Snake mites...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Away from the 8 legged to the legless... I have mites in one of my snake terrariums for the first time. I ordered Frontline (Fipronil) - supposedly the only really effective, but not harmless, remedy. Does anyone here in the forum happen to have experience with the dosage, etc.? Can anyone recommend an adequate alternative? My thought is as follows: I will use surgical gloves, spray them with the agent and then let the boa slide over them. She will then spend several days in a dry quarantine tank that is well ventilated. I would appreciate any experiences etc. on the subject!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Snakes are, with rare exceptions, waterproof. Give them a bath in a mild solution of laundry detergent for a few minutes several times a day followed by a rinse bath. This will kill some of the adult mites so repeating several times will be required. No serious worries about drowning as they automatically hold their heads up at or above water level and can hold their breath up to a half hour or so.
Avoid using detergents with perfumes. No telling what effect those may have on the olfactory department.
BTW, a lot of snakes like to go swimming. Even arboreal species. It has been conjectured they use water as a body temperature regulator.

@HooahArmy Time to weigh in here. IMHO, Fipronil should be banned world wide. A powerful broad spectrum pervasive and persistent neurotoxin .

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My ball python came with lots of black mites (2015 - purchased as a juvie at Repticon) and I used Provent-A-Mite spray. You spray the enclosure (usually after cleaning) while snake is out. It only goes in enclosure NOT on snake itself. Spray whole enclosure and let dry (20 minutes or so). I got rid of the mites in less than 2 weeks (possibly in one week). Amazing spray. Back then, I think it was about $30 bucks a can and I am never without it. Though have never needed since. I lined mine's enclosure with white paper towels so I could easily see the progress. Most amazing spray ever!!! I also used it in my bearded dragon's enclosure to keep him safe. My BD never caught the mites brought in by my snake

Guess you can tell I a a huge fan of Provent-A-Mite. My snake (and BD) were fine, never showed any problems with the residual spray residue in their enclosures. Can't recommend Provent-a-mite enough. Both are still with me -- healthy and mite free still.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Thank you for your insights!
I bathed the two affected animals yesterday and today, a large part of the mites remained in the water. I professionally disinfected the terrarium today, not even an egg lives there anymore! The snakes will be treated with very little Fibronil tomorrow and will remain in quarantine for 7 more days. Then the spat should come to an end. An acquaintance recommended me a powder that probably destroys the structure of the mites. This powder is still used prophylactically in the newly cleaned pool. All inventory was in the oven or was disposed of.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
@HooahArmy Time to weigh in here. IMHO, Fipronil should be banned world wide. A powerful broad spectrum pervasive and persistent neurotoxin .
Thanks for calling me in! I wasn't a member of the last forum this post was made in, but now I can see it after it's been moved.
Fipronil is something I've studied, and yes, it is indeed a very toxic but common insecticide. The primary route of poisoning is ingestion, which means that a pet of any form will need to consume it in order to get sickened. Snakes are fortunately not known as self-lickers and some formulations of Fipronil are recommended for reptile mites. Those concentrations are diluted enough to address the mites but not irritate the snake. However, do keep in mind that some snakes like to bathe in water bowls and then take a drink! This could result in ingestion, so keep an eye on your pals!
While Fipronil is a neurotoxin and is quite hazardous, the amounts being sold on the markets are very regulated. There are regulations on toxin concentrations in commercial products along with warnings posted left and right on bottles. I believe it's also the stuff in Frontline flea medication and thus has been deemed safe for mammals at certain amounts. The stuff is only shady in certain nations that do not have the same regulations and where its sold in less diluted quantities. Then does it begin to become an environmental hazard.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Thanks for calling me in! I wasn't a member of the last forum this post was made in, but now I can see it after it's been moved.
Fipronil is something I've studied, and yes, it is indeed a very toxic but common insecticide. The primary route of poisoning is ingestion, which means that a pet of any form will need to consume it in order to get sickened. Snakes are fortunately not known as self-lickers and some formulations of Fipronil are recommended for reptile mites. Those concentrations are diluted enough to address the mites but not irritate the snake. However, do keep in mind that some snakes like to bathe in water bowls and then take a drink! This could result in ingestion, so keep an eye on your pals!
While Fipronil is a neurotoxin and is quite hazardous, the amounts being sold on the markets are very regulated. There are regulations on toxin concentrations in commercial products along with warnings posted left and right on bottles. I believe it's also the stuff in Frontline flea medication and thus has been deemed safe for mammals at certain amounts. The stuff is only shady in certain nations that do not have the same regulations and where its sold in less diluted quantities. Then does it begin to become an environmental hazard.
Thanks for the answer! I have the spray, i.e. not the slightly higher dosed spot-on version. I'm going to put two smacks on a surgical glove and slide the animal over it. After that, quarantine is announced. 48h completely dry before I offer water. Is that enough?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@HooahArmy Useful info. I noted Fipronil as the active ingredient in one of the treatments given to dogs and cats. To be applied to the skin on the back of the neck where the animal can't lick. Supposedly will kill a broad spectrum of parasites for up to three months. 10 out of 10 for persistence but far from the sales pitch where it requires the parasites to feed from the contaminated area.
The info sheet never mentioned the substance must be ingested meaning hit or miss, the parasites feeding on that particular patch of skin. Far from the Complete protection for up to three months sales pitch. Just putting a drop on the skin would be largely ineffective. A large area should be shaved to bare skin and the chemical spread out over as wide an area as possible. Between the ears from the posterior of the skull on down to near the shoulders.

Side note. VERY aggravating. A vet assistant demonstrated the use. Parting the fur and applying the drop to the skin. No mention that the animal should be socially isolated if animals lick each other and a pathway for mothering cats and dogs caring for offspring.

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the answer! I have the spray, i.e. not the slightly higher dosed spot-on version. I'm going to put two smacks on a surgical glove and slide the animal over it. After that, quarantine is announced. 48h completely dry before I offer water. Is that enough?
It should be plenty!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
So - the procedure is largely over, the animals are fine!
Both received a small dose of Fibronil through a rubber glove on the body. They were still prophylactic, treated with a natural powder against red bird mites (it also helps with snake mites and is absolutely harmless) in a quarantine tank. In the meantime I have defined the Terra several times and also made sure that the mite eggs are killed. After 4 days of dry keeping, the animals got water again and are behaving as usual. Thanks again for the support!
PXL_20230304_080352893.jpg

PXL_20230304_090852358.jpg

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have used Nix shampoo for humans with great success!! Diluted in a spray bottle!! Just my 2 cents 🙂 works great!