Smaller vs. larger enclosures for slings/juvies

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm wondering why it wouldn't be beneficial for the tarantula to be placed in an ideally sized enclosure for an adult specimen when the specimen is still a spiderling or juvenile. In my mind I see far less stress for the spider having them grow up in the enclosure they would eventually be moved to after a few molts once they outgrow their smaller enclosure. The whole concept of possibly having to dig a tarantula out of their burrow and essentially turning their whole world upside down when rehousing seems unnecessarily stressful. So is it really a cardinal sin to raise a 2-2.5 inch juvie in the 10 gallon tank they'd eventually be moved to anyway?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you searched for this already? I ask because this has been covered time and time again. ;)

The short answer is you make things more difficult for the spider to find the prey item, your water dish would be too large (assuming you're setting everything up for an adult specimen), and the distance between the substrate and the top of the enclosure would be too great.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
With a couple of exceptions all of my slings are housed in containers most would consider to be unnecessarily large.I personally did this so I will only really need to move them once.None of my spiders seem to be stressed out by the space i just make sure they receive food and they all seem well adjusted.I guess it really comes down to personal preference.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you searched for this already? I ask because this has been covered time and time again. ;)

The short answer is you make things more difficult for the spider to find the prey item, your water dish would be too large (assuming you're setting everything up for an adult specimen), and the distance between the substrate and the top of the enclosure would be too great.
For some reason, the skills needed to successfully navigate the search function still elude me. I'll attribute it to being new and keep practicing, and maybe one day I'll finally be able to locate exactly what it is I'm searching for.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I'm wondering why it wouldn't be beneficial for the tarantula to be placed in an ideally sized enclosure for an adult specimen when the specimen is still a spiderling or juvenile. In my mind I see far less stress for the spider having them grow up in the enclosure they would eventually be moved to after a few molts once they outgrow their smaller enclosure. The whole concept of possibly having to dig a tarantula out of their burrow and essentially turning their whole world upside down when rehousing seems unnecessarily stressful. So is it really a cardinal sin to raise a 2-2.5 inch juvie in the 10 gallon tank they'd eventually be moved to anyway?
While doin my homework on the subject, the concencous is that Ts stay close to their burrows dont wander far. So a larger enclosure would seem like a waste of space.