Smart cricket?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a cricket in my a. genic tank waiting to be consumed. When i look in the tank im like damn, the cricket drowned cause he was floating upside down in the water. Then i go to nudge him out so he jumps out and im like what the hell. He jumps right back in on his back and treats the water dish like his own swimming pool:?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a cricket in my a. genic tank waiting to be consumed. When i look in the tank im like damn, the cricket drowned cause he was floating upside down in the water. Then i go to nudge him out so he jumps out and im like what the hell. He jumps right back in on his back and treats the water dish like his own swimming pool:?
crickets dont require alot of air. ive heard of crix surviving in water for upwards of 20 minutes.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep! Hes munchin' on one of the cricks right now... This might sound kind of a dumb question but do they just suck out the internals of there prey with there fangs or actually chew on them? Cuz that cricket is gettin smaller and smaller...

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep! Hes munchin' on one of the cricks right now... This might sound kind of a dumb question but do they just suck out the internals of there prey with there fangs or actually chew on them? Cuz that cricket is gettin smaller and smaller...
Internals, a shell is pretty much what's left, make sure there isn't any exposed parts of the cricket left i.e. uneaten parts if anything is left, the genic is the buffet king! {D

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Buffet king? Ive heard that a lot. But hes taken like 5 hours to eat one crick... hes still on it. Maybe hes still adjusting. Hes 3 inches now, how long before i can feed him small mice?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how long before i can feed him small mice?
Oh boy, here we go. You know this isn't really a good idea, right? Besides the danger of injury/death to the spider, it's also going to stink very badly and soak into the substrate during the hours or day the spider spends eating. If you don't clean that up, it will continue to stink and attract mites and flies and mold and all sorts of fun.

Seriously, if you haven't smelled mouse carcass before, especially one that's been dead a while, you aren't ready for it yet. It lingers.

So not worth it. I own a python, I *have* to smell dead mice. You have a choice, my friend. ;)

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL I have crickets do that all the time.

anderstd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mice are just messy. Roaches seem to be a better alternative in my humble opinion.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh boy, here we go. You know this isn't really a good idea, right? Besides the danger of injury/death to the spider, it's also going to stink very badly and soak into the substrate during the hours or day the spider spends eating. If you don't clean that up, it will continue to stink and attract mites and flies and mold and all sorts of fun.

Seriously, if you haven't smelled mouse carcass before, especially one that's been dead a while, you aren't ready for it yet. It lingers.

So not worth it. I own a python, I *have* to smell dead mice. You have a choice, my friend. ;)
Don't feed the mouse live, get a pinkie that's prefrozen and soak it in a hot cup of water till it's defrosted (only a few minutes if your water is hot enough) then use some tonges to simulate some movement. If the T doesn't take it out the tonges after so long toss the pinkie.

I also own a python and a cornsnake so my freezer is loaded with dead mice and rats and such, and I don't think they stink that bad. If you leave them sitting around all day then sure it'll stink, it's a dead animal. Ever sniffed a tank with a 1000 crickets that hasn't been cleaned in a few days? Now that's a bad smell.

Ephebopus.M

Arachnopeon
mice do smell bad but worse are 100 crickets in a 10 gallon that has been there for a week.. thats some disgusting stuff so i learned not to do that again lol...