Snake shed + tarantula?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
My 18 year old corn snake just shed a perfect shed, as I was throwing it out I had a thought, is it safe to use his old skin as decoration with my Ts? Hes absolutely massive, out-sizing all my other corn snakes at 175cm

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend it. It will not benefit the tarantula in any way. If the enclosure is kept moist, the snakeskin might mold or attract mites. Even if kept dry, it can certainly attract other pests like clothes moths or carpet beetles.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Chromatopelma so dry for sure, but alas if it attracts bugs, to the trash.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, I can see where decomposition of a snakeskin could attract undesirable things. And even in an arid situation, that might be an issue, though perhaps less likely in the case of things like mites, since many (if not all) of the usual types require a humid environment.

Besides, I found another use for those snakeskins I have around. :D

m_IMG_8972crop.jpg

I don't intend to leave those on there, I did it to amuse myself and bemuse others. On the other hand, I frankly don't find it terribly unattractive. So maybe I'll leave them .But I could not quite finish it because I couldn't locate the box that I've stored old sheds in for some reason.

Wandered a bit off topic, but t'is the season! :D

Oh, and I'd be a bit surprised if I were the first to come up with this. It was my original idea, but probably far from an original concept.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I cant see why you cant use it as decoration if you think it looks cool. I have never heard snakeskin mold or attracting mites? But i am no snake expert, so i wont argue against people who knows better!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have never heard snakeskin mold or attracting mites? But i am no snake expert, so i wont argue against people who knows better!
I never thought the skins themselves would attract mites. My ball python sheds are kept near T enclosures (well, so are all the bits from my bearded dragon sheds too). I'd also like to know if sheds can attract anything -- but mine are bone dry and kept in lidded containers to keep dust off them.

[I don't save the bits from bearded dragon sheds anymore, so his are old -- but I still save BP sheds]

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Hm maybe I can just use one and replace it monthly, aka every time he sheds. He sheds a lot.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I don't think a shed skin would attract mites if it was kept dry. Years ago when I had my 11 foot boa she shed a perfect skin and the owner of the local tavern asked me for it and mounted it on one of the walls of the tavern, it was there for years and they never had any problems.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Yeah, I can see where decomposition of a snakeskin could attract undesirable things. And even in an arid situation, that might be an issue, though perhaps less likely in the case of things like mites, since many (if not all) of the usual types require a humid environment.

Besides, I found another use for those snakeskins I have around. :D

View attachment 327941

I don't intend to leave those on there, I did it to amuse myself and bemuse others. On the other hand, I frankly don't find it terribly unattractive. So maybe I'll leave them .But I could not quite finish it because I couldn't locate the box that I've stored old sheds in for some reason.

Wandered a bit off topic, but t'is the season! :D

Oh, and I'd be a bit surprised if I were the first to come up with this. It was my original idea, but probably far from an original concept.
Wish I could do this with my leopard geckos but alas...they eat their shed:shifty:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have seen other people that have used snake sheds as decorative touches for a t enclosure but that guy also has a lot of mold outbreaks too. Not sure if it is climate or some kind of correlation.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Wish I could do this with my leopard geckos but alas...they eat their shed:shifty:
Trust me -- so will bearded dragons! They let them sit under basking lamp and eat them when their sheds are super dry and crunchy!!!

I only ever tended to keep the large pieces -- esp if the BD back peeled in one-go (and if I got to them first, of course!!!).