so apparently im weird!

sezra

Arachnosquire
I got called weird today because i keep native spiders. i caught a lace web (Amaurobius similis, http://www.uksafari.com/lacewebbed.htm) and a common house spider (Tegenaria duellica, http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm) and am keeping them in deli cups.

I find them just as interesting as any of my T's, and make sure they cared for just as well. I find people quite narrow minded actually if they are unable to appreciate what nature has to offer. these are stunning and interesting animals and are found within our own homes. its amazing, why shouldnt they be appreciated?

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Hehe, I know how you feel mate. I've been keeping Steatoda grossa for quite a while and they are native in the Netherlands and many people find it odd that I keep native animals. Native spiders are just as amazing as spiders from all over the world, in my opinion.

Though, I wonder how it is for some American who keep Latrodectus sp. those are native in some parts, and many people keep them. How do people respond to that? Apart from calling you insane for keeping spiders.

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
I have yet to find someone who thinks it's perfectly normal to keep T's and weird to keep true spiders, regardless of if they're native or not. Mostly people just think it's weird across the board. XD When people find out I keep widows they do get that "are you crazy" look in their eyes and ask if it's dangerous and what not, but I think that's similar to when they find out I keep T's.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Don't believe these sycophants! You are weird! Why have anything to do with spiders that you aren't going to eat?
(I hope you get my point)

agkistrodon99

Arachnopeon
Hehe, I know how you feel mate. I've been keeping Steatoda grossa for quite a while and they are native in the Netherlands and many people find it odd that I keep native animals. Native spiders are just as amazing as spiders from all over the world, in my opinion.

Though, I wonder how it is for some American who keep Latrodectus sp. those are native in some parts, and many people keep them. How do people respond to that? Apart from calling you insane for keeping spiders.
i have 2 lactrodectus mactans and a lacrodectus variolus and you would be surprised how many people are like wait you have black widows WOW thats so crazy or thats so cool is all i ever hear. i get called wierd for my scolopendra dehaani alot though lol

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I have yet to find someone who thinks it's perfectly normal to keep T's and weird to keep true spiders, regardless of if they're native or not. Mostly people just think it's weird across the board. XD When people find out I keep widows they do get that "are you crazy" look in their eyes and ask if it's dangerous and what not, but I think that's similar to when they find out I keep T's.
Pretty much this. They seem infinitely more weirded out about the existence of the spider in my home (or freshly caught in the pill bottle on my desk) than it's origin. But personally, I think they're exponentially weirder than I could ever aspire to be simply by being such that they are. So I could care less.

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
I got called weird today because i keep native spiders. i caught a lace web (Amaurobius similis, http://www.uksafari.com/lacewebbed.htm) and a common house spider (Tegenaria duellica, http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm) and am keeping them in deli cups.

I find them just as interesting as any of my T's, and make sure they cared for just as well. I find people quite narrow minded actually if they are unable to appreciate what nature has to offer. these are stunning and interesting animals and are found within our own homes. its amazing, why shouldnt they be appreciated?
I know that feel. But honestly, is it that bad to be recognized for unusual qualities? At least we're not mindless, hype-believing clones with little to no respect for nature's more fascinating and intricate wonders. I mean, I find it a little rough to CONSTANTLY be scorned for appreciating those eight-legged amazements, but... come on. Why should it be wrong to take an interest in something that so many people gloss over?

Fight the man, man!

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I keep lots of true spiders and although most find me weird any one that knows me knows it has always been this way lol. A lot of my friends actually stopped killing the spiders they find in theirs houses and either release them out or put them in a cup and call me, all just from me educating them and putting a stop to the misinformation and myths about arachnids.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I guess i dont get ridiculed because I'm going for the stranger, less common and/or beautiful spiders, Like Phidippus, Peucitia, Dysdera, and various wolves, that homeowners seldom see.

..Well that and the scorpions and tarantulas, and trapdoors, and large centipedes haha.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ironically, what is weird to me is people being so deathly afraid of not fitting in. They might as well plug into the Borg. I get this junk all the time. In fact I was thinking this this morning going to pick up a part for my truck. If some people didn't step out of the box and seem "weird" or different, we would still be living in caves and knocking chics out with a club and dragging them to the cave ....come to think of it, those must have been good times....

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
Ironically, what is weird to me is people being so deathly afraid of not fitting in. They might as well plug into the Borg. I get this junk all the time. In fact I was thinking this this morning going to pick up a part for my truck. If some people didn't step out of the box and seem "weird" or different, we would still be living in caves and knocking chics out with a club and dragging them to the cave ....come to think of it, those must have been good times....
I completely agree isn't it the weird ones that, ones that think outside the box, that we as modern people evolved from. It almost seems as if we as humans are moving backwards evolutionary wise.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I completely agree isn't it the weird ones that, ones that think outside the box, that we as modern people evolved from. It almost seems as if we as humans are moving backwards evolutionary wise.
Yeah, people working on radio seemed weird to the public, the telephone, the television, the computer, people fanatically interested in those things, they were called "weird". imo these people that criticize, they are slaves to other eyes, they are afraid, it's their insecurity they try to project on you. YEEEEAAHHH! fight the power!!!!!

That reminds me, I have a Wheelbug I found while riding my bike in a pack under the seat, need to get it out. I carried it "pinch" style for a couple of miles while walking to my bike. I guess that is weird HAHA.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Yeah, people working on radio seemed weird to the public, the telephone, the television, the computer, people fanatically interested in those things, they were called "weird". imo these people that criticize, they are slaves to other eyes, they are afraid, it's their insecurity they try to project on you. YEEEEAAHHH! fight the power!!!!!

That reminds me, I have a Wheelbug I found while riding my bike in a pack under the seat, need to get it out. I carried it "pinch" style for a couple of miles while walking to my bike. I guess that is weird HAHA.
pretty ballsy IMO, one bump and you could've been stung. Ive been bit by a wheelbug before, and it was very painful.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was interesting, nothing to put it in. And they have more venom than I thought, a pretty large clear drop hanging off the proboscis, moving around looking for something to pierce. I finally found a piece of paper to wrap it up in. The odor is kind of interesting to me, but ...I'm weird haha.

TEAM BUGS

Arachnopeon
i personally think US jumping spider are the coolest spider in the entire universe, and they are native to me. Weird it is.

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
i personally think US jumping spider are the coolest spider in the entire universe, and they are native to me. Weird it is.
Second on that--jumpers are mah fave. I would move all the way to Australia just to see a Maratus volans.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Second on that--jumpers are mah fave. I would move all the way to Australia just to see a Maratus volans.
I went from saying someday I will be a crazy pug lady with a house full of pugs, to saying one day I will be a crazy pug and jumper lady with a house full of pugs and jumpers. Jumpers are so SO charming. I have thought the same thing about the Maratus volans! I need to take a trip there someday!

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
I went from saying someday I will be a crazy pug lady with a house full of pugs, to saying one day I will be a crazy pug and jumper lady with a house full of pugs and jumpers. Jumpers are so SO charming. I have thought the same thing about the Maratus volans! I need to take a trip there someday!
Oh my goodness, a house full of pugs? Can you imagine the SNORING? I would never get any sleep...

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Oh my goodness, a house full of pugs? Can you imagine the SNORING? I would never get any sleep...
Haha, I find the snoring helps me go to sleep. But I can't sleep in silence, always need white noise... fans or cricket soundtracks, etc. I grew up in a very noisy house with everyone on different sleeping schedules, so it was the only way to drown out disturbances. Now sleeping in silence is unsettling for me. When my pug curls up to me and starts snoring, I start yawning myself. Must be a reverse Pavlov type of situation.