snake tank

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i was wondering what you could use as a cheap alternative to an aquarium for a 4-5ft long snake

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use a big clear plastic storage container from walmart. (its only about $15)
everyone tells me the biggest one you can get is the equivalent of a 55g long.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks alot i want to get a cornsnake but tanks are so expensive

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A adult corn snake can live in a 20 gallon long.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks alot i want to get a cornsnake but tanks are so expensive
if you want to get a cornsnake, i'll give you some advice.

1. dont buy from any petco. i bought mine there and it wouldnt eat. it died a week or two ago.

2. depending on its size, you could get a herp keeper (the "breeder style" thats long with dividers) i used that for my baby corn before it died.

3. a heat lamp may be recommended, but its really not that important. only babies and really active corn snakes need a heat source. thats what i learned anyway. everyone has there own opinion.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you want to get a cornsnake, i'll give you some advice.

1. dont buy from any petco. i bought mine there and it wouldnt eat. it died a week or two ago.

2. depending on its size, you could get a herp keeper (the "breeder style" thats long with dividers) i used that for my baby corn before it died.

3. a heat lamp may be recommended, but its really not that important. only babies and really active corn snakes need a heat source. thats what i learned anyway. everyone has there own opinion.
i know i had one once but i had to get rid of it due to moving.
i got most of my herps that i had from reptile shows.
More morphs less price

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Corn snakes should not be housed in glass aquariums built for fish. The many reasons why glass is terrible for housing reptiles can be seen on page 2 of the ball python enclosure thread in this section.

Also, if you cannot afford to buy correct housing for your snake then how do you propose to afford a reliable thermostat to run the heating element within the enclosure? These too can be quite pricey and are an absolute essential - anyone that skimps on buying one is asking for a burnt snake (belive me, I'm a biovet scientist - deal with a lot of sick and injured herps and thermal burns are by far the most common problem).

My advice to you is to wait a little while and save some money so you can buy a good wooden vivarium with safe heating. You can get them fairly cheaply second hand off Ebay - just make sure to disinfect it thoroughly before adding your new snake.

Hope this helps!

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know i had one once but i had to get rid of it due to moving.
i got most of my herps that i had from reptile shows.
More morphs less price
i hear that. lol. i just started getting herps and t's from reptile shows. i just went to hamburg in february, and im amazed at how different the animals are compared to petco's herps.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
3. a heat lamp may be recommended, but its really not that important
You kept a snake without a heat source and wonder why it wouldn't eat and then died? :? It is a scientific fact that cold-blooded animals need external warmth to be able to digest anything, and to keep their immune system up. It's not a matter of opinion. :?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've kept many colubrids without a heat source....many of the, Corn Snakes included, will do just fine at room temperatures as long as they are in the 75-80F range.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've kept many colubrids without a heat source....many of the, Corn Snakes included, will do just fine at room temperatures as long as they are in the 75-80F range.
But in theory that is still a heat source... Just the whole room is the right temp. If the room is below 75-80 a snake CANT digest its food so it will not eat, hence why it would die. Though it is a bad idea to buy any snake from pet-co even if you heat it properly.
~Samuel

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It depends on the species....If you keep a Mandarin Ratsnake above 80F for extended periods of time, you're asking for trouble.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ultimately just keep it at the right temps is the solution. If your room is 75-80 then no heat source. If your keeping something more tropical like a Ball or Boa then even a 75-80 room would need added heat. its alot of common sense once you know the requirements

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ultimately just keep it at the right temps is the solution. If your room is 75-80 then no heat source. If your keeping something more tropical like a Ball or Boa then even a 75-80 room would need added heat. its alot of common sense once you know the requirements
Quite right. I was just pointing out what i said as a general thing... Some can take it colder and some much hotter but that is an good average.
~Samuel