Smuggler Caught Shipping tarantulas in LA

greenmonkey51

Arachnopeon
My biggest concern lies in exactly how transporting these creatures is going to be done since FedEx expressed to my friend that they've got a policy against live animals
Your friend better check again. Fedex has a dedicated live animal department and has arranged contracts with reptile shipping companies.

I think 20 years is a rather stiff penalty, but I don't believe Sven is the only person who is capable of providing captive bred stock, nor that he should go unpunished for this. I know a lot of people admire what he's done, and that he's probably done a great deal in terms of increasing the captive bred stocks of T's we all want to own, but this doesn't mean he's above the law or that this isn't detrimental.
20 years is merely the maximum sentence. It is likely he never see a day in prison. Fines, probation, and no imports are all likely punishments. It costs money to jail someone why do that for a first time offender that is a foreign national.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
20 years is merely the maximum sentence. It is likely he never see a day in prison. Fines, probation, and no imports are all likely punishments. It costs money to jail someone why do that for a first time offender that is a foreign national.
I very much agree

MrDusty

Arachnopeon
Your friend better check again. Fedex has a dedicated live animal department and has arranged contracts with reptile shipping companies.
From what I've just read, and posted here (2009 and January 2011 respectiveely), not Tarantulas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
FedEx Prohibited Items
The Shipping Annex as a FASC is bound contractually and ethically to meet all FedEx terms and conditions for shipment. Our clients prohibited from tendering the following items for shipment, and they will not be accepted:

Cash, currency, collectible stamps and coins.

Live animals, except as provided in the Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish) section. (Edible seafood, such as live lobsters, crabs or other types of fish and shellfish for human consumption, is acceptable, provided the shipper is in compliance with all local, state and federal laws.)

Animal carcasses. (Animal heads and other parts for taxidermy may be accepted but must be properly packaged. This restriction does not apply to properly packaged meat or poultry products intended for human consumption.)

Human corpses, human body parts, human embryos, or cremated or disinterred human remains.

Shipments that require us to obtain a local, state or federal license for their transportation.

Shipments that may cause damage or delay to equipment, personnel or other shipments.

Lottery tickets and gambling devices where prohibited by local, state or federal law.

Hazardous waste, including, but not limited to, used hypodermic needles or syringes, or other medical waste.

Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odor of any kind.

Live insects.

Shipments or commodities that are prohibited by applicable local, state or federal law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)
FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).
The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.
Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.