Snake Problem

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A couple weeks ago I took an 18" black rat snake out of my neighbor's house. My son wanted to keep it, so we set it up in a tank with a "secure" lid. A week later I went to see how the snake was doing and found it had escaped. Checked the room and couldn't find it.

So another week goes by and my spouse comes busting into the bedroom at 5:30 AM (she goes to work early), waking me from a peaceful sleep screaming "THERE'S A SNAKE LOOSE IN MY HOUSE? I'M LIVING WITH A SNAKE RUNNING LOOSE IN THE HOUSE?"

My son, not having the wisdom I've accumulated in 17 years of marital bliss, has told his mother the snake got out.

My explanations of "small", "non-venomous" and "they don't really 'run' " don't appease her. She convinces me that I should get up and find the snake. So I check a number of obvious places (Honey... I can do a better job of finding the snake if you let go of my ear) but find nothing. After enduring a vicious verbal caning, I get on with my day. (Hey.. wait a minute... maybe my son does know what he's doing ... clever lad).

Another week goes by and my wife again disturbs my peaceful slumber in the morning because there's something on the rec room floor in the basement. I go down to find two piles of cat barf, which isn't unusual. However, this is different. Generously mixed in with the usual partially digested cat food are black and white and red chunks of something that looks suspiciously like snake, especially the piece with the two eyes and a mouth.

Fortunately, I have a strong stomach because this stuff is not like the usual cat upchuck. Much more colorful, plenty of blood and slime, and a much stronger odor, kind of jiggles and falls apart when one tries to pick it up (sorry, no pictures). Gives me a flashback to camping as a kid and Dinty Moore Stew.

Well, gotta go ... lunchtime.

One question though. When my spouse says "NO...MORE...SNAKES...IN...THE...HOUSE!!!", does that mean I need to wait at least a month before I get another snake, or should I wait a bit longer?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Fantastic story. Well done.

One question though. When my spouse says "NO...MORE...SNAKES...IN...THE...HOUSE!!!", does that mean I need to wait at least a month before I get another snake, or should I wait a bit longer?
You needn't wait, you need only justify her response. I suggest a king cobra as your next species. That way her objections won't seem so irrational.

Cheers,
Dave

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she didn't specifically mention monitor lizards, then you still have that option.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Generously mixed in with the usual partially digested cat food are black and white and red chunks of something that looks suspiciously like snake, especially the piece with the two eyes and a mouth.
Yeah, it's a whole different ball game when the barf stares back at you, isn't it?

I just hope I can forget your comments before the next time I sit down to a bowl of Dinty Moore!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Poor snake. Hopefully the next one won't get out and become kitty barf.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I just ate. Wait til she wants something you don't want in the house. "Yeah OK, we can get that ...if I can get another snake.." I know, that won't work. I've never been afraid of snakes, but I understand why some people are. When I really question those people, there final answer is usually, "I just don't like them!" There isn't anywhere else to go with it. It can be frustrating if you let it be, oh yeah, and if they won't let you get one.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Amazing because while I can handle just about anything (baby poop, dog poop, plugged up toilet) I cannot deal with cat vomit. My stomach lurches something fierce, lol

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry if this is off topic but reminded me of something.
Years back I got up to get a drink. Walked through the kitchen toward the sink and stepped in something wet and slimy. hobbled to the light switch and turned on the light. I look down and its a whole mouse head starring up at me between my toes. the rest of the mouse is partly digested and partly on the bottom of my foot.
By the time I got it all cleaned up I was a bit upset with the kitty and didn't want a snack or a drink anymore.
To bad about the snake. Maybe she will get over it and let you get a new one. Just get a bigger one the cat cant eat.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am pretty lucky..i get to do as a please in my home.
the wife says nothing.
she puts up with insects on every wallspace, and in the freezer, to skeletons and skulls, and everything in between.:D

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You've been married for 17 years and don't know the answer to this one?
:? :? :?

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She said no more snakes in the house, but what if you keep them in a cage? hah{D Also I htink when she says no more snakes, she mean s she secretly really wants a snake of her own .

ali-loves-bugs

Arachnopeon
I say, if you find one that you want, get it.

I have wanted a snake for as long as I can remember, but never got the chance to have one. My husband (who totally despised snakes) and I have been married for 10 years now and he has always told me when I mention maybe wanting one, that it's him or the snake. Chosing to stay married, I have never gotten a snake. Until... I found an awesome deal on a pair of ball pythons earlier this year and absolutely coudn't resist, they came home with me. Well, I am still married and believe it or not, my snakes are my husbands favorite of all of my critters.

She just may learn to like them.

Laurie

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say, if you find one that you want, get it.

I have wanted a snake for as long as I can remember, but never got the chance to have one. My husband (who totally despised snakes) and I have been married for 10 years now and he has always told me when I mention maybe wanting one, that it's him or the snake. Chosing to stay married, I have never gotten a snake. Until... I found an awesome deal on a pair of ball pythons earlier this year and absolutely coudn't resist, they came home with me. Well, I am still married and believe it or not, my snakes are my husbands favorite of all of my critters.

She just may learn to like them.

Laurie
My wife would not let me get anything that ate in her words, "Cute furry critters." Then a friend of hers asked us if we wanted his ball python and two corn snakes and she finally agreed to getting these only because they ate frozen mice. Well, since then we have gotten 3 more snakes and she is enjoying them as much as me but the condition still stands that they can only eat frozen mice.