so, i almost just had a heart attack...

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
so this is the first time, in 18 months of keeping T's. I was feeding and watering one of my P. irminias. I took the top off it's deli cup. I don't usually do that but it was down in it's burrow happily chilling and BAM... up the side over the edge onto the counter into a cabinet. Lucky for me, it just sat there on the inside wall of my cabinet and chilled till I got the catch cup I had handy for just such an occasion and just kind of nudged it into the cup with my trusty dusty paint brush.

Adrenaline rush for the win!! lol

I've only ever had one other attempted escape during regular maintenance but the escapee in question just stopped on the side of it's enclosure.

This same spider also happens to be the one that attempted to escape when I unpacked it from the shipping container it was in when I got it. Gonna have to watch that one close, it's got a history now. LOLOLOLOL.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Had a smiliar thing rehousing a P.muticus last week 3 weeks after a moult to 6".
It flew onto the desk and sat there trolling me, charging the tub when I tried to get it.
In the end I got some kitchen roll held with tongs and it grabbed on and I lifted it into its new enclosure while it still had hold of the paper :p (tub underneath of course)

tarantulashack

Arachnopeon
I think it's an irminia thing I've had this happen when it was a sling but not once have any of my cambridgei do it and I have many more of them :p on the bright side they seem easily coaxed back home

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I think it's an irminia thing I've had this happen when it was a sling but not once have any of my cambridgei do it and I have many more of them :p on the bright side they seem easily coaxed back home
oh yeah... exactly. Well, like I said, once it was out of the direct light and in my cabinet it was perfectly content just kind of chill there. haha. Not sure how long it would have stayed there had I not seen where it went but in this instance at least, I was fortunate. :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Glad you were able to recapture her without any major complications!

I haven't had any of my T's make a successful break like that - yet - but a few weeks ago when I was showing some friends my collection I opened the doors of my huntsman spider's cage to remove an uninvited guest. (I have free-range Steatoda triangulosa in my bug room. I generally like them because they care care of escaped feeder crickets and fruit flies, but the babies are small enough to slip through the screens and get into my cages. Once inside they find some cozy crevice to set up shop and next thing I know I've got full grown Steatoda in with my pets. I don't so much like that because I don't want them competing for prey or - more importantly - biting/eating any of my pets.) Anyway, it was a front-opening cage and I was keeping an eye out to make sure the huntsman didn't run out the doors - and she zipped through the hinge gap between the door and the side wall. Fortunately she didn't get far - just ran a couple of laps around the outside of her cage before I was able to coax her back inside.