Smithsonian musem in DC

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So i went to the Smithsonian on saturday and got to take a tour of the ento dept :p and after that me and my friends checked out the museum and found out they had an awesome butterfly house.. so here's some pics.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fantastic macros. I have always wanted to go to Washington D.C. to see the Smithsonian.
thanks.
yeah this was the first time that i've gone since i was a little kid. i forgot how cool/huge the place was

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How did the rest of the Orkin Insect Zoo look? Did you notice the pond insects exhibit?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How did the rest of the Orkin Insect Zoo look? Did you notice the pond insects exhibit?
the pond insect exibit was probably one of the coolest things in the whole place lol. the rest of the zoo was ok.. being in the hobby of keepign inverts i critique every enclosure they had lol. they had aussie stick insects, malaysian giant walkign sticks, dead leaf katydids, dead leaf mantids, tail-less whip scorps, giant whip scorp (M. giganteus), B. giganteus, Sc. heros, A. hentzi and one hugenormous P. regalis.

i have never seen a full grown regalis in eprson like that and i had no idea how big they could get. i can't wait till mine gets near that size :drool:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! I was contracted by the zoo one summer, and one of the things I did was rebuild the pond exhibit. Glad to hear it is looking good.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I went there when I visited my parents over Christmas. I found it odd that they hadn't updated some of their species names.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went there when I visited my parents over Christmas. I found it odd that they hadn't updated some of their species names.

lol i totally missed that sign. you would think they would have corrected something like that

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The time/bureaucracy that can go into making little changes like that is unbelievable.