So How Did You Get Introduced To This Hobby?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been into Herps, Arachnids and Myriapods for as long as I can remember, but I just recently ventured into actually keeping them. The first scorpion I decided to keep was a Babycurus jacksoni, and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the selection! Great looking scorps, and extremely active and entertaining to watch!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Saw a deal for free scorpions, 15$ shipping and 3 days later i have 6 Paruroctonus boreus.

Aggressive little buggers but i like them totally different attitudes compared to my Ts and I like the way they act.

any how off to get more 1 week criks (for scorpions) and 4 week criks (for tarantulas)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, since I was a kid I been bug hunting with my friends. At 8 years old, I would spend hours standing in a light pole catching giant scarabs and golden beetles. I usually go home around 11pm to 12 am and my relatives usually punished me for going home so late lol. Also, most of the time when I'm not beetle hunting. I would roamed around with my friends looking for the strongest orb weaver spider at night from 8 to 12 and challenge other kids at school the next morning. After 7 years I remembered my bug hunting days so I went to the pet shop and bought myself a scorpion. however, I did not get addicted from that. I really got hooked on keeping scorpion when I visit my friend and showed me his high end fat/thick tail collection in an amazing set up:eek:, that is when I started increasing my scorpions populations into tremedius speed, in other words I was addicted before i realized it.

SandKing

Arachnosquire
for me,im fascinated by the way they kill their prey.at first i was afraid that i might get sting then i researched on it. i caught a couple of I.mac and L.waigesnis as my first scorps.;p

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
I've always had a passion for all animals, but in particular those that have gotten an unfair bad rap. I had an elderly aunt once tell me, "Even god doesn't love snakes." I glared at her and said, "Well *I* do!"

While I like spiders well enough, I've just always found scorpions even more visually appealing. I love how ancient they are, as the first land animal, and I love the diversity of species. I think the general population doesn't even realize there are numerous species with a huge range of venom toxicity, and I always laugh a little when an emperor scorpion is cast in a movie as a dangerous animal - and a desert animal, at that!

My first scorp was, of course, an emperor many years ago, a great big glossy fellow named Blackheart who was entirely tame and handleable. I still have a love for emperors stemming from that early positive experience.

My first buthid, a couple of years later, was a deathstalker named Dessicaria (thus the username, a tribute to her), and this remains my favorite species to date, even though I haven't kept them in a while now.

Bred Heterometrus for a while, and they were also completely calm and handleable. I had quite a group of various other species during my grad school days. Finally I was left with just the old female Hadogenes, and it was years before I was able to find a male. I got somewhat "re-bitten by the bug" (forgive the pun), and added a pair of emperors to the menagerie recently. I'm intending to add additional species again, but it's a space issue right now more than anything else. But that will resolve itself in time.... :)

clowns94

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got in the hobby just watching vids on youtube and i wanted a emperor scorpion for my first scorpion but the pet store had a desert hairy so thats how i got in it

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have always been fascinated with exotics since young
I live in city where sight of wildlife are pretty rare here, never seen any wild scorpion before i got into the hobby
It all started when i watch a documentary of tarantula and scorpion on discovery channel, around 8years back
Instantly felt in love but didnt know where to get one in the city...
(Yeah, kuala lumpur suck)

Few years later, my dad bought me my first scorpion and tarantula, i was so happy but have no knowledge on them at all
The t died shortly after due to dehydration but the scorp, a spinifer strive well
I been keeping it for one year thinking it can kill me until she decided to pop out 31babies
I was shocked beyond word as im not sure how she got pregnant, thinking a male scorp sneak in and mated with her
I rush to my pc and start doing my research and found a local forum and join the community

Few years later, i have more than 50scorpion in my collection :p

Mara

Arachnopeon
I ended up with my emp sort of by accident.
I have a close friend who for some reason had got in his head that I should get a tarantula. I liked the idea, but didn't take him too seriously. Anyway, during spring last year, he was spending some time with his gf and her family. He called me saying her cousin had an emp that he didn't want anymore. Got it cheap including the terrarium.
Was kinda sudden, but I never regretted it. We have no idea how old she was though, and sadly she died this summer - most likely of old age.
Now I have 5 T's and no scorp... but planning on getting another emperor soon.

Mara

Arachnopeon
Ehm... just got home from the pet store, now being a proud scorpion owner agian :D
My friend decided I should have a new one, and bought me a Pandinus cavimanus, I just couldn't say no to that... :eek: