Smallest P. Regalis Enclosure possible

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Okay.. Will I blow a gasket responding to this? Here we'll see. Also, thanks @viper69 for summoning me.

How big exactly is that regalis? It looks like a MF to me.
This is how I keep ALL my large pokies. This gives me room for all species except ornata, which get even more space.
boi.jpg
My setups are from Jamie, and yes, they are expensive, although a very similar setup using sterilite or a modified aquarium will do exactly as mine does. I just like having it pretty, and allows me to view the spider, even when she is in her hide. Now, I know you asked "don't be harsh, I came for help" But lets be honest. This isn't tumblr, this isn't a "safe space" You asked for help, you're going to get it.

You want the exact OPPOSITE of what you asked for. House her in the largest size enclosure you can get her where she can get food and such. regalis is a larger, more "in your face" species of Poecilotheria.
May I ask why you got this as your first spider? Based on your "tons of research" You should've known what you were getting, and should have cancelled. I almost got an S. calceatum since it was a killer deal, 70 dollars for a mature female. I didn't, because they are brutal, even compared to my pokies. If you want, I can post multiple pictures of my pokie enclosures. They all keep the same design, but vary slightly from each spider. Do not EVER, under any circumstance hold this spider. Regalis are a great species, but (generally, remember it's always generally,) are going to be much more in the "fight mode" than per say; a subfusca or metallica. Mine doesn't threat posture, but she has attacked me in mistaking for food. I use 12+ inch rubber dipped tongs for that exact reason. Do not use mesh, they can chew through it, and get their tarsal claws stuck in (though it is far less likely compared to a terrestrial) Keep the substrate slightly moist, I let it dry out every now and then, but I always overfill the waterdish. Make sure it has a lot of vertical space. Horizontal space doesn't matter much with this species.

I hope to The Queen that you understand what you're doing, and that you don't do something stupid.

cold blood

Staff member
Leaned slabs are all I use, they work just fine. I do suggest surrounding them with plants to make it more inviting. You want them to have a hide or home base they can bolt to, without this aspect, you're going to have a skittish, unbelievable fast spider that is far less predictable and more difficult to work around.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
why do so many new owners do all this supposed research and still buy Poecilotheria as their first spider. pretty silly honestly.

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
Okay.. Will I blow a gasket responding to this? Here we'll see. Also, thanks @viper69 for summoning me.

How big exactly is that regalis? It looks like a MF to me.
This is how I keep ALL my large pokies. This gives me room for all species except ornata, which get even more space.
View attachment 216644
My setups are from Jamie, and yes, they are expensive, although a very similar setup using sterilite or a modified aquarium will do exactly as mine does. I just like having it pretty, and allows me to view the spider, even when she is in her hide. Now, I know you asked "don't be harsh, I came for help" But lets be honest. This isn't tumblr, this isn't a "safe space" You asked for help, you're going to get it.

You want the exact OPPOSITE of what you asked for. House her in the largest size enclosure you can get her where she can get food and such. regalis is a larger, more "in your face" species of Poecilotheria.
May I ask why you got this as your first spider? Based on your "tons of research" You should've known what you were getting, and should have cancelled. I almost got an S. calceatum since it was a killer deal, 70 dollars for a mature female. I didn't, because they are brutal, even compared to my pokies. If you want, I can post multiple pictures of my pokie enclosures. They all keep the same design, but vary slightly from each spider. Do not EVER, under any circumstance hold this spider. Regalis are a great species, but (generally, remember it's always generally,) are going to be much more in the "fight mode" than per say; a subfusca or metallica. Mine doesn't threat posture, but she has attacked me in mistaking for food. I use 12+ inch rubber dipped tongs for that exact reason. Do not use mesh, they can chew through it, and get their tarsal claws stuck in (though it is far less likely compared to a terrestrial) Keep the substrate slightly moist, I let it dry out every now and then, but I always overfill the waterdish. Make sure it has a lot of vertical space. Horizontal space doesn't matter much with this species.

I hope to The Queen that you understand what you're doing, and that you don't do something stupid.
She is a mature female and i just rehoused her into the bigger cage it was a lot easier then i expected. she was calm the whole time and didn't "teleport" i had on a whole suit of armor from a pair of gardening gloves to my thickest coat haha can't be to careful! i will plan on getting that cage you have from jaime tarantulas when i can i do truly want to give this tarantula "kaleesi" the best possible life.

Attachments

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
She is a mature female and i just rehoused her into the bigger cage it was a lot easier then i expected. she was calm the whole time and didn't "teleport" i had on a whole suit of armor from a pair of gardening gloves to my thickest coat haha can't be to careful! i will plan on getting that cage you have from jaime tarantulas when i can i do truly want to give this tarantula "kaleesi" the best possible life.
Better, much better. Ditch the safety gear, those are 1 inch fangs. They will go through the thickest clothing you have that wont damage their fangs badly.

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
Leaned slabs are all I use, they work just fine. I do suggest surrounding them with plants to make it more inviting. You want them to have a hide or home base they can bolt to, without this aspect, you're going to have a skittish, unbelievable fast spider that is far less predictable and more difficult to work around.
more then this?

