Smoking and keeping scorps- are they compatible?

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i smoke alot, and i mean alot, like a chimney thats on fire in addition to the fire it is ment to ventilate, and so my question is would this be bad to my scorpions? i often smoke in the same room that i keep them in but so far they have not seemed to be adversely effected by it.

i keep all thier tanks well ventilated with very high humidity(usually around 60-80%) but sometimes when i hotbox thier space the room is full of so much smoke you can barely see. when this happens just to be safe i open my door to let some air in.

i mean they must survive wild fires in the wild right?

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nicotine is a natural insectreppelant. It would be harmful if there where 10 guys smoking in your house each night. I am a nicotinist aswell and never had problems with tarantula's or scorpions.

I have read of student who kept praying mantis in his dorm. al of them died during a party with lots of smokers....
So don't overdo it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as an experiment i kept a black widow in a jar and constantly blew my smoke in it.

for months and months it survived as well as any widow i have ever kept... then i left it out on the counter one day (it lived in my bathroom where i smoked) and it got solarized.

but more like, longitudinally... i've read about plenty of people keeping bugs for years and years with 2+ pack a day smoking in the same house/room and nothing grossly bad seems to have happened

now, it would be foolish to assume that absolutely *nothing* bad happens... i wouldn't be surprised if the number of viable offspring per brood produced in a smoking house is less... or the viables were less robust or something like

but it isn't like you are spraying RAID on your scorps, by any stretch

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't say that any of my T's seem to be bothered by smoke, My Fiance and I both smoke and even the T's that I keep in our bedroom dont seem to have anything adverse going on with any of them...They all are doing just fine...

I would have to say though, if your smoking something other that Cigs or Cigars...THEY MIGHT surcome to the effects...But that's an area that I dont get into so I can't say for sure, I have seen a couple T's come out of a house where someone was cooking meth, and they didnt survive very long though...Can't really give ya much more info than that....

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've also wondered the same thing, although I have see no adverse affects, I must agree that they cannot always be obvious. I smoke about a pack a day and my best friend about a half a pack so there is a bit of smokin lingering around at any given time. Point being, I keep a wolf spider that I found in my house he is the only one who is "free floating" meaning he's the only one that doesn't stay in one particular place, his container is sometimes on the tv sometimes the shelf, the desk, etc, and he's never seemed affected by it at all, he lived in this house before I captured him so he must have been exposed to smoke at sometime. 2) Another example I can cite is a picture I saw on here in the picture thread with someone holding I think scorpoio marus, with a ciggarette in the other hand and an ashtray over flowing right next to it. So from that I can conclude that no one has seen harsh enough effects in they're animals to stop smoking around them so hopefully it's not too too bad, but of course it's obviously not doing any good. The only thing I can imagine is that the smoke has a hard time getting down into the tanks, unless you have like a ceiling fan running which will "push" the smoke around.

As for "other" smoke... I think it would hurt species that need to be moist more than cigarette smoke..but thats mny opinion only. As you said South someome making a thing like meth shoujld kill an animal.... seeings that it is made using material that in quanity can kill a human... So if anyone makes syntheic drugs... don't keep inverts haha!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i only smoke herb
lol, i hope you mean some sort of dietary supplement type of herb or live in the netherlands or other enlightened country.

but for the sake of argument... i would say things that aren't superprocessed marlboro's stand a chance of being even less dangerous... with one HUGE caveat...

i expect a lot of growers of er, alternative inflamables, are dosing their plants with pesticides which could have some kind of effect.

@SS
ha! i am not surprised in the least. meth labs have all kinds of hideous solvents and what not wafting around usually. not to mention i would have to question the care a full time tweaker could give anything ;)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one would certainly question the husbandry skills of Meth cookers. and the chemicals would be fairly bad as well. I would say even the chemicals growers would use couldnt rival the chemicals that process cigarette tobacco. I have never noticed any ill effect from a bit of smoke in the air now and then.. I think if you ever recall watching a Mom or someone unload a can of Raid on a spider before, at least in my recollection, the spider never seemed to die from the Raid bath. so though Im sure it isnt Ideal Im sure its doin less harm to your arachnids than it is to you. :D

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i smoke alot, and i mean alot, like a chimney thats on fire in addition to the fire it is ment to ventilate, and so my question is would this be bad to my scorpions? i often smoke in the same room that i keep them in but so far they have not seemed to be adversely effected by it.

i keep all thier tanks well ventilated with very high humidity(usually around 60-80%) but sometimes when i hotbox thier space the room is full of so much smoke you can barely see. when this happens just to be safe i open my door to let some air in.

i mean they must survive wild fires in the wild right?
I have the answer to your problem!!!

Quit smoking! Its bad for you! Ha I know what you'll say and don't take offense. (But seriously it is bad for you) IMO I hate cig smoke and I hate ... uhhh... other smoke more. But my friend did get one of his tarantulas high once or drunk or something I really can't remember. I do however remember it flopping around and lunging around on the floor. (I was 13 at the time with no respect for the creatures). Later on after I started the hobby I kinda regret it and hope the Ts alright.

But yea, just quit and you wont have to worry about...Its like killing 16 Falcons with one frozen turkey 75mm shell.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Smoke 'em if you got 'em, and hang around for the next 20 years, or so, to let us know what's up.
As of now, I've seen no evidence that indirect smoke from cigs, herbal remedies, or even incense, will hurt your bugs. The fact that they don't actually inhale, probably makes the chance of injury even less.
I'd gladly do it, but I prefer to see smoking as an outdoor activity.
Happy experimenting.
Scott