Smallest hole size?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
so what size hole should I drill for the smallest slings so they wont fit through it? I usually just make pin holes but now I have a fun size Dremel drill bit set which id like to use so... we have

1/32"
3/64"
1/16"
5/64"

(This is for a universal grab'n go drill bit for any and all slings under .5" so don't worry about how many holes needed because I'll simply figure out how many when needed.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
so what size hole should I drill for the smallest slings so they wont fit through it? I usually just make pin holes but now I have a fun size Dremel drill bit set which id like to use so... we have

1/32"
3/64"
1/16"
5/64"

(This is for a universal grab'n go drill bit for any and all slings under .5" so don't worry about how many holes needed because I'll simply figure out how many when needed.)
As has been said, just about any would do. A little tip on these, so you don't make the same mistakes I did...

-Higher RPM is better. Use the highest RPM that the bits are rated for, but don't exceed that for safety's sake. Even "low" RPM on a Dremel (5k) won't actually drill plastic but rather melt it. However, if it's spinning too slowly the melted plastic will harden around the bit. This will then force the bit to a stop and possibly snap it. At best you've ruined a hole, at worst you've ruined a bit. A higher RPM will not allow the plastic to harden.

-You better brace your hand. Whatever angle you enter with has to stay the same no matter what, otherwise the bit will snap. These are very fragile, as you can see.

-Don't try to use the bits as a router. Just... don't.

-Just use a proper damn drill with a small bit set and save yourself the headache :shifty:

I still use the tiny drill bits to cut through metal when I need to, but they just don't work very well for plastic. Oddly enough.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Just drill so carapage cant fit through.
That's actually my question, I dont currently have a t that small but what is the smallest carapace out there so I can safely drill a sizeable hole so no species will fit through.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
As has been said, just about any would do. A little tip on these, so you don't make the same mistakes I did...

-Higher RPM is better. Use the highest RPM that the bits are rated for, but don't exceed that for safety's sake. Even "low" RPM on a Dremel (5k) won't actually drill plastic but rather melt it. However, if it's spinning too slowly the melted plastic will harden around the bit. This will then force the bit to a stop and possibly snap it. At best you've ruined a hole, at worst you've ruined a bit. A higher RPM will not allow the plastic to harden.

-You better brace your hand. Whatever angle you enter with has to stay the same no matter what, otherwise the bit will snap. These are very fragile, as you can see.

-Don't try to use the bits as a router. Just... don't.

-Just use a proper damn drill with a small bit set and save yourself the headache :shifty:

I still use the tiny drill bits to cut through metal when I need to, but they just don't work very well for plastic. Oddly enough.
Ive been using drills for many years so I can imagine how fragile these little 1/32" are and I understand how many types of plastics can simply crack, chip, melt or even shatter; my question is whats the smallest hole you've ever had to drill for the smallest sling.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ive been using drills for many years so I can imagine how fragile these little 1/32" are and I understand how many types of plastics can simply crack, chip, melt or even shatter; my question is whats the smallest hole you've ever had to drill for the smallest sling.
Ah, sorry. The smallest sling I've kept is a C. agentinense sling, and a 1/16" bit was plenty small to keep it contained.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
for really tiny slings, i usually house them in the vial i get them in, theres already a small hole for vent and i dont bother adding more.