Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Smithsonian musem in DC

Discussion in 'Zoo Trips (Man Made Habitats)' started by thedude, Feb 22, 2009.

1. thedude

thedude Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    So i went to the Smithsonian on saturday and got to take a tour of the ento dept :p and after that me and my friends checked out the museum and found out they had an awesome butterfly house.. so here's some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fantastic macros. I have always wanted to go to Washington D.C. to see the Smithsonian.

3. thedude

thanks.
    yeah this was the first time that i've gone since i was a little kid. i forgot how cool/huge the place was

4. lucanidae

lucanidae Arachnoprince Old Timer

NY
    How did the rest of the Orkin Insect Zoo look? Did you notice the pond insects exhibit?

5. thedude

the pond insect exibit was probably one of the coolest things in the whole place lol. the rest of the zoo was ok.. being in the hobby of keepign inverts i critique every enclosure they had lol. they had aussie stick insects, malaysian giant walkign sticks, dead leaf katydids, dead leaf mantids, tail-less whip scorps, giant whip scorp (M. giganteus), B. giganteus, Sc. heros, A. hentzi and one hugenormous P. regalis.

i have never seen a full grown regalis in eprson like that and i had no idea how big they could get. i can't wait till mine gets near that size :drool:

6. lucanidae

NY
    Awesome! I was contracted by the zoo one summer, and one of the things I did was rebuild the pond exhibit. Glad to hear it is looking good.

7. Noexcuse4you

Noexcuse4you Arachnodemon Old Timer

I went there when I visited my parents over Christmas. I found it odd that they hadn't updated some of their species names.

[​IMG]

8. thedude

lol i totally missed that sign. you would think they would have corrected something like that

9. lucanidae

NY
    The time/bureaucracy that can go into making little changes like that is unbelievable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.