Smithi!

Jovano

Arachnopeon
Hey

I just bought myself a brachypelma smithi and I have some questions. Tryed to search on the forum but I didnt get enlighted.

Anyways, as said Ive just bought myself one and there are a couple of things worrying me. First of all, yesterday I dropped down a cricket for her but she didnt do anything. I mean, the cricket bite(looked like it) her and she just moved her leg. The thing is, the zookeeper told me she wasnt fed for almost a week and said it was time. Shes about 2 years old and 2 1/2 inch big(If not bigger), with the legs etc. Could It be because shes new to her home? Maybe beeing cautious?

And I read that you shouldnt leave the cricket inside with ur Tarantula if it hasnt eatin it. Something about the cricket may munch on her? Should I take it out?

And Im using a lamp for the heat(designed for the enclosure). The zookeeper told me it was all fine but I read something about smithis not liking light?

EDIT: She usually hangs out in upper left corner close to the light, could it be that its not the right temprature inside?

Thanks

Last edited:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes remove the cricket if she doesn't eat it.

She might not be eating cause she's about to molt or maybe cause she's not used to her new environment. When was her last molt, do you know? Is her abdomen really black?

As for the heat lamp, not sure about advice on that, I'm new to the hobby. I know you definitely don't want to use heat pads though, and it's much better to heat the air than using a pad.

Also better for it to be too cold than too hot.

Jovano

Arachnopeon
Yes remove the cricket if she doesn't eat it.

She might not be eating cause she's about to molt or maybe cause she's not used to her new environment. When was her last molt, do you know? Is her abdomen really black?

As for the heat lamp, not sure about advice on that, I'm new to the hobby. I know you definitely don't want to use heat pads though, and it's much better to heat the air than using a pad.

Also better for it to be too cold than too hot.
DOnt really know about the molt. The abdomen is black

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It might be getting ready to molt, and if so probably won't eat until after it does.

You might raise the humidity a bit and then if it molts, don't feed it for like a week or so after.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
is the actual abdomen black or the hairs black.....if the "skin" of the abdomen is black, your tarantula is in pre-molt which explains its lack of appetite....

Like someone mentioned earlier, if it doesnt eat - remove the food

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First of all, yesterday I dropped down a cricket for her but she didnt do anything. I mean, the cricket bite(looked like it) her and she just moved her leg.
This can be for a number of reasons. She may not be settled into her new enclosure yet. She could be in premolt, or she could just not be in the mood for food.

The thing is, the zookeeper told me she wasnt fed for almost a week and said it was time.
The zookeeper may feel like it is time, but the tarantula may not.;) A tarantula will be just fine if it doesn't eat for a month or more, so it isn't something to be worried about.

Shes about 2 years old and 2 1/2 inch big(If not bigger), with the legs etc.
Had the zookeeper had her since she hatched? If not, the age is only a guesstimate. It really doesn't matter though, because if the tarantula is in fact a 'she' it can live 20+ years.

Could It be because shes new to her home? Maybe beeing cautious?
Yes and yes, it could be either, or neither. :)

And I read that you shouldnt leave the cricket inside with ur Tarantula if it hasnt eatin it. Something about the cricket may munch on her? Should I take it out?
Usually people say to remove prey if it remains uneaten overnight, because if the tarantula molts, crickets have been known to munch on the soft and vulnerable T(arantula). However, while I was typing this, I see you have posted that its abdomen is black. If it is indeed black and shiny, remove the cricket immediately, because a molt is imminent. By imminent I mean most likely within a week.

And Im using a lamp for the heat(designed for the enclosure). The zookeeper told me it was all fine but I read something about smithis not liking light?
Some Ts are photosensitive and some are not, if yours is hanging out under the light, then it appears it isn't. That doesn't mean it doesn't need a place to hide away from the light sometimes though, so there should be some sort of hide that remains dark/ shaded for it.

EDIT: She usually hangs out in upper left corner close to the light, could it be that its not the right temprature inside?
What is the normal temp for the room that it is in? The normal rule is: if you are comfortable, then the T is as well. However, this doesn't always hold true for Europe, so the zookeeper might know best with this question.

If it is hanging out up high, how high is the substrate in the enclosure? If the T were to fall it is possible for it to hurt itself severely, if the substrate is too far down. The rule of thumb for substrate height is that it should be about a legspan and a half from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. If you have access to a camera and can post a pic of the enclosure we can offer opinions on the set-up and help you out.:)

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum!:D

Jovano

Arachnopeon
As said before, the abdomen is black. But not all black, like alittle whitey to.

I removed the cricket. What do they eat? If I wanna keep it alive for later use {D{D

The enclosure is 30x30x30x(cm), almost 100% possitive. Cant measure it atm.

