Snails and slugs questions.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know where I can find slugs and snails for sale? Both land and aquatic. I like banana slugs and Id like to keep one. but dont know too mucha bout them. anyone can help? I also want to know about those large pond snails I find in my nearby pond. They are huge. I assume even if its cold they will still be there. I wanna go check eventually.
Is there anything you guys can tell me about snails and slugs that I should know? Both land and aquatic(freshwater only).

DeeSeven

Arachnopeon
not all snails are illegal to ship What, you can ship some species of aquatic snails

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not all snails are illegal to ship What, you can ship some species of aquatic snails
As a general rule they are illegal to ship without permits. If there are any specific gaps in the regulations other than for the Pomacea bridgesii (diffusa) complex I do not see them listed on the page I linked.

Last edited:

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I think tarantulainc had some sort of snail for sale..

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snails and slugs are illegal to ship across state lines without permits.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/organism/snails_slugs.shtml
hmm. Well I will get a permit. Iam over the age limit so that shouldnt be a problem. Okay? I can get one by this month. But what id like to know is what are some land snails I can buy and land slugs. Also Iam thinking if anything fails Id just go out to my pond by my friends house and catch some large pond snails. I like them so yeah

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm. Well I will get a permit. Iam over the age limit so that shouldnt be a problem. Okay? I can get one by this month. But what id like to know is what are some land snails I can buy and land slugs.
Good luck... just fyi their policy on issuing permits to individuals for insects(plant pests - phasmids and beetles) is that they dont. Perhaps their opinion differs on snails/slugs... :)

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You most likely will not get a permit.
Don't be disappointed, though!
A long time ago some scientist let loose Cepaea nemoralis, a really cool species of snail, here in the US. Guess where he released them? In New Jersey!
They shouldn't be too hard to find; check parks with grassy areas right after rains and on cool spring nights. They get a shell diameter of a little over 1.25 inches, and are very easy to keep and breed. Very pretty, too. :p

Last edited:

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
You most likely will not a permit.
A long time ago some scientist let loose Cepaea nemoralis, a really cool species of snail, here in the US. Guess where he released them? In New Jersey!
They shouldn't be too hard to find; check parks with grassy areas right after rains and on cool spring nights. They get a shell diameter of a little over 1.25 inches, and are very easy to keep and breed. Very pretty, too. :p
you can come get some out of my back yard. I always feel so bad when I accidently step on them

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Sometimes you may have luck getting a permit if you can find a teacher that will say they are going to use it for education purposes.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You most likely will not a permit.
I never seen one of those. Though I never seen a snail IN new jersey, and I been here for like 6years now. All I see are slugs. lol. I would like to find them. Too bad its winter. Its not snowing though.There is this snail that are for sale on this biological site its called a texas land snail. Looks similar to that. lol very pretty too