Smithi Male, Boehmei female *PIC*

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would first like to state that I Am Not Cross Breeding! I was looking at my tarantulas as i always do, and noticed the male B smithi I own druming! But to what? I dont own any smithi females large enough to breed. Well i looked over to his neighbor a adualt female B boehmei, and notices she was druming to! They could be a match made in heaven..... o well. Well none the less I just found it to be very interesting. What are you thoughts?

Sincerely,

Brandon

Here is a Pic

Attachments

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorta off topic but to me it looks like if your tarantulas climbed and fell it would be to far - this would kill a spider. I would suggest putting enough substrate in there so they can only fall a maximum of 2 times their own body length. My smithi sometimes thinks shes arboreal, so i gave her a cage only 1.5 times as tall as her and have had excellet results. Maybe throw in some hiding places too if you'd rather they dont burrow - thats what i do anyways.

Mark

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mark,
I thank you for your concern, the boehmei female has been in that cage for months with no problems, and she does have a hiding place see it in her cage on the far right!. As for the Male B smithi hes been in that cage for a day! I need to find him a new home. Thanks again

-Brandon-

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know about the match-up, but they are both beautiful T's.

Botar

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope I cant do it, its really not right, besides if she produced most babies would have to be destryoed so i cant be acountable for the lose of life just for the hell of breeding something.

Sincerely,

Brandon

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cross breed those Brachypelma. You would have a unique T, that wouldn't be able to reproduce, but still, very unique. I'd do it.

-Jeremy

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by dilleo
Cross breed those Brachypelma. You would have a unique T, that wouldn't be able to reproduce, but still, very unique. I'd do it.

-Jeremy
I do hope you will reconsider this advice, Jeremy. Hybridization is a topic on which most tarantula keepers have strong feelings, and for the most part they're strong negative feelings. Is it responsible behavior to breed what might be as many as a thousand spiderlings that can't in conscience be sold or given away, simply for the sake of having "a unique T?" Tarantula taxonomy is in a tangled enough state without the introduction of hybrids on the market, and even if Brandon were to label them openly as hybrids there is no guarantee that the buyers would be similarly conscientious when they subsequently sold or traded them.

Years ago I was sold a B. vagans x albopilosum hybrid under the name Brachypelma sp. "Honduran orange." Fortunately it turned out to be a female spider, but if it had been a male, I couldn't have in conscience bred him, and there's nothing unhappier than a male spider forced to live out his existence in celibate solitude.

There may be some justification for raising such spiders for research purposes under controlled conditions and with the understanding that all offspring will be either kept by the breeder and/or destroyed, but I do think that anyone who really values tarantulas and their own reputation as a breeder/hobbyist should think long and hard before committing to such an enterprise.

Joy

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree. Although I would like to see how the offspring would have turned out, I wouldn't cross those T's just for the heck of it. They are beautiful T's as they are, and I am jealous because I want that B. Boehmei, but I wouldn't cross the two at the potential cost of your smithi's life and that of the hybrid slings.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful T's Brandon.
I wish I had a mature female smithi for him. Sure hope you find one. What do you call him, Ringo? LOL

Ernie

JDS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just the other day I thought I saw my female smithi drumming to an immature male smithi in the aquarium next door. I have them as tight together as yours, and was surprised that they may have noticed each other. I just thought with how people pack their cages together there wasn't much chance they could sense of each other. Now the male had just been fed and was moving around his pedipalps a bit and they were facing each other. So maybe their eyesight is fairly good given the two layers of glass isn't that clear a view. Any thoughts on the need to block the view from cage to cage, especially different breeds?

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, if you don't think you can do anything useful with the babies then don't breed them.

-Jeremy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

-Jeremy
I'm more than positive that Brandon has enough integrity to this hobby to not even consider crossbreeding especially for the sole purpose of having a "unique" mutt tarantula. Joy explained it clearly. X-breeding can have a negative impact on the hobby. If the resulting specimens (if you even got babies) fall in the wrong dealer's hands could start a lot of confusion among hobbyists, breeders, taxonomists etc.

As far as you actually incouraging another hobbyist to do it, I feel that's pretty irresponsible (sorry...but the truth) and clearly shows that you are basically giving advice on a subject that you haven't researched very well. If you choose to do it, no one can stop you but at least then you would be the one responsible for the possible mess.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, if you don't think you can do anything useful with the babies then don't breed them.

-Jeremy

Oh, and there isn't anything useful that can be done with the s'lings. In my opinion, there's not really any study that I can imagine being useful.(not that studying them would even be YOUR purpose) The risks outweigh any possible "usefullness" there may possibly be.

What "useful" deed would YOU accomplish if YOU had a brood of x-bred s'lings?

Atrax

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To All,
I myself am very strongly against the cross breeding of any species of tarantula, or any animal for that matter. I absolutly refuse to be responsable for it! I thank all of you for your GREAT concern. I was mearly posting because I found it interesting that they were communicating,,, that is all!. Both the male and female pictured there have been breed to there PROPER speces. Boehmei, to Boehmei, smithi to smithi! As for those who have never read up about X-breeding I sugest that you do so! Once again thanks.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Last edited:

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both the male and female pictured there have been breed to there PROPER speces. Boehmei, to Boehmei, smithi to smithi!

Sincerely,

Brandon

So..does that mean things were successful with my male? Just curious. John

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
John,
Must have worded that wronge! Still havnt gotten your male from Darrin, shall i correct myself, Smithi to smithi, Boehmei to nothing. She will be breed hopefully by tomarrow. Sorry for this confusion.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Brandon
To All,
I myself am very strongly against the cross breeding of any species of tarantula, or any animal for that matter. I absolutly refuse to be responsable for it! I thank all of you for your GREAT concern. I was mearly posting because I found it interesting that they were communicating,,, that is all!. Both the male and female pictured there have been breed to there PROPER speces. Boehmei, to Boehmei, smithi to smithi! As for those who have never read up about X-breeding I sugest that you do so! Once again thanks.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Good man Brandon! :)

Atrax

Last edited:

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess there is good reason not to cross breed just for the sake of keeping them out of other hobbyist hands and so forth, but for research I think they could be very useful. The type of research would be limited by the spider itself being a hybrid but studies can be done and the usefullness is up to you.

And what do you say to those breeding spiders that could be different species? Like Selenocosmia hanaina and Haplopelma schmidti may just be two different color morphs, but how will we know if we do not breed them, cross breed them at that, and indeed see if the babies are able to reproduce?

I was in no way suggesting that these hybrids should be sold if you even got them, obviously I'm talking to the wrong crowd. If I understand correctly it's hard to get two different species to mate in the first place, when you said your male was tapping I saw an opportunity, not everyone is fit for this sort of thing.

-Jeremy