So happy !!! first invertebrate

ForTW

Arachnobaron
The plates on the abdomen will get small and spread apart like scorpions do (yeah actuaöly the abdomen gets larger and the plates remain small). This indicates premolt.

I'd put something beneath the top lid aswell. They got mad claws that can get stuck in there.
In advance, this will increase humidity.
I use fleece.

Regards

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
Ok i think i have an issue, and i hope someone can help me! So i have Scylla, and like you said she is young, so i will offer her food (small grillon) every 4/5 days. When i bought her, i also purchased small grillon. Some are smaller than her some are the same size of her abdomen, the biggest is roughly 2/3 of her size. I have 24 grillons, i feed them therefore they'll grow i guess, and i fear that they outgrow her. So here is my question, is there a solution to prevent grillon to grow to fast ? second, if they outgrow her, is it still safe to feed them to her ? If not what i can do with them ? the last resort i thought about was free them, if i find out that that's legal, if not then may be kill them in the freezer, or maybe buy another pet insects which will increase my grillon consumption rate ?

Thank you all in advance !

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Young amblypygi are often quite happy to take down prey that are larger than themselves. They won't finish it all, and you'll want to pick out the remains with a pair of long tongs. Obviously if the prey is that large, you do not need to feed as often.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's probably not legal, but for awhile I always just tossed my excess crickets in my backyard cuz I didn't want to kill them. I think I did something to my local cricket population because the black field crickets started looking like hybrids, lol. (I know, bad)

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
Ok i got two amblypyge !! one is really happy to eat and have a really great apetite ! the second one just didn't ate anything yet (it's been two weeks) but i'm not that stressed i'm thinking it's normal, i kept trying one or two time a week, am i right do think this ? And I'm really proud to annouce you that i got my very first tarantula !!! I'm really afraid of big hairy spider so i was not really confident placing her in her enclosure, but she behaved !!! she doesn't move a lot yet, but when she does she is so slow moving, cautious and graceful when she walk !!! it's the first time i see one this close !! and i'm really really fascinate... I'm must sound dumb saying that i'm staring for hours to an immobile tarantula !!! But i'm happy and hope she is to !!

Last edited:

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
She is a refine lady, she is in her enclosure for less than two hours, she didn't event explore or went to her hide, but she pooped !!! That's not the most gross pooped, do i have to clean it on the spot ?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Ok i got two amblypyge !! one is really happy to eat and have a really great apetite ! the second one just didn't ate anything yet (it's been two weeks) but i'm not that stressed i'm thinking it's normal, i kept trying one or two time a week, am i right do think this ?
Yes, a well-fed amblypygi can go a long time without eating, so it’s not unusual for them to refuse to eat for a while. Offering prey once every week or so is fine. If you can post photos of them we can double-check that it looks healthy and okay.

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
Yes she is the one ! i really like watching them hunt and eat that's really something !! the speed and the accuracy !

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
I'm must sound dumb saying that i'm staring for hours to an immobile tarantula !!!
Not dumb. I spend AT LEAST an hour a day staring at mine, mobile or not. Just seeing them is rewarding 😁. I'm sure there's many others who do the same.

Congrats on the new pets!

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
Hi all! last week i bought my first tarantula !! since she ate, drank, pooped ! one time she did it parrallel to the ground and that looked like a water gun of poop ! And she dug !! i was able to catch her dug her burrow. I never imagined spider can dig like that, that was really amazing, taking durt between her pedipalp and climb back toss it then go dig again ! And i buy my first scorpion !!! and i think to buy 5 spyderling from tarantula canada, but before i have a question. I heard that spyderling can go through the lid of exoterra faunarium, is it correct ?

RainyFrog

Arachnopeon
I bought my first slings online !! I never thought they were that small !!! They are so cute !!! i was so stressed when i had to transfer them from their tube to their enclosure ! I was worried they drawn in the bottle caps planned to use, so i use instead the caps of their tube they were shipped in. Can't wait to see them grow !!