Snake found in back yard

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Found this little one under a piece of plywood just chilling and digesting what ever it is making that belly bulge lol Any idea what it is?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm very far from an expert, but it almost looks like a juvie broad-banded water snake. Lovely find, regardless of what it is - what a handsome animal!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm very far from an expert, but it almost looks like a juvie broad-banded water snake. Lovely find, regardless of what it is - what a handsome animal!
thats what i told my nephew but theres no water around here

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, definitely a watter snake of some sort. Which subspecies i'm not positive.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah..it has to be a broad banded..i see the keeled scales.
water snakes and water moccasins are not equatic snakes, and can live miles from water.
very nice!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's a baby Broad-banded Watersnake, and that's probably a toad in its belly. I've caught these and Red-bellied Watersnakes in my yard, and it's at least six miles to the nearest body of permanent water. Given the amount of rainfall that much of TX has gotten recently, a lot of these guys are probably glad to find a place that doesn't have much water, since they do have to spend time on dry land, unlike truely aquatic snakes. These make good pets, and out of all the Nerodia, are the easiest to switch over to rodents in my experience, if you decide to keep it.

pitbulllady

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah its very calm . i will prob let it go again in a day or two . its a pretty critter tho.