Snail still dont wake up

Esekpaso

Arachnopeon
hello. My snail is sleeping for almost 20 days with his paper like barrier.Im worried about his health.He had enough air holes at his box. I made wet him dirt but still same. What can i do? Thanks

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Some of my snails have slept for 5 months before and woken up fine, just very hungry. There is a famous story about a museum having a snail shell glued to one of their displays for about three years I think, and then one day it started moving and woke up! I would not be worried, 20 days is not even close to a long time for them

Esekpaso

Arachnopeon
Some of my snails have slept for 5 months before and woken up fine, just very hungry. There is a famous story about a museum having a snail shell glued to one of their displays for about three years I think, and then one day it started moving and woke up! I would not be worried, 20 days is not even close to a long time for them
oh thanks..it made me comfortable. Was your snails have white barrier at their hole?

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
oh thanks..it made me comfortable. Was your snails have white barrier at their hole?
If it looks like a shiny, mucus-like film over their shell hole then yes, that is normal for a sleeping snail. Posting a picture of it would help to be sure

Esekpaso

Arachnopeon
If it looks like a shiny, mucus-like film over their shell hole then yes, that is normal for a sleeping snail. Posting a picture of it would help to be sure
my a snail looks like mucus-film. but another is has a white paper like thing at his hole. and my other 5 snails are dont have both. I cant see their leech.
5 snails are at this status for months;White paper hole snail is 3 or 4 weeks.

Attachments

Snailientologist

Arachnosquire
The paper-like barrier is just a sign of dormancy, and will likely last a few weeks. It can be pretty spontaneous or due to inadequate conditions, but probably just the prior. As for the ones with no barrier or visible body, they might be dead. To determine if the snail is still alive in its shell, try holding one up to a light source to see if the light shines through the shell or is blocked by a mass inside. You can also probably tell by the weight of the shell. If at all in doubt, leave the shells in and hope for the best.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
You mention making the substrate wet... was it dry before? One reason they'll seal up is conditions being too dry, but they often won't unseal the moment it gets damp. You have to maintain the moist conditions. Sphagnum moss can be useful for this, as it holds in the moisture better than dirt and gives the snails somewhere to hide.

Also, if that cap is where the snail is sitting, take the snail out and put them back on the substrate.

Esekpaso

Arachnopeon
The paper-like barrier is just a sign of dormancy, and will likely last a few weeks. It can be pretty spontaneous or due to inadequate conditions, but probably just the prior. As for the ones with no barrier or visible body, they might be dead. To determine if the snail is still alive in its shell, try holding one up to a light source to see if the light shines through the shell or is blocked by a mass inside. You can also probably tell by the weight of the shell. If at all in doubt, leave the shells in and hope for the best.
thank you.

Esekpaso

Arachnopeon
You mention making the substrate wet... was it dry before? One reason they'll seal up is conditions being too dry, but they often won't unseal the moment it gets damp. You have to maintain the moist conditions. Sphagnum moss can be useful for this, as it holds in the moisture better than dirt and gives the snails somewhere to hide.

Also, if that cap is where the snail is sitting, take the snail out and put them back on the substrate.
Yes it was. I didint keep wet the dirt. I will place them to dirt and make wet the dirt. Thank you