Smallest P. Regalis Enclosure possible

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
I recently picked up a new p. regalis and it came in a 10in x L 8in x H 6in x W tank i was wondering if this was to small to house in? if it is i can house it in my 12 x 12 x 12 ZooMed terrarium.

cold blood

Staff member
Ya know the size of the t is a critical piece of information...without that, the question is unanswerable.

As a general rule, more room is better than less with fast arboreals.

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
Ya know the size of the t is a critical piece of information...without that, the question is unanswerable.

As a general rule, more room is better than less with fast arboreals.
Sorry i forgot that crucial piece of information but she looks to be about 5-6 inches

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The smaller the cage, the harder it is to work in, as the spider is right there, and can race out without warning. What's your experience with old world tarantulas?

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
The smaller the cage, the harder it is to work in, as the spider is right there, and can race out without warning. What's your experience with old world tarantulas?
Alright I know I'm gonna get judged and a lot of hate but it is my first T. I've done tons of research and understand the risks. I'm here to get advice so I can better care for my T and not be judged. if you could please help I'd really appreciate it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've done tons of research
I love to point out the obvious, but how come your "tons of research" didn't uncover the "secrets" for the proper container size for owning a fast, OW Asian arboreal BEFORE you bought it???

Perhaps your "tons" of research was really just ounces of research?

Out of sheer curiosity, why would you want to put such an animal with that type of venom in the smallest container possible?

Based on your question, I don't think you have thought this through enough, good luck because you and your T will need it.

@Toxoderidae maybe you can help this poor soul out.

Last edited:

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
You should send us a picture of its current set up/enclosure.
So here is the current set up that i got her in two days ago. the people at the reptile store told me it was fine to house her in here but i had a feeling it was to small.
IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4674.JPG

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
I love to point out the obvious, but how come your "tons of research" didn't uncover the "secrets" for the proper container size for owning a fast, OW Asian arboreal BEFORE you bought it???

Perhaps your "tons" of research was really just ounces of research?

Out of sheer curiosity, why would you want to put such an animal with that type of venom in the smallest container possible?

Based on your question, I don't think you have thought this through enough, good luck because you and your T will need it.

@Toxoderidae maybe you can help this poor soul out.
It was a pretty simple question -- nothing to get offended over. The set up in the images I posted were what I had purchased her in, which led me to believe that the size of her enclosure was okay. On top of that, I was told by what seemed to be pretty knowledgeable staff that her enclosure was good for her. I knew once I purchased her that I wanted to move her into a nicer sized home, but before I tried to re-home her, I first wanted to get some insight from some of you.

Before you make your harsh criticisms (which were completely and utterly unhelpful, so thanks for wasting your time and mine), learn the full story.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So here is the current set up that i got her in two days ago. the people at the reptile store told me it was fine to house her in here but i had a feeling it was to small.
View attachment 216637 View attachment 216638

It's unfortunate you bought this tarantula as your first, and even more unfortunate the owners lied to you at worst, misinformed you at best, in selling this animal to you.

If you keep this T in that ridiculous tank you will end up getting bitten at the worst, or having an escape at the best.

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
It's unfortunate you bought this tarantula as your first, and even more unfortunate the owners lied to you at worst, misinformed you at best, in selling this animal to you.

If you keep this T in that ridiculous tank you will end up getting bitten at the worst, or having an escape at the best.
check the next post. is that better???

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was a pretty simple question -- nothing to get offended over.
I wasn't offended hahaha. I was amazed that for someone who claimed to have done tons of research, you don't know one of the most basic aspects of your new pet's husbandry. It's surprising to me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I was you, I would look at the variety of containers that people keep this genus in (check out the genus forum as a start here), ask others for pics too for idea, for better cage decoration ideas.

Honestly, I would provide it a cork bark tube sunk into the substrate as opposed to a cork bark slab leaning against the container. Provide it enough space so it can form a back entrance/burrow out of the tube. Pokies like to feel secure, and a smaller diameter cork bark tube as opposed to a larger cork bark tube would be good. They fit into surprisingly small spaces.

Also, in picking out the proper size, don't pick a container that is the proper size for it now, pick out a container that is the proper size for it in the future relatively speaking. Considering you are brand new to tarantulas, YOU especially don't want to be rehousing an OW T regularly, a member of the genus whose bites have sent full sized men to the hospital.

It's a beautiful T.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I don't own a poecilotheria so I'm not 100% sure I'm giving the best advice, but yes, I'd put her in the larger enclosure. That enclosure looks fine in terms of size, but there are some things I'd change. 1 replace the metal screen with plexiglas/acrylic, and drill holes in that. T's can get their tarsal claws/legs stuck on the screen which can leed to a lost leg or can be a fatal injury. 2 take those pebbles out of the water dish, they're not needed. 3 the humidity gauge and thermometer are not needed. The specific humidity that's recommended in care sheets makes enclosures stuffy and can easily kill a T. Please don't listen to care sheets. If you get another tarantula go with a new world terrestrial :)

EDIT:
A lot of people use plastic sterilite or any storage container to house their poecilotherias. A big tall storage box works fine, but it's up to you if you want something cheap but not as see through, or a nice glass enclosure that's expensive but looks nice. I personally always choose the cheap way because to me it's the tarantula that holds the beauty, not the enclosure that it's in. (Of course I still have fun making nice enclosures for my T's haha) Anyways, eventually you'll have to rehouse that T into something bigger so keep a look out for enclosures that you like in terms of size and price. Tom Moran has a great YouTube channel and he keeps his poecilotherias in sterilite bins, maybe you could watch some of those videos and see how the pros keep their pokies! Good luck!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't own a poecilotheria so I'm not 100% sure I'm giving the best advice, but yes, I'd put her in the larger enclosure. That enclosure looks fine in terms of size, but there are some things I'd change. 1 replace the metal screen with plexiglas/acrylic, and drill holes in that. T's can get their tarsal claws/legs stuck on the screen which can leed to a lost leg or can be a fatal injury. 2 take those pebbles out of the water dish, they're not needed. 3 the humidity gauge and thermometer are not needed. The specific humidity that's recommended in care sheets makes enclosures stuffy and can easily kill a T. Please don't listen to care sheets. If you get another tarantula go with a new world terrestrial :)
How much "fun" would it be having to rescue a Pokie caught in screen!