Snake sexing

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone have an easy way of sexing a florida king snake? Its about 18-19 inchs. Its the only snake I've ever owned so Im not sure how to go about this.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The easiest ways to determine the sex either by the shape and length of the tail or by probing the snake. Both methods are best done by someone that has had a bit of experience since the first requires seeing a number of snakes (or having multiples so that you can compare) and the second runs the risk of injuring the snake if you do it incorrectly.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in a pretty small area. I dont think I would be able to find a snake expert very easily. Would pictures be possible to judge from?

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pictures would help a little, but without a few animals for comparison at best it would be a guess. pictures, especially of younger animals, can be misleading as to the size of something. is there a reptile vet in your area? if so they should be able to probe your snake safely and for a small fee. searching google for pictures of side by side comparisons of florida kingsnakes of known sexes will help, but not provide a complete answer. try looking around your area for other snake keepers and make friends with them, you might get lucky and find someone with a set of probes thats adept at using them. good luck.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Simple visual comparison is inaccurate at best. Probing is definite, but must be done by someone that is well-experienced...an inexperienced person can both be incorrect, and permanently damage the snake.

Fluoroscopy/x0-ray is also accurate if the attending veterinarian knows what to look for, but it is not inexpensive.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Um...he's in newfoundland...in a smallll smalll smalll small town of nothingness... sad times. I didn't enjoy it there at all lol....

shane, why don't you go to that show in halifax that's coming up? they might have some probers there so someone can sex it for you.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Show some nice pictures of the underside with the tail held straight. Though not what I'd call the most accurate, it may be somewhat helpful.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maybe try find someone at a pet store to do it..that is if he's a reptile dude like th eone here who fools with reptiles, etc and knows what he's doing...otherwise check around your area for other people who may keep snakes..if no luck there then just try doing the tail trick.