So... How smart ARE jumping spiders, actually?

xulixzo

Arachnopeon
I've seen plenty of angles and takes on this topic, ranging from "as dumb as Tarantulas" to "intelligence comparable to that of some dogs." As fun as the anecdotal stories are to back up these claims, I haven't really seen a lot of evidence pointing one way or another. I think the general consensus is that they're more intelligent than most other arachnids, but... What exactly does this entail?

Lets use mine for an example. I have a P. Audux named Dust. So far she's demonstrated the ability to implement problem solving (I placed her in a pyrex for feeding. After she was done, she was trying to climb the walls, but they were too slick for her. After a bit of trying, she moved to a different spot. Since that didn't work either, she tried turning 45 degrees and climbing diagonally, which did work.) and she's demonstrated at least some learning capabilities (has grown used to my fingers. No longer recoils from them, is more interested in climbing onto them for a better view.) Again, this is all just anecdotal. Is what I think she's doing, i.e., thinking, actually what's happening here? If so, what are her limits? Can she remember and recognize me? Is she self-aware? How much research has been done into the cognitive capabilities of jumping spiders?

Of course, each species will differ, but I'm really curious to see what's out there in general!

Spider tax attached below.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen plenty of angles and takes on this topic, ranging from "as dumb as Tarantulas" to "intelligence comparable to that of some dogs." As fun as the anecdotal stories are to back up these claims, I haven't really seen a lot of evidence pointing one way or another. I think the general consensus is that they're more intelligent than most other arachnids, but... What exactly does this entail?

Lets use mine for an example. I have a P. Audux named Dust. So far she's demonstrated the ability to implement problem solving (I placed her in a pyrex for feeding. After she was done, she was trying to climb the walls, but they were too slick for her. After a bit of trying, she moved to a different spot. Since that didn't work either, she tried turning 45 degrees and climbing diagonally, which did work.) and she's demonstrated at least some learning capabilities (has grown used to my fingers. No longer recoils from them, is more interested in climbing onto them for a better view.) Again, this is all just anecdotal. Is what I think she's doing, i.e., thinking, actually what's happening here? If so, what are her limits? Can she remember and recognize me? Is she self-aware? How much research has been done into the cognitive capabilities of jumping spiders?

Of course, each species will differ, but I'm really curious to see what's out there in general!

Spider tax attached below.
I’m no expert, but I know a scientist who studies them exclusively- he says they are pretty smart.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
we only judge animal intelligence by human standards. At the end of the day we're all just here to eat and procreate.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Sorry but, to put it bluntly, you know that's not what I asked.
I know what you're saying and I think the notion of measuring animal intelligence by human metrics is silly.

When you were asking if the spiders remembered you; maybe. Here's a study that would suggest that it's possible https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-016-1048-4

Locational memory has been documented in amblypygi and the same "pain aversion" learning has been documented in Thelyphonida.

What any of this has to do with intelligence is up to you and your personal philosophy.

Alot of what humans perceive as intelligence has more to do with participating in our social games. (Monkeys, dogs, dolphins) rather than doing things to benefit themselves. Ants are a pretty insanely overlooked animal when it comes to these types of discussions having social hierarchy, language, farming and having multicontinental mega-colonies that take advantage of human made airports.

Anyway, weirdly worded question.

Last edited:

xulixzo

Arachnopeon
I know what you're saying and I think the notion of measuring animal intelligence by human metrics is silly.

When you were asking if the spiders remembered you; maybe. Here's a study that would suggest that it's possible https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-016-1048-4

Locational memory has been documented in amblypygi and the same "pain aversion" learning has been documented in Thelyphonida.

What any of this has to do with intelligence is up to you and your personal philosophy.

Alot of what humans perceive as intelligence has more to do with participating in our social games. (Monkeys, dogs, dolphins) rather than doing things to benefit themselves. Ants are a pretty insanely overlooked animal when it comes to these types of discussions having social hierarchy, language, farming and having multicontinental mega-colonies that take advantage of human made airports.

Anyway, weirdly worded question.
Interesting! I wonder why having such a long rest interval between tests actually assists their memory? It was mentioned in the abstract that the spiders defaulted to darker areas as their "safe space." Since they kept going back to the black space in the shorter intervals even when it wasn't safe, I wonder if that means they take time to properly "form" memories?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Interesting! I wonder why having such a long rest interval between tests actually assists their memory? It was mentioned in the abstract that the spiders defaulted to darker areas as their "safe space." Since they kept going back to the black space in the shorter intervals even when it wasn't safe, I wonder if that means they take time to properly "form" memories?
I suggest you take a look into uropygi and amblypygi. You seem like the type who would like them.

Not the most exciting creatures but incredibly fascinating.

Although they are more really on tactile and chemical senses more than vision.

xulixzo

Arachnopeon
I suggest you take a look into uropygi and amblypygi. You seem like the type who would like them.

Not the most exciting creatures but incredibly fascinating.

Although they are more really on tactile and chemical senses more than vision.
I'll take a look. Thank you!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Use Google ... There is more than enough research on jumping spiders!