So heres the thing..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I understand why people might like them, but I am not fond of them myself. Even if they were easier to care for, and had less obnoxious hairs, I probably wouldn't have one.
I'll take a Pamphobeteus over them any day of the week.
Another happy ending for some almost homeless spiders.
I agree!

I also see Pamphs in the same light as I do Theraphosa... again it is only personal preference.

Replace the Pamph with Phormic, now were talking my language :D

... the main point that there is no hate towards any sp. in my eyes. It is completely welcome here :).. I just wouldnt hget my wallet out for it heheh :p

Estein

Arachnoknight
The noobs don't always go for the biggest spider. Quite often they want the one with the prettiest colors or the most interesting markings rather than the "plain brown" spider.
Wow, I must be boring--my first was a porteri! ;)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, I must be boring--my first was a porteri! ;)
My first was B. albopilosum. Not as big as the Theraphosa nor as flashy as a Pokie or OBT - but a good starter species for someone who was - at the time - a recovering arachnophobe!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree!

I also see Pamphs in the same light as I do Theraphosa... again it is only personal preference.

Replace the Pamph with Phormic, now were talking my language :D

... the main point that there is no hate towards any sp. in my eyes. It is completely welcome here :).. I just wouldnt hget my wallet out for it heheh :p
I felt the same way about the Pamphos until recently. I ended up buying two of them last spring - but only because I was preparing for a presentation I was giving on South American tarantulas at a Geography Day Event, so I was "stocking up" on whatever I could find on Craigslist or at the local expos. They were at the top of my "trade it away after this is over" list - but I have to say, they've really grown on me! (They also molted and got prettier, and that didn't hurt either!) The only one of my recently acquired spiders that I ended up getting rid of was the Lp - and that was just because he hooked out as a mature male, so I traded him to someone who could try to breed him.

I think I just like spiders, no matter what kind they are. I may have a problem...

"My name is chanda and I'm an arachnoholic..."

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I felt the same way about the Pamphos until recently. I ended up buying two of them last spring - but only because I was preparing for a presentation I was giving on South American tarantulas at a Geography Day Event, so I was "stocking up" on whatever I could find on Craigslist or at the local expos. They were at the top of my "trade it away after this is over" list - but I have to say, they've really grown on me! (They also molted and got prettier, and that didn't hurt either!) The only one of my recently acquired spiders that I ended up getting rid of was the Lp - and that was just because he hooked out as a mature male, so I traded him to someone who could try to breed him.

I think I just like spiders, no matter what kind they are. I may have a problem...

"My name is chanda and I'm an arachnoholic..."
I can relate :rofl:

Estein

Arachnoknight
My first was B. albopilosum. Not as big as the Theraphosa nor as flashy as a Pokie or OBT - but a good starter species for someone who was - at the time - a recovering arachnophobe!
Those are such cuties with their little curls! You seem to have recovered well ;)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are such cuties with their little curls! You seem to have recovered well ;)
Well, my very first pet spider was a black widow (which was also the species my Mom had taught me to fear from the time I could walk). Once I learned to appreciate her beauty, it was a very slippery downhill slope to becoming a full-blown arachnoholic.

"It's just *one* more tarantula. What's the harm? I can stop any time I want to..."