Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Smithsonian Museum of Natural History Bug Zoo, Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Zoo Trips (Man Made Habitats)' started by satchellwk, Mar 11, 2012.

1. satchellwk

satchellwk Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Hello, This past week I went with my class on a trip to our nations's capitol, Washington D.C. Among the things we did, we got a chance to briefly visit the Smithsonian museums, and I headed straight for the Museum of Natural history, in particular, the bug zoo. This is not the first time I've been, however, they had greatly expanded their collection since the last time I visited. I decided to take some pics to share on here, and encourage anyone who ever happens to be in that area to visit it.
    These are only the specimens that decide to be photogenic, they had many more animals, they just didn't want to cooperate with my camera.
    Fist, a vinegaroon:
    [​IMG]

Then, they had a very nice setup with various darkling beetle species:
    [​IMG]

They had an aquatic setup with various diving beetles and water scorpions:
    [​IMG]

This was one monster of a wolf spider:
    [​IMG]

B. smithi
    [​IMG]

Everyone's favorite dinner-plate sized tarantula, good ole T. blondi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some assorted Phasmids:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some A. gigas:
    [​IMG]

A very impressive stag beetle:
    [​IMG]

And to top it off, some dead-leaf mantises:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, if you're ever near the D.C. area, the bug zoo is definitely somewhere to check out.

2. Ludedor24

Ludedor24 FangzTv Arachnosupporter

NJ
    That sounds awesome :D how long does it take to go through that area?

3. satchellwk

satchellwk Arachnoknight

Well, depends of the individual. There are about 20 enclosures, so if you really want to take your time, you could probably spend half an hour in that exhibit; however, I would suggest you spent more like 15 minutes there if you want to see the rest of the museum. It's probably the most amazing museum in the country, with stuff like dinosaur fossils, 2 preserved giant squids, a male/female pair of coelacanths, the hope diamond, mummies, a taxidermized thylacine, among many other breathtaking specimens.

4. J Morningstar

J Morningstar Arachnoprince Old Timer

Thats awesome, but most of those milli looked like giant chocolatde millies to me. I'd love to see that place.

5. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

When we were there last year, they still had the B. smithi designated as Euathlus smithi. Guess they finally got around to updating things... :) It is a nice exhibit.

6. arachnidsrva

arachnidsrva Arachnoknight

because i saw this post today, and it happens to be 9:06 am - i think we're going today. - thanks for the inspiration to get up and do something

7. TomM

TomM Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania Old Timer

PA
    I'm pretty sure their T. blondi is really a T. stirmi.

8. Zeezums

Zeezums Arachnosquire

Definitely a stirmi!!

9. psohn703

psohn703 Arachnosquire

Funny I see this post. Ive been think about taking my son here, im only 30 min drive away. I wanted to show him the bug section of the museum then stop by the national zoo and hit the invertebrate house. +1 on the stirmi.

10. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

You need to allow at least one day each for Museum of Nat Hist and the Nat'l Zoo. There's just too much to see!

11. psohn703

psohn703 Arachnosquire

Haha yea. I always skip everythin at museum except the bug, ocean, and that one section with the amphibians and reptile bones. Then at the zoo I hit the invertebrate house, reptile house, and amazonia. Lol one day I have to stay and use the full day to look at everything else in those places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.