So Cal Anole

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so i was working today up in Orange County and I was outside when I spotted in the bushes an Anole. Must have been someone's pet that got lose, because as far as I know they are not natitive to Sothern California. Sine I have always wanted a few of these, I find this a good opportunity to start collecting, sine I have 1 now {D I have a good idea on how to raise them, but would like some suggestions from anyone here with some good experience.. any thoughtfull insight would be appreshated!

Thank you

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Golden Rule for housing anoles - Never house more than one male together. These are extremely territorial little lizards and will fight ferociously until either one is killed or they both die of stress and exhaustion. Sexing anoles is easy - females have cream or white stripes running down their spines, while males have brightly coloured dewlaps.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Juveniles are not so straight forward to sex as the males also have the stripe and lose it as they get older. You could always look for the hemipenis bulge at the base of the tail also.

You can keep more than one male in the same enclosure BUT it needs to be a large tank, 40 or 55 gal.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
k thx so far.. im pretty sure that i got a Female on my hands here.. for those of u who have had sucess, what kind of enclosure do u guys keep them in (substrate, plants, water dish, ect..)? I have seen alot of sugestions, but would like some input from experence :D

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a nicely landscaped terrarium will do. Lots of plants and branches. If you really want to get fancy set up a tank like you would do for P dart frogs and put the anole in there, they are interesting pets but keep handling to a min, they do not like it at all.