So heres the thing..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A good few of us members had discusssd the recent thread of "Goliath or King Baboon".

I said my opinion on why I thought Goliaths were overrated and my reasons for why I would prefer the goddess, hands down.

Here is the thing. A friend of mine is leaving the hobby due to other commitments and I am picking up his Ts for free tomorrow.

Free Ts?! How could anyone say no?

I could not say no :rofl:

So arrivals tomorrow are -

Avicularia juruensis (purchased from elsewhere) very excited about this.

.. The freebies :D

2x Pterinopelma sazimai unsexed juvs
1x Cyriopagopus minax unsexed juv (yes I know another one :p)
1x Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens subadult female (which was one from my old breedings)
1x Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens male (past its 'sell by' date)...

.... and you guessed it, a Big Brown Hairs of Death Spider (6" male)

So I finally got space for a spider that has been on my wishlist for ages, P. muticus, yet before I have chance to get her I have the Big Brown.

I could not let him go to someone else. So obviously I dont hate them, I just did not see me keeping one, ever!

But now I thought I should experience seeing as no cost

Maybe I will grow to like them. I hope I do. But as soon as he matures he will be going on his crusades and I will get my Goddess.

I have a feeling I be smiling all day tomorrow :D

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can't beat a few freebies. T blondi is the reason I'm in the hobby today but I've held off ever owning 1 for now as i can never say never

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Grats on the freebies, i would love to have a female GBB again. My old girl dird a few years back

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Grats on the freebies, i would love to have a female GBB again. My old girl dird a few years back
Sorry to hear about that :(

Well the female i am getting tomorrow was sacmates with the one I've been keeping. As these are my fav semi arboreals, all will be getting a great new house :D

I hope you manage to get a gal at some point :)

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Sorry to hear about that :(

Well the female i am getting tomorrow was sacmates with the one I've been keeping. As these are my fab semi arboreals, all will be getting a great new house :D

I hope you manage to get a gal at some point :)
Eventually, for now im very happy with my very small re-start collection

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My Goliath girl is my favorite out of 9 adult or juvenile tarantulas I own and it's not even close. They aren't super hard to care for if you have the correct setup. The hairs aren't as bad as I was led to believe either. I haven't been bothered in the slightest when cleaning her enclosure (besides a mishap involving me barehanding her and getting haired). Even that wasn't real major after everything was said and done. my regular sized tarantulas don't bring much reaction after people see my Goliath. She's on a fish tank stand and I pop the top often to look at her or show her off.

I just got 3 h gigas and would like a king baboon, but they burrow down and wouldn't come close in size to my stirmi. So, I can't imagine it would even be a competition. The baboon would be easier to care for, but everything else would be in favor of the Goliath. Doomsday is normally out in the open and is amazing to see in person.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If it is a true blondi from French Guyana, even they are worth a pretty penny here in EU. Good find!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
My Goliath girl is my favorite out of 9 adult or juvenile tarantulas I own and it's not even close. They aren't super hard to care for if you have the correct setup. The hairs aren't as bad as I was led to believe either. I haven't been bothered in the slightest when cleaning her enclosure (besides a mishap involving me barehanding her and getting haired). Even that wasn't real major after everything was said and done. my regular sized tarantulas don't bring much reaction after people see my Goliath. She's on a fish tank stand and I pop the top often to look at her or show her off.

I just got 3 h gigas and would like a king baboon, but they burrow down and wouldn't come close in size to my stirmi. So, I can't imagine it would even be a competition. The baboon would be easier to care for, but everything else would be in favor of the Goliath. Doomsday is normally out in the open and is amazing to see in person.
P. muticus can grow big and they are on show quite often. I dont think there is generally much difference in size.. ceratin aspects and monster specimens of both species probably. It depends on the specimens.

I had a H. gigas years ago. It was my 2nd T that was a big bold specimen roughly the size of a a dinner plate. She has a bold, beauty. But she did burrow deep. However was extremely active.

90% of my collection are African sp. So maybe I am a little biased :p

However I look forward to the strimi :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Man, Doomsday is a freaking AWESOME name for a giant T. I wish I had thought of it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ah, Doomsday :)

Sweet like little Wednesday Addams, but with a little more doom. I like that name too.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Ah, Doomsday :)

Sweet like little Wednesday Addams, but with a little more doom. I like that name too.
Lol Wednesday is my little black and white cat. Originally was going with morticia for a girl or Doomsday for a boy. By the time I could sex her, everyone was already calling her doomsday, so it stuck.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Morticia is my huge AF vagans name :p. Doomsday is good enough.. Infact much better.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well it was good to see the friend and collect the Ts today..

..However I was not very happy when I had seen the condition that they were in when I go to collect them. There previous husbandry was not good. I am glad they are here now.

He is a good guy but keeping Ts for so long was probably not for the best.

The only one with 'decent' husbandry was the strimi. The female GBB (which he purchased from me as small juv) was still in the small food container I sold it to him in with boluses everywhere :(

They are all in the new places now and I hope they can settle well.

Here are some photos :)

P. sazimai #1 (I suspecting male)
IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

P. sazimai #2 (suspect female)
IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

Cyriopagopus minax. It missing a palp and a leg :(. I think female. Thats 2 satans in the collection now.

