Smallest P. Regalis Enclosure possible

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I was gonna peel the heat mat off as it was originally gonna be for my Damon Diadema I might keep it on just in case it gets cold in the winter and have it on when I'm around.
it can burn your spider as they love heat so much. dont use it at all. i highly recommend a space heater for any needed heating.

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
Yes. Get rid of that water bowl. It's a hazard when tarantulas fall off the cage sides. Even arboreals can fall, especially when they're diving on prey or their scopula are worn prior to molting. Their soft abdomens easily split open and those injuries are fatal. Not worth it for an artsy fartsy bowl. Water bowls should always be away from the sides in tall cages.

Water bowls are also regular receptors for boluses and feces, arboreals like to spray theirs all over the cage. Permanent water bowls require regular scrubbing to prevent build up of bacteria, mold, odors, etc. Much more sanitary to use disposable plastic bowls. I use soufflé cups, bought by the sleeve from restaurant supply stores; 3.25 oz for adults and 1 oz for juveniles.
Okay i will get the souffle cups later this week. Do you put them on on top of the substrate or push the cup into the substrate?

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
Catch cup, catch cup, catch cup! I can't stress the catch cup enough. I've had to handle a full grown lady obt because I skipped the catch cup for bolus removal. I would not want to experience handling my MF P. Regalis because I skipped the catch cup (even though she retreats to her cork bark slab and plants 99.9% of the time, catch cup).

Here's another example of a P. regalis enclosure. It's a 12"L x 12"W x 18"H Zoo Med. Screen top has never been an issue. Mine needs a changing to acrylic even though I haven't had any problems I might in the future and I don't want to have to help a big P. regalis leg free of a screen. That's just asking to get my first envenomation.

To keep the humidity up I have to put a piece of glass that covers about 70% of the screen and always have the water dish filled and occasionally over filled to moisten a corner of the substrate.
View attachment 216655

By the way, welcome to the forums and do you have any experience with any extremely fast venomous animals?

Catch cup!
here is my catch cup, brush, and forceps. @Trenor

and the last picture is of my plexiglass cover.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Better, much better. Ditch the safety gear, those are 1 inch fangs. They will go through the thickest clothing you have that wont damage their fangs badly.
That's not even the biggest problem with thick gloves, the biggest issue is that they will severely hamper your dexterity, making your movements clumbsier and more likely to cause an issue where there otherwise wouldn't be one...ditch those gloves.

Any other recommendations? you seem to know a lot about pokies since @viper69 summoned you.
Don't be in a rush, do things slowly and methodically. Many people get into trouble when they try to rush things like a re-house...sometimes its best to take your time and just wait a bit...patience always pays off in this hobby.

Right, I not saying I wear my sun dress when rehousing but most clothing is fine for the task.
Do you have any pics of you wearing that sun dress my friend? I find the thought just hilarious, especially with that deep southern drawl you have:):rofl:

Okay i will get the souffle cups later this week. Do you put them on on top of the substrate or push the cup into the substrate?
Bury them into the sub just enough to make them stable, you don't want the spider going for a drink and tipping it right over...just make it stable.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just have to say that I love when people listen and you're doing awesome!

So here's the problem with heat mats/lamps for Ts:
A. Tarantulas love heat
B. Heat evaporates liquid
C. Tarantulas use liquid to move with hydraulics.
D. Without liquid Tarantulas can't move
E. Tarantulas die by cooking alive

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
I will never do this thanks. By that logic you'd be better off doing cage maintenance in the nude since they can go up shorts too. No one wants that not you, anyone else in the house, or the tarantula.

I just wear my regular clothing no matter what tarantula I am working with. If you get Ts in your clothes on a regular basis then something other then clothes is really wrong. If your just worried about it put some rubber bands on the sleeves and pants legs and tuck in that shirt.

As @shining said I can't stress a large catch cup enough and tongs/paintbrush with 6-10 inch handles. Always know where your T is before opening or working with the enclosure. If it's not in a good place come back later when it is and do what you need to do. Once it sets up a home it will usually go there if disturbed which helps a lot.

Good luck.
She started to make her home i woke up to this.
IMG_4682.JPG
IMG_4683.JPG

Attachments

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Looks like she wants some privacy! Maybe she's even getting ready to molt soon

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
I just have to say that I love when people listen and you're doing awesome!

So here's the problem with heat mats/lamps for Ts:
A. Tarantulas love heat
B. Heat evaporates liquid
C. Tarantulas use liquid to move with hydraulics.
D. Without liquid Tarantulas can't move
E. Tarantulas die by cooking alive
okay thank you the heat pad is now in the trash! :D @Venom1080

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Do you have any pics of you wearing that sun dress my friend? I find the thought just hilarious, especially with that deep southern drawl you have:):rofl:
The mental image was to emphasize my point more so then to indicate a fashion preference. :p
I'm not saying I could pull it off (I totally could though) but if I were to make such an attempt there would be a matching bonnet involved with a good pair of sandals. Yes, my accent would fit in nicely. :wacky:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yea its like she put a curtain up haha. That would be so cool if she molted!
Two of mine did this when I got them and the other never did.

This is a photo from a few days ago and is the first time I have seen all of this T in months.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
The mental image was to emphasize my point more so then to indicate a fashion preference. :p
I'm not saying I could pull it off (I totally could though) but if I were to make such an attempt there would be a matching bonnet involved with a good pair of sandals. Yes, my accent would fit in nicely. :wacky:
I don't know what a lollipop rating is actually for but I just thing you deserve one for this!!!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Just treat your regalis like you would treat any tarantula - always be alert for bites and remove any fear you have. Fear may cause you to choke and do things slower than you should, which will aggravate your tarantula. Good luck.