So about the feeding...

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Feeding my sling seems to be going ok. So far over the week I have placed two killed roaches in and both seem to be gone... but I keep wondering... did she drag em in her hole? I know we should remove uneaten food but.. if its buried with her... then what? I dont want to tear up her hole she dug looking for roach remains that may or may not be there...

DeanK

Arachnosquire
If its buried there's not much you can do. I don't worry too much about it unless a big issue arises like a large mold or mite outbreak

cold blood

Staff member
If the food is eaten, there generally isn't any uneaten food. People that are consistently removing uneaten food are feeding too much.

What you need to look for to remove is the bolus, but because slings eat small prey, their boli are tiny...so small its very difficult to locate. For slings the enclosure will be changed before those tiny boli amount to anything you would worry about.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Feeding my sling seems to be going ok. So far over the week I have placed two killed roaches in and both seem to be gone... but I keep wondering... did she drag em in her hole? I know we should remove uneaten food but.. if its buried with her... then what? I dont want to tear up her hole she dug looking for roach remains that may or may not be there...
You may not know, but most tarantula species are pretty clean animals. They have no need to have rotting food in their hole, it only attracts pests in the wild that could take them out (think ants). E sp Red are no exception. They will typically establish a garbage dumping ground.

It's very rare IME to observe bolus and dead crix littered all over. If that's the case, likely one is not cleaning up after the T. Once the bolus pile gets too big to their liking, they pick a new spot etc. They are very clean animals.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
If the food is eaten, there generally isn't any uneaten food. People that are consistently removing uneaten food are feeding too much.

What you need to look for to remove is the bolus, but because slings eat small prey, their boli are tiny...so small its very difficult to locate. For slings the enclosure will be changed before those tiny boli amount to anything you would worry about.
how often should i clean her enclosure? (replace substrate and all that)

cold blood

Staff member
Substrate never just needs to be replaced...it doesn't go bad...infestation or a massive mold outbreak are about the only reasons I change sub...otherwise they get new sub when they move into larger digs.

Spiders are pretty clean, pick out the bolus and should they get poo on the glass, wipe it off.

louise f

Arachnoangel
They are very clean animals, it is not only the leftovers of foods they throw out their hides, they throw out their molts too. And if you ever sit and look at your spiders at night, you will often find them grooming, that is so cute <3 :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hehe, i like that you had to put it like that friend. :D You indeed love your dwarfs, and especially the Euathlus no wonder,they are so cute <3 :D:)
I like a lot of the dwarf Ts because they take up less space. I can fit 2 dwarf Ts in the same space as a smithi for example. Also some of them just have interesting behaviors that aren't observed in other Ts.

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
how often should i clean her enclosure? (replace substrate and all that)
Has your Euathlus Sp Red sling shown any signs of premolt? Mine has started to hide alot and refused food yesterday. I was thinking since they came from the same mom that they should molt around the same time right?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Has your Euathlus Sp Red sling shown any signs of premolt? Mine has started to hide alot and refused food yesterday. I was thinking since they came from the same mom that they should molt around the same time right?
Sometimes they do stay close on their molts but not always. I have a set of three H.pulchripes slings and they are all kept and fed the same. Two of them are twice the size of the other one and have been for almost a month. The little one is in very heavy pre-molt it just hasn't yet.

I noted size and molt rates varying on several if the species I have multiples of.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Coming from the same mom or sac unfortunately doesn't mean they will molt at the same time.
It could be your house is slightly warmer or your feeders slightly fatter and yours will molt faster and vice versa. But even sacmates which are kept at the same conditions often molt at different times ;)

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
Thank you both for the information! If it does molt I will let you know!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What? I always molt at the same time as my brother! Usually after fattening up through Christmas, like in january...;)
Ah ah ah :)
My Bro used to say a similar thing after such Christmas dinner here, lol, "destroyed" in the bed, half drunk... "I'm in pre molt" loved to say

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
nah, no signs yet