IMG_0913.JPG

MM GBB
IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

SAF GBB
IMG_0926.JPG

T. strimi (much bigger than expected ajaja)
IMG_0902.JPG

A good day :)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
im just happy the Ts have a better owner now. :) grats on the stirmi!
Thank you..

And to think a fews days ago I said I would never own one. I must admit it is good to have another large T but I am glad its but is already bald for the moment heheheh

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you..

And to think a fews days ago I said I would never own one. I must admit it is good to have another large T but I am glad its but is already bald for the moment heheheh
Yeah, that's what I said, too - "Never going to get one of the Goliaths!" - right up until I saw a big, beautiful T. stirmi sitting on the table at an expo last year and just had to bring her home! She has quickly become one of my favorites, especially because she is so popular with my students. She also molted recently, so now I can show the kids just how big her fangs are - and (at least for a few more weeks) can enjoy seeing her without the bald butt. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though. She has never kicked hairs at me (though she does stridulate when I move her cage) but apparently she uses them to "decorate" her bedding or mark her territory.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah, that's what I said, too - "Never going to get one of the Goliaths!" - right up until I saw a big, beautiful T. stirmi sitting on the table at an expo last year and just had to bring her home! She has quickly become one of my favorites, especially because she is so popular with my students. She also molted recently, so now I can show the kids just how big her fangs are - and (at least for a few more weeks) can enjoy seeing her without the bald butt. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though. She has never kicked hairs at me (though she does stridulate when I move her cage) but apparently she uses them to "decorate" her bedding or mark her territory.
I suppose every T has its own perks of interest. I never thought I would get one as its brown/common/notorious hairs/certain husbandry requirements and overpriced IMO.

I do see the size as striking, this also has attitude. These are positives with me :)

However if I saw one for sale I would not buy it. They space in the T room could house so many more stunning Ts.

I can understand why these spiders are a big hit with many newer folks in the hobby. Its just a shame because I see so many pics of these creatures with missing limbs/ injured from handling mishaps or in bad housing and near dying because someone wanted a huge spider after they got a porteri yet have no knowledge of care.

Of course there is experienced keepers/breeders there that know exactly how to care for them and obviously the Theraphosa strive with them. I just see way too many noobs bragging about their Goliaths and posting up horrendous pics on FB and other media site (even some here on AB). This is probably the thing that annoys me most. They are so regularly caught in the wild that any old dafty can buy one without having a clue how to keep it properly :(

This guy is growing on me. As my friend thought his sazimai and minax were male too I am wanting to get a good look at the ventral of this guy. I may have hit the jackpot :p

Of course a moult would be good too as I want some photos with hair on the behind... just need some swimming goggles too

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can understand why these spiders are a big hit with many newer folks in the hobby. Its just a shame because I see so many pics of these creatures with missing limbs/ injured from handling mishaps or in bad housing and near dying because someone wanted a huge spider after they got a porteri yet have no knowledge of care.

Of course there is experienced keepers/breeders there that know exactly how to care for them and obviously the Theraphosa strive with them. I just see way too many noobs bragging about their Goliaths and posting up horrendous pics on FB and other media site (even some here on AB). This is probably the thing that annoys me most. They are so regularly caught in the wild that any old dafty can buy one without having a clue how to keep it properly :(
I would think that's true of a great many Ts, not just the Goliaths. The noobs don't always go for the biggest spider. Quite often they want the one with the prettiest colors or the most interesting markings rather than the "plain brown" spider. Some of those colorful spiders - particularly the arboreals and the OWs - can be just as sensitive to lack of appropriate care as the Goliaths and can present just as many challenges to the novice keeper. Both the price and the (lack of) availability of the Theraphosa - particularly the big adults/subadults - would be more likely to steer newer folks toward cheaper, more readily available spiders. Sure, they might like the look of an 8"+ Theraphosa - but that doesn't mean they're going to want to shell out $100+ to buy it, nor are they necessarily going to have the patience to wait for a sling to grow to that size.

It is always unfortunate to see any animal suffering from inappropriate or inadequate care, but - at least from what I've seen - the Goliaths are no more likely to end up in those circumstances than any other species. The ones I see regularly offered on Craigslist - often pictured in small, dirty, inadequate cages - are more likely to be GBB's, OBT's, Avics, L. parahybana, B. smithi, and the occasional Pokie. I have yet to see a Theraphosa listed on Craigslist, my LPS typically only has slings, and even at the expos, the adults/sub-adults are rare.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I would think that's true of a great many Ts, not just the Goliaths. The noobs don't always go for the biggest spider. Quite often they want the one with the prettiest colors or the most interesting markings rather than the "plain brown" spider.
Very true! Last February, I bought my Brachypelma smithi sling on a whim because it is one of the iconic tarantulas and I have always liked their coloring and I had always wanted one since holding one as a child. (Yeah, not a good idea to let an inexperienced young person hold your adult/near-adult T over the floor! But thankfully, both I and the tarantula were calm and all that came of it was the planting of a seed that would later become an obsession! :D ) Anyway, at least I care very much about the well-being of my animals and so after I made my impulsive order, I spent much time researching their care, which eventually led me here. :) My sling has grown greatly in size, beauty -- and attitude! :happy:

@KezyGLA Congrats on the new T's! :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I understand why people might like them, but I am not fond of them myself. Even if they were easier to care for, and had less obnoxious hairs, I probably wouldn't have one.
I'll take a Pamphobeteus over them any day of the week.
Another happy ending for some almost homeless spiders.