I will upload a picture on the her and the crib later :)

Thanks very much for the help. Feels odd saying that I was worried about a spider when Im arachnaphobic :worship:

Last edited:

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
imma just do this really fast...

remove the light it is not needed if it gos below 78 at night get a space heater at walmart about 20 bucks

its new to the cage give it some time to adjust

as for the prey item remove it if not eatin in 24 hours from the time you put it in

DO NOT listen to people who say " bald spot! molt incoming !" no. bald spot can be from hair kicking its when that bald spot turns jet black

also what do you have it in? what substrate are you using ? size? and if you got any yet pictures!!!!:D:D:D

good luck there great tarantulas

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
remove the light it is not needed if it gos below 78 at night get a space heater at walmart about 20 bucks
The OP is located in Sweden and the light might be needed in his weather/ heating conditions.

Also, below 78 is still warm enough that a space heater would not be required. We have kept our Ts in temps around 60 and even a little below that without any problems, or deaths. However space heaters can be dangerous and a fire hazard to leave on at all times, or even overnight.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
The OP is located in (1)Sweden and the light might be needed in his weather/ heating conditions.

(2)Also, below 78 is still warm enough that a space heater would not be required. We have kept our Ts in temps around 60 and even a little below that without any problems, or deaths. However space heaters can be dangerous and a fire hazard to leave on at all times, or even overnight.
(1) one thing i did not see but still the light is not needed i can see a space heater as a better option. do you own a heat lamp? i do 3 in fact for my reptiles they cover large areas i just don't see it workin in a tarantulas tank unless you have a spot for it to get away from the heat. to ME i see as too complicated and i like to keep it simple

(2) i know but 78 is my recommended temps, its what !I! recommend he can do what he wants and how is a fire hazard? mine has a timer and a thermostat that controls the temps so say it gos up to 80. it shuts down
IMO there is no hazard unless you have a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of it exploding i know tons of people including robc that use one

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(1) one thing i did not see but still the light is not needed i can see a space heater as a better option. do you own a heat lamp? i do 3 in fact for my reptiles they cover large areas i just don't see it workin in a tarantulas tank unless you have a spot for it to get away from the heat. to ME i see as too complicated and i like to keep it simple
Yes, I have owned one. The OP said that the T would go to the upper left side of the enclosure where the heat is, which to me means that it is more like a spotlight heat which I have also had. If the T has substrate to burrow in, then it can get away from the heat, though since it is choosing to be directly under the light, your worry doesn't seem to apply and your advice/ opinion seems hastily given without actually reading the thread. Like you even said "imma just do this really fast..." and that is how your post sounds.

(2) i know but 78 is my recommended temps, its what !I! recommend he can do what he wants and how is a fire hazard? mine has a timer and a thermostat that controls the temps so say it gos up to 80. it shuts down
IMO there is no hazard unless you have a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of it exploding i know tons of people including robc that use one
Well then, your temperature opinion has been presented as well as mine for the OP to decide what he wishes. You however, did not present it as your opinion, nor did you give any experience that it was based on. Since it is not even the 'normal' advice given(who keeps their house 78 degrees?), I chose to give my opinions based on experience, which also differs from the 'normal' advice.

Perhaps your space heater is the more deluxe version than the ones I have owned, which do not have a thermostat or a timer, but hey we bought the cheap ones and years ago. What did happen with ours though, was that the heater was left on in the garage to heat it up for guitar playing and forgotten for a night. When it was remembered in the morning the cord was found melted a bit and it had caught the square of carpet it was sitting on, on fire and turned it completely black. Luckily the carpet square was on a concrete slab, so the fire had nowhere to go, but this is why I say it can present a fire hazard.

Jovano

Arachnopeon
Btw, If you see the terrarium pic. Do I need to put in more soil? And If more pictures are needed I can fix it.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey again.

Ive watched alittle closer on the abdomen its not entirely black. More "white" than before, I think.
On the enclosure:

The bark chips need to go, because that could definitely be a reason that it is climbing. Change the substrate to peat, coco fiber, or plain potting soil(no fertilizers), or even a mixture of any of those and I bet it gets down. However, you do need to do it soon, because if it should fall onto that bark from that height, the outcome may not be good.(the pic of it up near the light scares me) Once you do change the substrate, you should fill the enclosure until there is only about a legspan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure; because even after you get the bark out, it can still be hurt/ die from a fall, especially with that plump abdomen!

On the eating:

That is a well fed T and it will not be hurting if it misses a meal or 10. ;) Once you get the substrate changed out and let it just settle in for a couple of weeks, then you can try feeding it again. If it doesn't eat then, give it another week or so and try again. Since the picture quality/ color is so off, I can't really tell if it premolt, but if under the 'hair' on its abdomen is not shiny and black a molt isn't coming next week.

Jovano

Arachnopeon
On the enclosure:

The bark chips need to go, because that could definitely be a reason that it is climbing. Change the substrate to peat, coco fiber, or plain potting soil(no fertilizers), or even a mixture of any of those and I bet it gets down. However, you do need to do it soon, because if it should fall onto that bark from that height, the outcome may not be good.(the pic of it up near the light scares me) Once you do change the substrate, you should fill the enclosure until there is only about a legspan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure; because even after you get the bark out, it can still be hurt/ die from a fall, especially with that plump abdomen!

