Snake Feeding Trouble

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
66 qt.One of those oblique ones with white locking lid at the Walmarts

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey PBL, question about replicating brumation in captivity with WC snakes. with normal house temps (60 at night), is there anything more i need to do to simulate this or will the snake "know" as you had sort of mentioned? the snake has already stopped eating a month or so ago.
No, at those temps a snake native to a temperature climate will naturally go off-feed and brumate. Brumation temps do not need to be cold. I keep my snakes in my bedroom, and night-time winter temps don't drop below 65, otherwise that would be too cold for ME! My native Colubrids still stop feeding sometime between late October and mid-November, regardless. I check up on them now and then, and keep offering water, and if we have a prolonged warm spell(which happens in SC-don't know about CO), I will offer them food, but most will not eat until March or even April. They do just seem to "know", though how they do this is beyond me. I have lights on after dark, which would seem to mimic a long daylight, and I keep light-blocking shades on the windows which blocks out natural sunlight, otherwise I would not be able to sleep, but they still know when fall has arrived and will stop feeding even if the weather is still warm. I don't really have to do anything. I do switch off the lights on the Boas and Pythons now, which stimilulates them to breed, since fall is their mating season(unlike our native snakes).

pitbulllady

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thank you very much! so, the snake is still wandering a bit, i expect that to be somewhat normal? everything else has been happening normal so far. looks a little thin, but not too bad.

No, at those temps a snake native to a temperature climate will naturally go off-feed and brumate. Brumation temps do not need to be cold. I keep my snakes in my bedroom, and night-time winter temps don't drop below 65, otherwise that would be too cold for ME! My native Colubrids still stop feeding sometime between late October and mid-November, regardless. I check up on them now and then, and keep offering water, and if we have a prolonged warm spell(which happens in SC-don't know about CO), I will offer them food, but most will not eat until March or even April. They do just seem to "know", though how they do this is beyond me. I have lights on after dark, which would seem to mimic a long daylight, and I keep light-blocking shades on the windows which blocks out natural sunlight, otherwise I would not be able to sleep, but they still know when fall has arrived and will stop feeding even if the weather is still warm. I don't really have to do anything. I do switch off the lights on the Boas and Pythons now, which stimilulates them to breed, since fall is their mating season(unlike our native snakes).

pitbulllady

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently got some eastern Diamond backs (3) and some western/eastern crosses(3) about 2 weeks ago.They all ate twice like they should,"but the largest male eastern male still has not eaten yet:confused:

Still very active and smells prey item but turns his nose up and slithers a way:mad:

I hoping he is about to shed,I almost typed molt,but it is not in blue yet

Hate to force feed if its going in dormant state
Give him another week?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I recently got some eastern Diamond backs (3) and some western/eastern crosses(3) about 2 weeks ago.They all ate twice like they should,"but the largest male eastern male still has not eaten yet:confused:

Still very active and smells prey item but turns his nose up and slithers a way:mad:

I hoping he is about to shed,I almost typed molt,but it is not in blue yet

Hate to force feed if its going in dormant state
Give him another week?

his clock might be telling him it's time to go dormant. if food is offered and he keeps refusing, let him be. try maybe offering food at warm spells every month or so?

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
his clock might be telling him it's time to go dormant. if food is offered and he keeps refusing, let him be. try maybe offering food at warm spells every month or so?
cool will do.I am trying to get a widow,used to have them around here like crazy.the southern

but now I want to keep one,and they all ran away from me {D

I see you are the man on here with them,and wanting to purchase some, any suggestions?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
cool will do.I am trying to get a widow,used to have them around here like crazy.the southern

but now I want to keep one,and they all ran away from me {D

I see you are the man on here with them,and wanting to purchase some, any suggestions?
you'll see a lot for sale for really cheap during the summertime.