snakes o plenty...pics...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey we got a new forum and I just happened to take a few snake pics. What a coincidence huh? :) enjoy

Phil

Pygmy rattler

Anery and stripe corns

Candy cane corn quickly becoming a fave of mine

Albino black rat

Snow corn

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More pics...

Couldn't fit these on the 1st post. :)
enjoy

Phil

Mexican hognose female

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Albino black rat
now... When you say something is albino and is black... Thats were I get confused... Shouldnt it just be called an albino rat? or something like that?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
now... When you say something is albino and is black... Thats were I get confused... Shouldnt it just be called an albino rat? or something like that?
"rat snake" is kind of a blanket term for the entire genus Elaphe, while the name "black rat" refers specifically to E. obsoleta obsoleta. That's the accepted common name for the species, even if the snake itself is not black.

Wade

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To elaborate on Wade's statement...

There are several colubrids refered to as rat snakes in their common name. Elaphe guttata emoryi ( great plains rat snake )
Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta ( black rat )
Elaphe obsoleta quadrivittata ( yellow rat )
Elaphe obsoleta spiloides ( grey rat )
Elaphe obsoleta lindheimerii ( texas rat ) etc. etc.

That is why an Amelenistic Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta is commonly called an Albino black rat.

Phil

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really like that candy cane corn.....I may have to get myself one of those. :D

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm in love with that pygmy...

But venomous snakes are illegal in Illinois and probably for the best, I can see myself doing something dumb and getting bit. Especially by such a fall, fast, and probably pretty fiesty snake, heh.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it isn't that fiesty...

Actually the pygmy is pretty decent temperment wise. It jerks its head around towards whatever moves at it but has yet to strike at me. Not that I am going to do it nor do I think it's a good idea but it could probably even be handled without incident. The venom is also pretty mild compared to some of the other rattlers but I wont be finding out how mild. :) I prefer to respect my hots and stay out of range. Seeing Kelly's canebrake has me wanting one of them too now so I guess my hot collection will be growing. I still have to get me a red pygmy as well.

Phil

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Beautiful snakes, Phillip. Time to clean up them old shed skins. ;P

Bry

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the shed skins...

On the young corns the sheds have been left in the log as they are simply a pain to get out. On the Hogs and Greybands I deliberately left them in to stimulate the males. The females fresh shed can get the male in the mood as it gives off her I'm ready to go scent. Also I don't get overy uptight about grabbing the sheds all the time as they do no harm when left in. :)

Phil