On the eating:

That is a well fed T and it will not be hurting if it misses a meal or 10. ;) Once you get the substrate changed out and let it just settle in for a couple of weeks, then you can try feeding it again. If it doesn't eat then, give it another week or so and try again. Since the picture quality/ color is so off, I can't really tell if it premolt, but if under the 'hair' on its abdomen is not shiny and black a molt isn't coming next week.
Yeah I thought it was kinda high for it. And about the bark thing, she was transported that way. Im using some kinda soil I had to put in water. (watch the pic) :) So more soil? Judging from the picture

Ah okay, how long can it go without food before it dies?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I thought it was kinda high for it. And about the bark thing, she was transported that way. Im using some kinda soil I had to put in water. (watch the pic) :) So more soil? Judging from the picture
AHA! Didn't load all the way the first time! Yes, that is coco fiber and I am pretty sure you will not be able to get the amount of substrate in there, that I recommended; given the type of enclosure it is. I would fill it up to the bottom of those doors at least, but honestly that is not really a good enclosure for a terrestrial T. Was it recommended by the store that you bought the T from?

Ah okay, how long can it go without food before it dies?
Honestly, I don't know, but ours has gone for almost 3 months without eating. Its choice, not ours.;) I do know that Grammostola rosea, have been known to fast for 2+ years; different genus, but still a tarantula.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You should get a different cage for your T. I dont think anyone noticed that its a front loading exoterra. (you cant really fill it up enough with substrate. Your T should not have more than 4" height. B. smithi are terrible climbers because they are so bulky. You can use cocohusk or organic peat moss. Peat is cheaper.

Your T will not starve to death. It just doesnt happen. Some Ts have gone upto a year willingly refusing food! But it can die without water to drink. The advise given so far from curiousme has been the best. The light is not really needed but may irritate your T because its so bright and possibly warm/hot. I have a large light above my enclosure but its not nearly as bright or close to my Ts. And of course im slower than Curiousme. :rolleyes: :p

Jovano

Arachnopeon
AHA! Didn't load all the way the first time! Yes, that is coco fiber and I am pretty sure you will not be able to get the amount of substrate in there, that I recommended; given the type of enclosure it is. I would fill it up to the bottom of those doors at least, but honestly that is not really a good enclosure for a terrestrial T. Was it recommended by the store that you bought the T from?

Honestly, I don't know, but ours has gone for almost 3 months without eating. Its choice, not ours.;) I do know that Grammostola rosea, have been known to fast for 2+ years; different genus, but still a tarantula.

Now I've filled it up to the doors but it's still to high I think. And yes, he recommended it.
And all this spider does is to climb the damn walls. It even climbed up the roof and I was really scared it would fall. Gah, now Im worried oO.

Havnt seen it enter its coconut house yet -..-

Jovano

Arachnopeon
You should get a different cage for your T. I dont think anyone noticed that its a front loading exoterra. (you cant really fill it up enough with substrate. Your T should not have more than 4" height. B. smithi are terrible climbers because they are so bulky. You can use cocohusk or organic peat moss. Peat is cheaper.

Your T will not starve to death. It just doesnt happen. Some Ts have gone upto a year willingly refusing food! But it can die without water to drink. The advise given so far from curiousme has been the best. The light is not really needed but may irritate your T because its so bright and possibly warm/hot. I have a large light above my enclosure but its not nearly as bright or close to my Ts. And of course im slower than Curiousme. :rolleyes: :p

I can open the enclosure from the top to, but its alittle tricky. Thought that I could fill it above the doors to but on each side of the doors theres a little opening, where the soil would come out.

One more question. She hangs out by the lamp almost all the time. Does that indicate that its to cold in the terrarium? I mean, the household temprature is normal and Im not feeling cold at all. And the lamp is on 24/7

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I've filled it up to the doors but it's still to high I think. And yes, he recommended it.
My guess is that it was an expensive buy too. Those enclosures aren't cheap, but really a 5.5/ 10 gallon fish tank would have been better suited. I learned to never ask pet store employees anything, because 9 times out of 10 they will give me incorrect/ sometimes dangerous information. I have never actually seen one of these enclosures in person, but if it opens at the top as well, perhaps the front opening doors can be made to not open? Cracks can be sealed with clear packing tape if needed, maybe...... Don't know if it is an option to take the darn thing back and get something suitable, but that would be what I would want to do. An irritated/ angry call to the shop perhaps?

And all this spider does is to climb the damn walls. It even climbed up the roof and I was really scared it would fall. Gah, now Im worried oO.

Havnt seen it enter its coconut house yet -..-
I would be worried as well, but our B. smithi is my baby.:) In fact, I would try and find some sort of temporary enclosure that will be safe, until you are able to either make this enclosure safe, or get another one that will be. Don't know what kind of stores you have there, but clear plastic containers are fairly cheap here(Walmart/ Hobby Lobby) and suitable to house that size T in.(my opinion is for only temporary housing, but others keep them in small containers permanently)

It may never use the hide, but then again it may. Once it is in the finished enclosure and settled in, it may take up residence. It also may dig itself a burrow and make its own hide, which is what ours has done. Once again, it isn't anything to worry about. The climbing is, but not setting up shop in the hut isn't.:)