Smithi Climbing

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't figure out why my smithi is climbing. Nothing has changed in his habitat except that I overflowed her dish about 3 or 4 days prior. I fed him 2 days ago, he killed and ate it with no problem, and ever since he's been climbing the walls. Also, last night he was literally running laps around the walls of the tank. I'm so confused:8o

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He could be kinda irritated about the increased moisture in the cage....that's the only thing I can think of....

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He could be kinda irritated about the increased moisture in the cage....that's the only thing I can think of....
I thought that too for a while, but his reaction seems a little delayed from the time of the over fill. Also, she just molted into a juvie a couple weeks ago and before that I sprayed her cage once a week and it didn't bother her at all. (I stopped that now that I can put a water bowl in with her without worrying)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
too moist

Im guessing that its the wet substrate around the water dish, mine's enclosure I keep very dry with occasional misting, and only time she heads to climb the side of the enclosure, is when waiting for a cricket.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I forgot to mention that she always stays about an inch above the water dish..... This is why I'm confused about the humidity issue.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never met a B Smithi that liked water. Even overflowing the dish is not really needed. I do it sometimes but it is not something that is going to cause them to walk around "pacing" like that. Sometimes they just do that. So long as your temps are good and the substrate is dry and there is a hide I dont see them walking around being a problem. I mean they do have 8 legs they have to use them sometime. :}

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all of mine have been very active the past week. i think it could be ive had my windows open some and the changing seasons. the fresh air i think. even my h. gigas has been out through the day and that never happens. im sure they know its spring.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine (still a sling) likes to climb to the top of the jar and stick legs out playing footsie's with me sometimes lol. Had another that when it was large enough to move into a critter cage, it would do something similar....sticking legs out the side air slats as if it were trying to play like a cat does to swat things.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all of mine have been very active the past week. i think it could be ive had my windows open some and the changing seasons. the fresh air i think. even my h. gigas has been out through the day and that never happens. im sure they know its spring.
Yep lately my aureostriata has been out during the day time a lot and quite active the past few days. I also think it's in premolt. In the beginning my aureostriata climbed for no reason and came back down, they can just air themself out when they want I think and just come back down, that's what mine did out of random times even after it was settled. I just make sure the distance from the top and substrate isn't a lot as a means to minimize falling. :D