Small whipspiders

Martsinsects

Arachnopeon
I bought a few new terrariums for my tarantulas and other animals and I got 7 small aboreal terrariums for free. I always wanted a whip spider but I never had the space for them. I think these small terrariums would be good for a smaller species of whip spider. On the internet I can't find a lot information about different kinds of whip spiders and I only find the big species. I was wondering what are the smaller species of whip spiders?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I bought a few new terrariums for my tarantulas and other animals and I got 7 small aboreal terrariums for free. I always wanted a whip spider but I never had the space for them. I think these small terrariums would be good for a smaller species of whip spider. On the internet I can't find a lot information about different kinds of whip spiders and I only find the big species. I was wondering what are the smaller species of whip spiders?
Phrynus marginemaculatus is a common recommendation, easy to find, not the smallest, but fairly small.

Some in the genus Charinus are truly tiny, if you can find them offered anywhere.

If you're new to amblypygids, you might want a book by Orin McMonigle, reviewed here:

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
What @DaveM said. Phrynus Whitei is readily available, and the "white dot" variety doesn't grow very big.

Whitei is also an excellent beginner species by virtue of their hardiness. I don't keep Charinus Acosta, which to my knowledge is the only Charinidae species in the hobby in NA, but the Charinidae I work with are quite difficult. I'm not sure if recommend the genus for beginners

Martsinsects

Arachnopeon
Phrynus marginemaculatus is a common recommendation, easy to find, not the smallest, but fairly small.

Some in the genus Charinus are truly tiny, if you can find them offered anywhere.

If you're new to amblypygids, you might want a book by Orin McMonigle, reviewed here:
I can only find phrynus maesi do you know how big they get? Can't find it online.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
I can only find phrynus maesi do you know how big they get? Can't find it online.
They start small "obviously" but grow to a very respectable size. I'd imagine a 6x6x8 would be adequate, but tight. 6 inch whipspan is probably about right for these guys.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If you know the dimensions of the enclosures we can give you a better idea of what might work in them.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Marginemaculatus is my recommendation, brood mates are also tolerant of each other’s presence. Very active and voracious hunters in my experience, and very colorful as well(for some locales)
E66D89CD-9F97-4B39-B522-30157761D8EB.jpeg