Smeringurus mesaensis: Anybody seen anything like this on one?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'm not sure what to make of this. I'd never dabbled in scorps prior to this one, so am unfamiliar with the possible issues concerning them. I had tossed him a cricket and when i checked on the situation, he had just finished immobilizing it. I had noticed a slight discolouration on his tail before, but after I took these most recent photos and had begun to process them, I noticed it being more pronounced.

At first i thought it was possibly the remnants of a moult, but then realized I've never seen any evidence of a moult since I got the scorp. Looking more closely, it almost seems like something ON the exo. I wondered if it could be some sort of fungal growth, but lack of experience makes that a guess.
The enclosure has never been damp since I got the scorpion, the only moisture he has been exposed to would be the ambient summer humidity, which can be pretty muggy. I checked and currently it is 72% in the room. That's based on a gauge that may not even be accurate, however. The sand is bone dry as ever, though.
I also wondered if it could just be excreta, i think the excrete from that area, don't they? of course that may not be a good thing either, but maybe slightly better than a fungal infection of some sort. Obviously, his tail is functional. Here are the pictures for anybody would like to give diagnosis a shot.
m_IMG_5764crop.jpg

m_IMG_5765crop.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I suppose that is a little less worrisome. I did notice that whatever it was, it sort of has the same colour as that of tarantula waste. As long as the dried stuff doesn't block the opening making further excretion difficult.
I should probably put a tiny roll of toilet paper in for the untidy critter. Because he sure isn't gonna let ME tend to it! ;)
Thanks for the opinion, you are likely on the money with it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it is waste it seems to be an awful large buildup.

It also appears to be quite large. If it is molting soon that would also help.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, it does seem like a lot. I've had it a year and s few months, and it has never moulted. It is rather plump, I agree. I think trying to remove it would result in injury to at least one of the parties involved. I'll probably just let things take their course for a while.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It shouldn't do much harm, apart from a rather ugly appearance. It might eventually end up crumbling away over time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Also @Tim Benzedrine good to see you outside of the Waterhole lol.

On topic: I would monitor your specimen. I personally feel like that is a bit much build up and you are right to be concerned about it in my opinion. See if it spreads or anything like that.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, it does seem like a lot. I've had it a year and s few months, and it has never moulted. It is rather plump, I agree. I think trying to remove it would result in injury to at least one of the parties involved. I'll probably just let things take their course for a while.
There is an easy way to subdue it so nobody gets hurt.

Drown it.

No, seriously, put it in water til it becomes motionless and docile. Usually 30 minutes to an hour (specific time? haven't had to do it in forever).

The only problem with that is your specimen is a desert species and susceptible to mycosis. I don't think one dunk would set that in motion but I could be wrong.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Actually, I have considered a strategically placed drop of water from an eye-dropper, but didn't know if that would be wise.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
It's poop.
There is an easy way to subdue it so nobody gets hurt.

Drown it.

No, seriously, put it in water til it becomes motionless and docile. Usually 30 minutes to an hour (specific time? haven't had to do it in forever).

The only problem with that is your specimen is a desert species and susceptible to mycosis. I don't think one dunk would set that in motion but I could be wrong.
mycosis isn't caused by humidity or water, but it is exacerbated by it. mycosis is an infection, spores must be ingested or a wound must be exposed to the fungus to cause it.