snail ID?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see these around here in central TX. Usually I just see the shells but I've found a few live ones. It has strange appendages(?) next to it's mouth that I've never noticed before. Anybody have an ID for this dude?

Mark Baumann

Arachnopeon
Looks like what's called a turbo snail, scientific name escapes me. They're an introduced species used to control other introduced snails. They have a taste for other snails but one big draw back is when there are no more snails to eat, they'll eat plants especially strawberries. Mark

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're right! Well you had the right snail in mind. I think turbos are aquatic(?) but you were thinking about that predatory snail I read about a long time ago here on the AB. It's a Euglandina rosea. I didn't know that's what I've been seeing. I didn't know they were around here:? Well I like snails so I'm not letting it go in my yard:mad: even though they are probably in my yard anyway. I found this one a few miles from here but I've seen many shells so they must be all around. Thanks!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup:clap: the ole rosy wolf snail ive kept them before,we have them down here in fla. aswell and man can they attack other snails:razz: they follow the snails slime trail until they get right up to it,they have sharp teeth inside those apendages and they tear the snail right out of the shell to eat. very cool snail! definitly worth keeping for awhile,i kept mine for a long time.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there is a turbo snail that is aquatic and saltwater but i dont know if there is also a land snail named that

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive got saltwater predatory snails, olive snail,vase snail,murex snail,tulip,crown conch snail,just to name a few,awesome colorful snails and most of them feed on the small s/w turbo snails,aswell as frozen fish.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're right! Well you had the right snail in mind. I think turbos are aquatic(?) but you were thinking about that predatory snail I read about a long time ago here on the AB. It's a Euglandina rosea. I didn't know that's what I've been seeing. I didn't know they were around here:? Well I like snails so I'm not letting it go in my yard:mad: even though they are probably in my yard anyway. I found this one a few miles from here but I've seen many shells so they must be all around. Thanks!
as far as i know the rosy wolf(euglandina rosea) is the only land predatory snail,but i'm not positive,i think in other countries there are other land pred.snails,which ofcourse i would love to see and have:drool: oh wait we do have another very small pred.snail aka cannibalistic ssp. it is supposed to control garden snails,they sell them for pest control,not sure on the scientific name though.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aren't the olive aquatic snails the same ones that are deadly? They shoot a long harpoon out at fish and devour them. They are usually active at night? Is the same one?

John

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definately E.rosea. The elongated "lips" help in grabbing prey. They can eat the shell as well