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i actually recommend doing rehouses with only shorts on. they'll bite through any clothing you put on and its best to be as mobile as possible. biggest reason is that the spider can run up your sleeves and get under your clothing, try getting that out without getting bit! i do this for OW arboreals only. Terrestrials are far far less likely to do that, and NW arboreal bites arent a huge issue to me.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nothing. Just don't get tagged.
Catch cup, catch cup, catch cup! I can't stress the catch cup enough. I've had to handle a full grown lady obt because I skipped the catch cup for bolus removal. I would not want to experience handling my MF P. Regalis because I skipped the catch cup (even though she retreats to her cork bark slab and plants 99.9% of the time, catch cup).

Here's another example of a P. regalis enclosure. It's a 12"L x 12"W x 18"H Zoo Med. Screen top has never been an issue. Mine needs a changing to acrylic even though I haven't had any problems I might in the future and I don't want to have to help a big P. regalis leg free of a screen. That's just asking to get my first envenomation.

To keep the humidity up I have to put a piece of glass that covers about 70% of the screen and always have the water dish filled and occasionally over filled to moisten a corner of the substrate.
20160629_222735.jpg

By the way, welcome to the forums and do you have any experience with any extremely fast venomous animals?

Catch cup!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
i actually recommend doing rehouses with only shorts on.
I will never do this thanks. By that logic you'd be better off doing cage maintenance in the nude since they can go up shorts too. No one wants that not you, anyone else in the house, or the tarantula.

I just wear my regular clothing no matter what tarantula I am working with. If you get Ts in your clothes on a regular basis then something other then clothes is really wrong. If your just worried about it put some rubber bands on the sleeves and pants legs and tuck in that shirt.

As @shining said I can't stress a large catch cup enough and tongs/paintbrush with 6-10 inch handles. Always know where your T is before opening or working with the enclosure. If it's not in a good place come back later when it is and do what you need to do. Once it sets up a home it will usually go there if disturbed which helps a lot.

Good luck.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I will never do this thanks. By that logic you'd be better off doing cage maintenance in the nude since they can go up shorts too. No one wants that not you, anyone else in the house, or the tarantula.

I just wear my regular clothing no matter what tarantula I am working with. If you get Ts in your clothes on a regular basis then something other then clothes is really wrong. If your just worried about it put some rubber bands on the sleeves and pants legs and tuck in that shirt.

As @shining said I can't stress a large catch cup enough and tongs/paintbrush with 6-10 inch handles. Always know where your T is before opening or working with the enclosure. If it's not in a good place come back later when it is and do what you need to do. Once it sets up a home it will usually go there if disturbed which helps a lot.

Good luck.
I always do my rehousing in the nude! It lets my body relax and exfoliate as I work!
(Just kidding)

I do try to wear tight fitting, or minimal clothing whilst rehousing though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I always do my rehousing in the nude! It lets my body relax and exfoliate as I work!
(Just kidding)

I do try to wear tight fitting, or minimal clothing whilst rehousing though.
Right, I not saying I wear my sun dress when rehousing but most clothing is fine for the task.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Any other recommendations? you seem to know a lot about pokies since @viper69 summoned you.

Yes. Get rid of that water bowl. It's a hazard when tarantulas fall off the cage sides. Even arboreals can fall, especially when they're diving on prey or their scopula are worn prior to molting. Their soft abdomens easily split open and those injuries are fatal. Not worth it for an artsy fartsy bowl. Water bowls should always be away from the sides in tall cages.

Water bowls are also regular receptors for boluses and feces, arboreals like to spray theirs all over the cage. Permanent water bowls require regular scrubbing to prevent build up of bacteria, mold, odors, etc. Much more sanitary to use disposable plastic bowls. I use soufflé cups, bought by the sleeve from restaurant supply stores; 3.25 oz for adults and 1 oz for juveniles.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id rather have a pokie on my bare back than trapped under my shirt.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any other recommendations? you seem to know a lot about pokies since @viper69 summoned you.
It looks like you have a hygrometer/thermometer on the side of your enclosure. Be very weary of its values. I'd even go so far as to just throw it away. The only good that can come from that is the thermometer... maybe not even then.

I saw a heat mat in the original enclosure, Ihope you didn't use it for this new one.

Don't mist the cage, use a syringe to put water in the substrate.

These tarantulas don't just run to their homes like you would expect; they will dash, spin, dash a different way, freeze, dash again. Be very careful and never assume they will go in a straight line!

tonyiscool65

Arachnopeon
It looks like you have a hygrometer/thermometer on the side of your enclosure. Be very weary of its values. I'd even go so far as to just throw it away. The only good that can come from that is the thermometer... maybe not even then.

I saw a heat mat in the original enclosure, Ihope you didn't use it for this new one.

Don't mist the cage, use a syringe to put water in the substrate.

These tarantulas don't just run to their homes like you would expect; they will dash, spin, dash a different way, freeze, dash again. Be very careful and never assume they will go in a straight line!
I was gonna peel the heat mat off as it was originally gonna be for my Damon Diadema I might keep it on just in case it gets cold in the winter and have it on when I'm around. also i tossed the thermometer.

Last edited: