Snapper

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey i found this guy walking around in a truck yard at work. I got him and am gonna release him in a pond near the river on a friends place where it will be safe. Thought yall would like the pix

Not sure if its a common or an alligator snapper ...i cant tell that small myself

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like a common snapper to me. but heck as babies they look so much like each other. Nice picture. Glad he is getting a new home where he will be safe GOOD JOB. :worship:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like a common snapper to me. but heck as babies they look so much like each other. Nice picture. Glad he is getting a new home where he will be safe GOOD JOB. :worship:
yeah it dosent have the big ridges on its back at that size anyway so...I just saw it had the spines on its tail so yeah its a common. not to mention it finally reached its head out and tried to bite me lol

Last edited:

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very, very cool. Thanks for letting us see. I found a couple of common snappers myself this summer.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,

I have rescued/rehabilitated several snappers of the last few years. Most of the ones I find are under 2 years of age. Many of them seem to have been run over. Shells would be cracked and bleeding. I would take them home and keep them until their wounds would heal. Usually around 3 months. I love snappers they are a great turtle.

By the way - it does look like a common snapper to me.

Tom

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rock! Definitely a Common Snapper. Where you live, the Alligator Snapper range starts more to the east of you. But it's close so I guess you could find an Alligator Snapper around there some day, but not likely. I just caught the biggest Snapper I've ever seen yesterday around Meridian to the west of you. It was huge. The feet were as big as the palm of my hand. Dangerously big but I couldn't help but jump in the water and grab it, still have 10 fingers. That one you found is not a baby but almost, my guess is barely over a year old. As they get older, they stop posing like that and won't close their eyes when you pick them up anymore, they will strike like a snake and lunge at you. Pretty amazing turtles!

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rock! Definitely a Common Snapper. Where you live, the Alligator Snapper range starts more to the east of you. But it's close so I guess you could find an Alligator Snapper around there some day, but not likely. I just caught the biggest Snapper I've ever seen yesterday around Meridian to the west of you. It was huge. The feet were as big as the palm of my hand. Dangerously big but I couldn't help but jump in the water and grab it, still have 10 fingers. That one you found is not a baby but almost, my guess is barely over a year old. As they get older, they stop posing like that and won't close their eyes when you pick them up anymore, they will strike like a snake and lunge at you. Pretty amazing turtles!
i have seen the alligator snappers in some lakes a bit east of where i live but west of where this one was . but they arent many. And i have never seen one this small lol
i would love to have a big pond with an alligator snapper in it lol man that would rock

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im way to scared to own a alligator snapper(not to mention i doubt i could move its 150+lbs of bulk)

may have to look into getting a common for my pond

do you think a 5' long by 3'ft wide pond thats about 18'' deep would be ok for a full grown snapper?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh no not mine. He is at a gator farm in Beaumont Texas. The original owners bandoned it and when the new people came in and drained the ponds they found this guy and I believe one other. One was missing two feet from bites from gators but now they live in alligator snapper luxery...the only reason th place could keep both of them in they were there when they bought the land. Also, they found the largest captive gator in Texas...imagine stumbling across all that!

VERY COOL LITTLE GUY THOUGH DRACHEN!!!!